Cleo M. CarlsonPortrait painterCleo Mansfield Carlson, a...


Cleo M. Carlson

Portrait painter

Cleo Mansfield Carlson, a Baltimore portrait painter who was especially well known for her pastels of children, died Tuesday of complications of a stroke at Broadmead, the Cockeysville retirement community.

Mrs. Carlson, who was 86, painted until about two years ago. She first gained attention for her work as a newspaper sketch artist in the 1920s.

Her portraits of children often included a small lower-corner sketch of the subject playing with a dog or engaging in some other activity. Her portraits in oils included Metropolitan Opera stars and other prominent people.

Mrs. Carlson was influenced by the work of noted Baltimore painter Jacques Maroger of the Maryland Institute. She had studied under him and Reginald Marsh in the 1940s.

The former Cleo Mansfield was a native of Morgan, Ga., and a graduate of Valdosta State College there.

In the 1920s, her sketches of prominent residents were published weekly in the Atlanta Constitution. She also published sketches in the Washington Post after moving to Baltimore in the 1930s.

Her husband, Albert W. D. Carlson, retired executive vice president of the Commercial Credit Corp., died in 1982.

A memorial service for Mrs. Carlson was to be conducted at 11 a.m. today in the auditorium at Broadmead, 13801 York Road.

She is survived by a daughter, Ingrid Shindell of Phoenix; a son, Albert Carlson Jr. of Danbury, Conn.; four grandchildren; and three great-grandchildren.

The family suggested memorial contributions to the Residents' Assistance Fund at Broadmead or to Immanuel Episcopal Church in Glencoe.

L. Maurita Peacock

Legal secretary

L. Maurita Peacock, who was a secretary in law and real estate offices, died Sunday at Good Samaritan Hospital of complications of cancer. She was 68 and lived on Hillen Road in Baltimore.

She retired about five years ago after 20 years with Grempler Realty Inc. She had earlier worked for the law firm of Hesse and Herold. Since her retirement, she had worked part time for the law firm of Margolis and Margolis.

The former L. Maurita Fish was born in Urbana, Iowa, where she graduated from high school. She completed her education at a business college in Pasadena, Calif.

She served in the Navy in World War II and moved to Baltimore after her marriage in 1946 to Ralph E. Peacock, now a retired A&P; store manager.

A memorial service was to be conducted at 7 p.m. tomorrow at Faith Presbyterian Church, 5400 Loch Raven Blvd., Baltimore.

In addition to her husband, her survivors include three daughters, Barbara Murray and Carol Crouse, both of Bel Air, and Margie Thompson of Timonium; two brothers, Don Fish of Inverness, Fla., and Laurence Fish of Urbana; six grandchildren; and two great-grandchildren.

Frank A. Scioscia

Ran popular bookstore

Frank A. Scioscia, a former publishing executive who ran a popular bookstore in Hastings-on-Hudson, N.Y., died of a heart attack July 10 at New York University Medical Center in Manhattan.

Since 1976, the 71-year-old Hastings-on-Hudson resident had operated Riverrun, a shop with 300,000 volumes of used and rare books. The store became an informal cultural center with poetry readings, meetings, and a weekly hootenanny session for folk-song fans.

Before opening the store, Mr. Scioscia worked for 30 years for Harper & Row, in its sales department, as an executive in the marketing department and for many years as the head of its juvenile books division.

The Scranton, Pa., native was a graduate of Reed College.

Surviving are his wife of 47 years, the former Mary Hershey; two sons, John of Gainesville, Fla., and Charles of Hastings-on-Hudson; two daughters, Louisa Stephens and Virginia Vazirani, both of Hastings-on-Hudson; two brothers, Carl Scioscia of Scranton and John Socia of Somerville, N.J.; three sisters, Mary Theresa Scaccia of Scranton, Ann Bufano of Baltimore and Virginia Ranken of Fort Lauderdale, Fla.; five grandchildren; and three great-grandchildren.

A Mass of Christian burial was offered July 13 at St. Stanislaus Kostka Roman Catholic Church in Hastings-on-Hudson.

Michael J. Batza Sr.

Hearst executive

Michael J. Batza Sr., a retired Hearst Corp. executive, died Tuesday of congestive heart failure at the Meridian Healthcare Center at Brightwood.

Though Mr. Batza, who was 78, maintained homes in Sandusky, Ohio, and Sarasota, Fla., he frequently visited his children, including a son in Towson.

He retired in 1981 as vice president and general manager of Hearst's Periodical Publishing Co. in Sandusky. With the Hearst division for 24 years, he earlier worked in New York City for other magazine publishers.

Born in Shelton, Conn., he served in the Navy aboard the USS Arkansas in the Pacific during World War II.

His wife, the former Grace Ann Sonaty, died in 1991.

A memorial service for Mr. Batza was to be conducted at 2:30 p.m. today at Stagwell Farm, the Eastern Shore home of his son, Michael J. Batza Jr. of Towson.

He is also survived by a son, John A. Batza of Marietta, Ga.; a daughter, Barbara A. Owen of Seabrook, Texas; two brothers, Andrew Batza of Shelton and Joseph Batza of New Haven, Conn.; six sisters, Mary Batza and Anna Hudabenko, both of Shelton, Olga Lynch of Topeka, Kan., Helen Hobby of Atlanta, Julia Batza of Jupiter, Fla., and Peggy Malec of Aliquippa, Pa.; eight grandchildren; and two great-grandchildren.

R. J. Greenwalt Sr.

Retired police sergeant

Roland J. Greenwalt Sr., who retired in April as a sergeant in the Baltimore County Police Department, died Monday of cancer at Sinai Hospital.

Mr. Greenwalt, who was 56 and lived in Reisterstown, was a member of the department for 27 years, most of the time at what is now the Wilkens Station. For a brief period, he was a corporal in the Western Traffic Division.

Born in Baltimore but reared in Reisterstown, he was a graduate of Milford Mill High School and served in the Navy in the late 1950s.

Services for Mr. Greenwalt were to be conducted at 11 a.m. today at the Eckhardt Funeral Chapel, 11605 Reisterstown Road, Owings Mills.

He is survived by his wife, the former Lynn Turner; a son, Roland

J. Greenwalt Jr. of Reisterstown; three sisters, Gertrude Zester of Eldersburg and Janice Delagrange and Bernice Ruppalt, both of Mount Airy; and a brother, Richard Greenwalt of Westminster.

Dr. Harry A. Miller

Diagnostic radiologist

Dr. Harry Archer Miller, a retired diagnostic and therapeutic radiologist, died Monday of hydrocephalus at the Meridian Nursing Center-Multi Medical in Towson.

Dr. Miller, who was 87 and lived on South Road in Mount Washington, retired 15 years ago after having been in private practice since 1935. He also was on the staffs at Mercy Medical Center and Sinai Hospital, and was a consultant to the Fort Howard Veterans Hospital.

Born in Baltimore, he was a 1922 graduate of City College and a 1926 graduate of the Johns Hopkins University. After his graduation from the medical school of what is now Case-Western Reserve University in Cleveland, he interned at the Walter Reed Army Medical Center in Washington and was a resident at Montefiore Hospital in New York City. He also was a fellow at the Curie Institute in Paris.

During World War II, as a lieutenant colonel in the Army Medical Corps, he was radiologist-in-chief at Army hospitals in this country and in England.

Services for Dr. Miller were to be conducted at noon today at Sol Levinson & Bros. Home, 6010 Reisterstown Road in Baltimore.

He is survived by his wife, the former Florence Cohen; a daughter, Dr. Jacqueline A. Miller Morrison of Cleveland; a son, Jeffrey B. Miller of Newark, Del.; and four grandchildren.

Albert W. Fritz III

Nursery wholesaler

Albert W. Fritz III, general manager for Maryland and Pennsylvania for the Shemin Nurseries, died Sunday after an apparent heart attack at a restaurant in Baltimore.

Mr. Fritz, who was 44 and lived in Columbia, had worked for 17 years for the wholesale nursery firm, which sells plants to retailers and to institutions. Shemin has facilities in this area in Burtonsville, Montgomery County, and in Oaks, Pa.

Earlier he had worked in a retail garden shop in Paramus, N.J.

Twelve years ago he moved from New Jersey to Burtonsville, where he stayed for about two years before settling in Columbia.

A native of Bayonne, N.J., he attended the University of Bridgeport in Connecticut and Jersey City State College.

A Mass of Christian burial for Mr. Fritz is to be offered at 10:30 a.m. tomorrow at St. John the Evangelist Roman Catholic Church, the Oakland Mills Interfaith Center, 5885 Robert Oliver Place in Columbia.

He is survived by his wife, the former M. Lourdes DiTolla; a daughter, Bevin; and two sons, Timothy and Daniel, all of Columbia; and a brother, Jack Fritz of Stuart, Fla.

Copyright © 2020, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad