Albert J. Ryan
Albert Joseph "Woody" Ryan, a former Baltimore Clippers hockey player and promotions manager, died July 7 at his home in north Baltimore after a heart attack. He was 66.
Mr. Ryan was known in Baltimore as "Mr. Clipper." He was the honoree on a "Woody Ryan Day" April 2, 1986, at a Skipjacks hockey game at the Civic Center downtown, now the Baltimore Arena.
The Baltimore native was part of the Clippers' front office from 1962 to 1977, doing promotional, group sales, statistical and public relations work.
In the 1950s, he played goalie for the Clippers and founded and coached the Baltimore Hockey Club, an amateur team. He played amateur hockey until he was 40.
In the 1940s and 1950s, he managed the former Sports Center Ice Rink on North Avenue near Charles Street, where he taught skating, played amateur hockey and coached high school teams.
Mr. Ryan served in the Air Force during World War II. After the war, he played on a military all-star hockey team that toured Europe, including Paris, Brussels and Vienna.
He began playing hockey as a child in Walbrook Junction and was a goalie for the Mount St. Joseph High School team.
Mr. Ryan had diabetes, which led to the amputation of the lower part of his legs in the mid-1980s.
He was divorced from his first wife, the former Janice Flint.
A memorial Mass was to be offered at 10 a.m. today at St. Pius X Roman Catholic Church, 6428 York Road.
Mr. Ryan is survived by his wife of 15 years, the former Edmee Loughlin of Virginia Beach, Va.; a daughter, Cecilia Lee Ryan of Austin, Texas; two sons, Terrence Ryan of Cedar Creek, Texas, and Christian P. Ryan of Austin, Texas; and three grandchildren.
Charles E. Hickey, a World War II combat veteran and 50-year employee of United States Fidelity & Guaranty Co., died Thursday of complications from a stroke at the northeast Baltimore home of his sister Dorothy Johnson. He was 85 and had been bedridden for five years.
The Baltimore native had lived in the northeast area of the city for 38 years.
Mr. Hickey retired from USF&G; in 1973 as superintendent of the eastern and southern divisions of the fidelity department.
In World War II, he was a staff sergeant in the Air Force and flew troops to the war zones. He earned an air medal with oak leaf cluster and presidential citation for his participation in the Normandy invasion.
He attended Calvert Hall College.
xTC A Mass of Christian Burial will be offered at 10 a.m. today at St. Matthew's Roman Catholic Church, 5401 Loch Raven Blvd.
A sister, Theresa Warnick, died last year.
In addition to Mrs. Johnson, Mr. Hickey's survivors include two other sisters, Ann Walter and Julia Rainey; a brother, Joseph Hickey; and several nieces and nephews, all of Baltimore.
The family suggested memorial contributions to the St. Joseph Home Health Care Hospice, 7620 York Road, Towson 21204.
Mary C. Buckley
Mary Colleen Buckley, who retired last year as assistant professor of English at Allegany Community College, died Thursday of cancer at the University of Maryland Medical Center. She was 62.
Mrs. Buckley had been on the staff of the college for 22 years. Before that she taught English at Cresaptown Elementary School, Beall High School in Frostburg and Saints Peter and Paul Elementary School and the Ursuline Academy, both in Cumberland.
Born Mary Colleen Burns in Midland in Allegany County, she attended St. Joseph's Elementary School there and Girls Central High School in Cumberland. In 1952, she graduated from the College of Notre Dame of Maryland.
She met James P. Buckley at Duquesne University in Pittsburgh, where she earned a master's degree in English in 1958.
They married in 1960 and moved to Cumberland the next year.
She was a member of Saints Peter and Paul Roman Catholic Church.
In addition to her husband, she is survived by two sons, Patrick E. Buckley of Forest Park, Ill., and Francis B. Buckley of Ellicott City; a brother, Francis C. Burns of Midland; and two grandchildren.
A Mass of Christian burial will be offered at 11 a.m. today at St. Joseph's Catholic Church, Midland.
The family suggested memorial contributions to the University of Maryland Cancer Center, 22 S. Greene St., Baltimore 21201-1595.