Earle Spencer Johnson, a retired plastics engineer, died July 4 of kidney failure at Francis Scott Key Medical Center. He was 64.
The Bel Air resident retired in 1991 from Hedwin Corp. after more than 30 years as a corporate facilities engineer with the firm, which manufactures plastic industrial containers. Before joining Hedwin in 1959, Mr. Johnson was a research engineer for Flight Refueling Inc. for about six years. In the late 1940s and early 1950s, he worked for National Chimney Service, building and repairing chimneys and providing lightning protection for area businesses. For a short time he was president of the chimney service established by his father.
Mr. Johnson attended Polytechnic Institute and earned a bachelor's degree in engineering from the Johns Hopkins University in 1950.
A member of the Society of Plastics Engineers, he was a past president of the Baltimore-Washington chapter and was awarded the president's cup for outstanding service in 1976. He also was chairman of the society's committee on metrication, representing it on the American National Metric Council and the Metric Commission of the Engineers Joint Council.
In May, he was elected Honored Service Member for his service to the society.
Mr. Johnson was a lifelong member of Govans-Boundary United Methodist Church, where he was Sunday school superintendent and financial secretary. He was a past president of the Methodist Men there.
An avid bird watcher, Mr. Johnson was a member of the National Audubon Society.
In the late 1950s and early 1960s, he was active in the Baltimore Jaycees, volunteering for Santa Claus Anonymous.
He is survived by his wife of 42 years, the former Ina Louise Earp of Bel Air; two daughters, Gayle Johnson Adams of Baltimore and Sandra J. Hartsock of Abingdon; a sister, Bernice Depro of Woodlawn; and three grandsons.
At his request, Mr. Johnson's body was donated to the Johns Hopkins medical school for research. Services will be held at 2 p.m. today at Govans-Boundary United Methodist Church, 5210 York Road.
The family suggested donations to the Emergency Food Closet at the Francis Scott Key Medical Center.