Around the house
* Smooth out caulking around windows, tubs and sinks by rubbing an ice cube over caulking seams.
* Remove cat hair from upholstery with a damp squeegee.
* When grilling outdoors, use separate plates for carrying raw and cooked meats. Raw juices can contaminate cooked food.
* Hair spray will remove stains on hands from felt-tipped markers.
* Buff kitchen counter tops weekly with a soft cloth that has been dipped in lemon oil. This will help preserve the finish and will maintain a shiny surface.
* Dust TV screen with a fabric softener sheet. Never spray with a cleaner, which could leak into the internal parts and cause damage.
* When traveling, save complimentary shower caps from hotels. They can be used as drip-catchers for hanging plants.
* Perk up a picnic table and recycle old sheets by making napkins from printed sheets and pillow cases. No sewing necessary if you cut out 12-inch squares with pinking shears.
In the garden
* When snipping flowers from thorny plants such as roses, avoid stabbing fingers by holding stems with a spring clothespin.