Woman convicted of lying '92 rape charge deemed false


A former Western Maryland College athlete and honor student was convicted yesterday of lying to authorities about being raped in February 1992 and harassed by mail through July 1992.

Amye Lynne Walker, 23, of Prince Frederick, Calvert County, pleaded not guilty to a statement of facts that Assistant State's Attorney Barton F. Walker III modified as part of an agreement with Public Defender Judson K. Larrimore.

Judge Luke K. Burns Jr. suspended a six-month sentence to the Carroll County Detention Center -- the maximum penalty -- and placed Walker on one year of supervised probation and two years of unsupervised probation.

Walker may ask for a sentence modification as part of the agreement. She was ordered to pay $3,000 restitution to the Rape Crisis Intervention Center.

Yesterday's proceedings began as a motions hearing to suppress statements and letters police had obtained from Walker.

But 30 minutes into the testimony of Special Agent J. Kent Cameron, the head FBI investigator in the case, Judge Burns called for a recess.

Two hours later, the attorneys returned to the courtroom and said they had reached an agreement.

"I suggested to them that they talk plea [agreement], and they started to talk," said Judge Burns after the trial. "And then I waited for them."

According to court records, Walker told Westminster City Police in February 1992 that she had been raped at knifepoint by an unknown man in her apartment on the college campus.

Detective Barbara Litchfield took the initial report but was unable to identify a suspect, Lt. Dean A. Brewer wrote in a district court document.

Shortly after the alleged attack, Walker told police that threatening letters had been sent to her at her campus residence. Police at first suspected the letters had come from her attacker.

The FBI became involved with the case after Walker said she continued to receive the letters through her post office box in Prince Frederick after she graduated from college in May 1992.

FBI surveillance teams followed Walker and watched her local post office, Agent Cameron said during the motions hearing.

"We were looking at it as she was being stalked and the individual stalking her was writing the letters," Agent Cameron said.

But when a handwriting expert from the FBI lab determined that the letters provided to the police by Walker were being written by ayoung female, the investigators became suspicious, the agent testified.

"We felt there were some inconsistencies in her story that could not be explained," Agent Cameron testified. "We were concerned that we were not getting the full story."

According to court documents, when FBI investigators interviewed Walker in August 1992, she said that she had sent some of the letters, but still said she had been sexually assaulted.

During an interview with Westminster City Police in September 1992, Walker provided a written statement admitting to authorities that she had fabricated the rape story and had written the letters.

Aside from the statements Walker made to the FBI and Westminster police, she wrote letters of apology to the special agents and police officers involved in the case, Walker said during the trial.

Walker had been an athlete during her college days. She was the leading scorer for the 1991 WMC Green Terrors soccer team. That season, she was a senior co-captain and earned her first selection to the women's soccer All-Star unit as a second-team midfielder.

Copyright © 2019, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad