Man held in machete attack on co-worker Suspect bothered by practical jokes


A nursery employee, accused of taking several hacks at a co-worker with a machete early yesterday, was being held on $40,000 bond.

State police at Westminster said he told them: "I just couldn't take it any more. I had been drinking and I lost my head. I know I shouldn't have done it, but now it's too late."

Antonio Martinez Gonzalez, 58, who lives on Hemlock Lane, was charged with assault with intent to murder, maiming, battery and assault following the 1:48 a.m. fracas. He was held at the Carroll County Detention Center.

Angel Amoros Castro, 34, of the same address, was released from Carroll County General Hospital after treatment. Police said his left ear was partially severed, his left arm was cut to the bone, and he suffered lacerations to his back and fingers of the left hand.

State police said they received a call about 1:50 a.m. for a stabbing and found Mr. Gonzalez walking along Hemlock Lane dressed in a T-shirt and blue shorts, both covered with blood.

After stopping the man, other officers went to the workers' house and found Mr. Castro, who was given emergency treatment and then taken to the hospital.

Mr. Castro told investigators that he went to bed about 9 p.m. and woke with Mr. Gonzalez standing over him, striking him with the machete. He said he was able to get up and get the weapon, which he threw from the building.

The accused told police that someone had been pulling practical jokes on him for the past month and that he was told Mr. Castro was behind them.

Investigators said Mr. Gonzalez told them he had drunk five or six beers at a local bar, and when he went to brush his teeth before going to bed he discovered all of his belongings scattered on the floor.

They said he told them he reached under the sink for his machete and went after Mr. Castro, "because I couldn't take it any more."

Copyright © 2019, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad