Charles FlowerreeAmbassadorCharles Conway Flowerree, a native of...

Charles Flowerree



Charles Conway Flowerree, a native of Baltimore who was United States ambassador to the Conference on Disarmament in Geneva in 1980 and 1981, during negotiations on the banning of chemical weapons, died Friday of cancer at his home in Arlington, Va.

Mr. Flowerree retired from the State Department in 1982 after 20 years in the foreign service and four years in the department's Bureau of Intelligence and Research.


He had also been an investigator for the United Nations on the use of chemical weapons in the Iran-Iraq War and co-author of the International Handbook on Chemical Weapons Proliferation, published in 1991.

Born in Baltimore, he was a 1940 graduate of the Polytechnic Institute and a 1943 graduate of the Naval Academy. During World War II, he served on a destroyer in the Pacific.

After assignments as naval attache in Tehran, Iran, and Karachi, Pakistan, he was a staff officer in the Pacific during the Korean War. He was a retired captain in the Naval Reserve.

When he first joined the foreign service in 1962, he held several posts dealing with Vietnam, including that of deputy director of the Vietnam Working Group in the State Department. After his retirement, he helped to write an official history of foreign relations in the late 1950s and early 1960s.

In addition to his home in Arlington, he had a home in

Rectortown, Va., where he was a member of the vestry of the Episcopal parish in the area, which includes Emmanuel Church in nearby Delaplane where memorial services are to be conducted at 11:30 a.m. Thursday.

He is survived by his wife of 45 years, the former Jane Corddry; a son, William K. Flowerree of East Hampton, Conn.; a daughter, Elisabeth Flowerree of Concord, N.C.; and two sisters, Mary Rett of Charleston, S.C., and Sally Harrison of Deer Isle, Maine.

Charles R. Reiter


Edmondson High teacher

Charles R. Reiter, a retired industrial arts and driver education teacher at Edmondson High School, died Sunday of respiratory failure at his home in Westminster.

Mr. Reiter, who was 84, retired in 1972 from Edmondson High School where he taught for many years. He had earlier served as a junior high school principal.

Born in Baltimore, he was a graduate of the Polytechnic Institute and the University of Maryland.

A member of St. John's Roman Catholic Church in Westminster, he earlier belonged to St. Cecilia's Church in Baltimore and St. Mark Church in Catonsville, where he was active in the Holy Name Society and as an adult leader in the Boy Scouts and other youth programs.

A Mass of Christian burial will be offered at 10 a.m. tomorrow at St. John's Church.


He is survived by his wife, the former Louise Helen Young; a son, Charles L. Reiter III of Catonsville; a daughter, Mary Reiter Coakley of Westminster; a sister, Miriam E. Reiter of Towson; and five grandchildren.

Audrey G. Reinke-Russell, a homemaker and hospital volunteer whose father founded the Goetze Candy Co., died Friday of pneumonia at St. Agnes Hospital. She was 80.

Born and reared in Baltimore, the former Audrey Goetze was a graduate of Eastern High School, Strayer Business College and the Peabody Institute.

Her grandfather, William A. Goetze, started the family business as the Baltimore Chewing Gum Co. in 1895. Her father, R. Melvin Goetze Sr., changed the Baltimore company's focus and its name in 1951. The company manufactures caramel and licorice creams.

She was married for 50 years to Harry A. Reinke, a retired Army colonel who died in 1981. The couple had lived in Stuttgart, Germany, and Hawaii during military tours before settling in Ruxton in 1965. Seven years later, upon Colonel Reinke's retirement from a civilian job at Fort Holabird, they moved to Sarasota, Fla.

From 1965 to 1972, Mrs. Reinke-Russell was a volunteer at Greater Baltimore Medical Center. She also volunteered at Doctors' Hospital in Sarasota for about 10 years.


She had been living at the Charlestown Retirement Community since February with her second husband, Charles E. Russell Sr. They were married in 1989.

She also is survived by a daughter, Anne R. Lambdin of Sparks; a brother, R. Melvin Goetze Jr. of Lutherville; three grandchildren; and three step-grandchildren.

Services were held Sunday at the Ruck Towson Funeral Home. The family suggested donations to the American Cancer Society.

Edith V. McGinnis

AT&T; representative

Edith Veronica McGinnis, a customer service representative for the American Telephone & Telegraph Co., died Friday at the Maryland Shock Trauma Center of injuries received earlier that day in an automobile accident at York and Timonium roads.


Mrs. McGinnis, who was 35 and lived on Cedonia Avenue in Northeast Baltimore, had worked for AT&T; since 1987. She had earlier worked in telemarketing for several companies.

The former Edith Veronica Day, known as "Bunny," was born in Baltimore and was a graduate of Mergenthaler Vocational-Technical High School. She also attended the Community College of Baltimore.

Her marriage to William G. McGinnis ended in divorce.

Services were to be conducted at 7:30 p.m. today at Jones Tabernacle Baptist Church, 2100 W. Baltimore St. in Baltimore.

Mrs. McGinnis is survived by two sons, Kenneth M. and Troy E. McGinnis; her parents, Claretha and William Smith; a brother, Derek D. Smith; and three sisters, Rene Stith, Joyce Smith and Patricia Brown. All are of Baltimore. Kenneth K. Felton, a retired University of Maryland faculty member and internationally known agricultural engineering consultant, died Saturday after a long battle with Parkinson's disease and related complications at Palm Garden, a nursing home in Vero Beach, Fla. He was 72.

Born in Kenton, Ohio, he was reared in Parsons, W.Va. Before attending college, he served as a corporal in the Army Air Forces during World War II.


In 1950, he earned a bachelor's degree in agricultural engineering at the University of Maryland at College Park, and a civil engineering degree there the following year. He received his master's degree in agricultural engineering from Pennsylvania State University in 1962 and was honored with the rank of professor emeritus in 1985 by the University of Maryland.

The former resident of Adelphi and Ocean Pines was on the College of Agriculture faculty on the College Park campus.

During his 30-year tenure, he was also a farm structures and broiler housing specialist for the Cooperative Extension Service and a researcher for the Agricultural Experiment Station. During the 1960s, he was a visiting lecturer on Nuclear Defense Design for professional engineers at various locations in Maryland. And in the 1970s, he gained recognition for devising a solar heating system for broiler houses and helped develop a low-temperature brooding system for young chicks in well-insulated and well-ventilated houses.

He managed a $21 million project as a grain warehousing specialist for the Republic of Korea during a one-year leave of absence in 1975. Three years later, he was an adviser for the U.S. Agency for International Development on dairy farm practices in Somalia.

A chairman of the Northeast Regional Agricultural Engineering Service from 1979 to 1980, he was a longtime Lions Club member, both in College Park and West Vero Beach.

Memorial services for Mr. Felton were to be held at 11 a.m. today at Asbury United Methodist Church in Vero Beach.


He is survived by his wife of 49 years, Josephine E. Treiber of Vero Beach; a son, Dr. Gary K. Felton of Lexington, Ky.; a sister, Joanna Cocchiarella of Merritt Island, Fla.; two brothers, Fred Felton of Titusville, Pa., and Wesley J. Felton of Pleasanton, Calif.; two grandchildren and many nieces and nephews.

The family suggested memorial contributions to the Department of Agricultural Engineering Scholarship Fund at the University of Maryland, College Park, Md. 20742.

Joseph P. Grochmal

Engineer, consultant

Joseph Paul Grochmal, a retired mechanical engineer and president of a consulting firm, died Friday of lung cancer at Waynesboro Community Hospital in Virginia. He was 80.

Born and reared in Baltimore, he graduated from Polytechnic Institute and attended the Johns Hopkins University.


He was an engineer at several businesses, including the Calvert Distilling Co., Revere Copper & Brass Co. and the National Plastic Products Co.

He moved to Waynesboro in 1954 to work for the Wayn-Tex Inc. manufacturing plant. He traveled overseas for the company as a mechanical engineer and later as a consultant. He retired in 1991 as president of Grochmal's Associates Inc., a consulting firm.

He was well-known for his love of sports and his knack for fixing things around the house. Mr. Grochmal, who lived behind a golf course in Waynesboro, had a great love for the sport and played as often as he could, family members said.

A memorial Mass for Mr. Grochmal was to be offered at 11 a.m. today at St. John the Evangelist Roman Catholic Church in Waynesboro.

He is survived by his wife of 46 years, the former Charlotte T. Willett; two daughters, Mary Patricia Grochmal of Waynesboro and Pauline Ann Feezell of Ponca City, Okla.; a sister, Rae Lewis of Baltimore; and two brothers, Albert Grochmal and Calvin Grochmal, both of Baltimore.

The family suggested memorial contributions to the Waynesboro First Aid Crew, P.O. Box 1427, Waynesboro, Va. 22980, or to Hospice, P.O. Box 992 in Waynesboro.


C. A. Bodenschatz

Retired Navy chief

Christian Adam Bodenschatz, who served in Navy construction battalions for 30 years, died June 21 of complications after surgery for a ruptured aneurysm at Gulfport (Miss.) Memorial Hospital.

The 64-year-old resident of Pass Christian, Miss., retired from the Navy in 1980 with the rank of chief petty officer.

He enlisted in the Navy in 1950 and saw duty in the Korean and Vietnam wars.

Born in Baltimore, he was a 1948 graduate of Baltimore City College. He worked for The Sun as a copy boy while in high school. After graduation, he worked briefly for Black & Decker (U.S.) Inc.


He was a member of First Presbyterian Church in Bay St. Louis, Miss. After retiring from the Navy, he worked for the Prestige Printing Co. in Long Beach, Miss.

He is survived by his wife of 18 years, Yvonne of Pass Christian; two daughters, Niccole Bodenschatz of Pass Christian and Robin Miller of Valparaiso, Ind.; a son, George Trotter of Waveland; two brothers, Carl Bodenschatz of Timonium and George Bodenschatz of Essex; two sisters, Ann Williams of Parkville and Elsie Steindle of Baltimore; and seven grandchildren.

Memorial services were held June 24 at First Presbyterian Church in Bay St. Louis.

Agnes M. Prochaska

Retired C&P; supervisor

Agnes M. Prochaska, 85, a retired supervisor with Chesapeake & Potomac Telephone Co., died Saturday of pneumonia at her sister's home in Baltimore.


The Baltimore native was with C & P for more than 40 years.

A Mass of Christian burial will be offered at 10:30 a.m. tomorrow at St. Matthew's Roman Catholic Church, 5401 Loch Raven Blvd., Baltimore.

She is survived by six sisters, Julia and Mary Prochaska of Baltimore; Helen Prochaska of El Cerrito, Calif.; Mildred Markowski, Caroline Nehus and Regina Allen of Baltimore; and many nieces and nephews.

The family suggested donations be made to St. Vincent's Infant Home, 2600 Pot Spring Road, Timonium, Md. 21093.

Henri W. Fleming

Taught for 48 years


Henri Williams Fleming, a longtime teacher in Baltimore public and private schools, died Saturday at her Bolton Hill home. She was 83.

The former Henri Williams was born in Danville, Va. Her family moved to Baltimore when she was 7 and settled in Bolton Hill, where she lived for the rest of her life.

She was a graduate of Western High School and Towson State Teachers College. She was an elementary school teacher in the Baltimore school system from 1929 to 1949.

In 1948, she married Henry Fleming, an executive of the United Fruit Co. He died in 1964.

That year , she began teaching first grade at Boys' Latin School, where she remained until she retired in 1977.

She was an avid gardener, a devotee of classical music and a lifetime member of Memorial Episcopal Church in Baltimore. She was active for many years as a volunteer for Meals on Wheels.


Services for Mrs. Fleming are to be held at 11 a.m. tomorrow at Memorial Episcopal Church, Bolton Street and West Lafayette Avenue.

She is survived by a daughter, Mary Fleming Thompson, and a son, Henry Fleming Jr., both of Baltimore; a sister, Mary T. Williams of New York; and five grandchildren.

The family suggested memorial contributions to the Maryland Affiliate of the American Diabetes Association, 2 Reservoir Circle, Baltimore 21208.

George Philip Bonar

Insurance broker

George Philip Bonar, a retired insurance broker, died Friday of cancer at his home in the Homeland section of North Baltimore. He was 69.


Born and raised in Baltimore, he was a graduate of Calvert Hall High School, Loyola College and the Mount Vernon School of Law. He also studied at the Berlitz School of Languages and the Insurance Brokers Institute in Boston.

He served in the Army during the latter years of World War II.

A self-employed insurance broker, he specialized in commercial

and fraternal account development and sales. He retired in 1988.

He had been a 3rd Degree member of the Knights of Columbus, a former commander of an American Legion post, a former vice commander of a Veterans of Foreign Wars post and a life member of the Disabled American Veterans.

Services for Mr. Bonar were held yesterday at the Mitchell-Wiedefeld Home Inc., 6500 York Road in Rodgers Forge.


He is survived by his wife of 29 years, the former Carol Davis; three daughters, Robin Lynn Hymiller, Judi Lockett and Mary Ellen Otter, all of Baltimore; two brothers, John F. Bonar of Baltimore and James J. Bonar of Cincinnati; and three grandchildren.

Edward V. Watts Sr.

Trade group secretary

Edward Vernon Watts Sr., a former administrator and secretary for the Steamship Trade Association, died Saturday of an acute respiratory infection at the Greater Baltimore Medical Center. He was 84 and a longtime resident of Towson.

Born and reared in Baltimore, he graduated from Polytechnic Institute and attended night classes at local colleges.

He was an accountant in the 1940s for Dickman, Wright & Pugh. In the 1950s, he became the administrator and secretary for the Steamship Trade Association, a trade group for employers of unionized dock workers.


He retired from the trade group in 1966 and dabbled in real estate sales until the early 1970s.

He was a member of Mount Vernon Lodge No. 151 of the Masons and Boumi Temple. He enjoyed gardening, fishing and hunting.

Memorial services will be held 11 a.m. today at the Ruck Towson Funeral Home, 1050 York Road.

He is survived by his wife of 52 years, the former Carroll Lavenia Shields; a son, Edward Vernon Watts Jr. of Towson; two grandchildren; and two great-grandsons.

The family suggested memorial donations to the Shriners Hospital for Crippled Children, in care of Boumi Temple, 4900 N. Charles St., Baltimore 21210.

Rev. Roland A. Ries


Retired pastor

The Rev. Roland A. Ries, 76, a retired Lutheran minister who had been the pastor of several Carroll County churches, died Thursday of renal failure at York (Pa.) Hospital.

He retired in 1985 after 22 years as pastor of the former Silver Run Lutheran Parish churches of St. Matthew's and St. Mary's, both in Pleasant Valley near Westminster.

Mr. Ries began his pastoral career in 1945 at the old Zion Lutheran Church in Hamilton, which he desegregated in 1955. He left the church in 1958, and it closed in 1990. He was the director of parish education and youth work for the former dTC Maryland Lutheran Synod from 1958 to 1963 and was the director of its summer school, conducted at Hood College. In 1959 he became the first director of the Camp and Conference Center at Mar-Lu Ridge in the Frederick County community of Jefferson. He also was the Protestant chaplain on the hospital ship Hope in 1968.

After his retirement, he performed volunteer work for the library of the Lutheran Theological College in Makumira, Tanzania, from 1985 to 1987. He also was an administrative assistant at the University of Nations, Kailua-Kona, Hawaii, and participated in the University Outreach Program in the Philippines, Taiwan and Japan from 1988 to 1989.

He was born in Chicago and came to Baltimore in 1929 when his father became pastor of Trinity Lutheran Church on East Monument Street. He was a 1934 graduate of City College and received his bachelor's degree in political science and economics in 1937 from the Johns Hopkins University.


After his graduation he became an interviewer for the Gallup Organization from 1939 to 1942, then returned to school to receive a divinity degree from the Gettysburg Lutheran Theological Seminary in 1945. He earned a master's in education from Hopkins in 1966.

His wife, the former Ilona Reichl whom he married in 1943, said that at the time of his death, he had satisfied the credit requirements for a doctoral degree in human development.

Services were set for 11 a.m. today at Grace Lutheran Church, 21 Carroll St., Westminster.

In addition to his wife, he is survived by two sons, Lawrence E. Ries of Rockville and Daniel R. Ries of Belmont, Mass.; a daughter, Helen C. Ries of Charleston, W.Va.; a brother, Eugene Ries of Geneva, Switzerland; and four grandchildren.

The family suggested memorial contributions to the York Hospital Dialysis Center, 410 Pine Grove Commons, York, Pa. 17403.



Dimas Rodriguez

Chef for 8 area kitchens

Dimas Rodriguez, a retired chef, died of colon cancer Friday at the Greater Baltimore Medical Center.

Mr. Rodriguez, 69, was born in Puerto Rico and received his culinary training in Europe.

He moved to Baltimore in the early 1960s, and was the executive chef at the Suburban Country Club for 11 years. He later worked as chef or head chef at the Maryland Club, the House of Hess, the Pimlico Hotel restaurant, the Belvedere Hotel, the Greenspring Valley Hunt Club and Chiapparelli's Restaurant in Towson. He worked part time as assistant chef at Memorial Stadium before retiring in 1989.

Services were conducted yesterday at the Evans Chapel of Memories in Parkville.


He is survived by his wife of 18 years, the former Virginia Schlegel; daughters Eleanor Smith of Miami, Suzanne Kourlesis of Medford, N.J., and Kimberly Geisler and Karen Kourlesis of Baltimore; sons Dimas Rodriguez Jr. and William Rodriguez of Michigan, George Rodriguez of Miami and Samuel Kourlesis of Baltimore; and many grandchildren and great-grandchildren.

Charles P. Rithman

U.S. Army lieutenant

Charles Paul Rithman, a retired U.S. Army lieutenant, died of heart failure Thursday at North Arundel Hospital. He was 82.

Born and reared in Washington, Mr. Rithman served in the Army for 33 years before retiring in 1958. He was awarded the Silver Star and Purple Heart, having been shot in the arm and leg during World War II.

After his retirement, Mr. Rithman moved to Glen Burnie where he worked for the Chuck Wagon Diner, driving a coffee truck and ice cream truck.


Mr. Rithman was a member of American Legion Post No. 40, former commander of Veterans of Foreign Wars Post 160, both in Glen Burnie.

A memorial service was conducted last night at the Singleton Funeral Home in Glen Burnie.

He is survived by four sons, Charles D. Rithman, John P. Rithman, Edward F. Rithman and Harry R. Rithman, all of Glen Burnie; three daughters, Rosemary L. Mounts of Glen Burnie, and Maryetta L. Baquol and Gloria M. Procopio, both of Baltimore; two sisters, Isabelle Graham and Catherine Winters, both of Washington; 27 grandchildren; and 22 great-grandchildren.