Around the house
* For a festive July Fourth, arrange small paper sandwich bags around outside deck or patio. Fill partially with sand or cat litter and position a candle inside. When the candle is lighted, bags will glow. Make sure the bags are safely placed away from children, pets and clothing.
* Wash fabric cushions from outdoor furniture with one part dishwashing liquid to four parts water. Scrub fabric with suds. Wipe off with a clean, damp sponge.
* To sweep up broken glass, try using a slice of bread that will attract tiny fragments.
* Remove hard water deposits from washing machine. Fill washer with hot water and pour in 1 gallon of distilled vinegar. Run empty machine through regular cycle. Treat every six months.
* A curling iron can be used for quick presses of ribbons and other sewing notions without having to lug out the ironing board.
* Dissolve denture tablets in water-filled coffee cups or toilet bowl to remove stains. Let sit and scrub marks away.
In the garden
* Prevent disease in garden. Clean up garden debris, disinfect tools with 1 part bleach to 10 parts water, and avoid touching plants when they are wet.