James C. WilliamsWorked for Social SecurityJames C....

James C. Williams

Worked for Social Security


James C. Williams, a retired employee of the Social Security Administration and active Baptist church member, died last Monday of a heart attack at Medical Hospital of Virginia in Richmond. He was 69.

From 1962 to his retirement in 1978, he worked at the SSA as a medical coder, examining Medicare claims.


Before working for the SSA, Mr. Williams was an orderly at the Public Service Hospital, now known as Wyman Park Medical Center.

Mr. Williams was active in Morning Star Baptist Church, where he was a member of the Sunday School, Baptist Training Union and trustee board. He was later affiliated with House of Hope and the People's Baptist Church, where he also was a trustee.

During the last months of his life, he regularly attended Concord Baptist Church.

Mr. Williams enjoyed the theater, traveling and sports. Pinochle was his favorite pastime, relatives said. Every Tuesday and Thursday, Mr. Williams, known as "Moot" to childhood friends and relatives, played the card game at the Forest Park Senior Center, where he was a life member.

He also belonged to the Waxter Center and the Poor Boys Club.

A native of Edgecomb County, N.C., he was educated in its public school system and graduated from Booker T. Washington Senior High School in 1943.

Immediately after graduation, he enlisted in the Marine Corps and served for three years in the United States and abroad.

On New Year's Day 1946, a month before his discharge, he and Naomi Fairley were married. They moved to Baltimore the same year.


Services are scheduled for 11:30 a.m. today at Concord Baptist Church, 5204 Liberty Heights Ave.

In addition to his wife, Mr. Williams is survived by two sons, James Williams Jr. and Melvin Williams, both of Baltimore; two brothers, Arthur Williams of Buffalo, N.Y., and Edward Williams of Rocky Mount, N.C.; four grandchildren; and three great-grandchildren.

James John Athas

Restaurant owner

James John Athas, who owned and operated John's Restaurant in South Baltimore for nearly 40 years, died of a stroke Friday at Harbor Hospital Center. He was 75.

Mr. Athas, who lived for the last four years at Chesapeake Manor Nursing Home in Arnold, ran the restaurant from the end of World War II until he became ill in 1983.


Family members subsequently ran the restaurant until they sold it to another family in 1990.

Mr. Athas, who was born in Pittsburgh, had worked full time in the restaurant from the time he completed the sixth grade at the city's Francis Scott Key School No. 76 near his home. His father founded the business in 1922.

During World War II, the restaurant was closed while Mr. Athas served in the Navy in the South Pacific.

The restaurant, noted for its Coney Island hot dogs and burgers, was at 1433 E. Fort Ave., a converted rowhouse. The restaurant was on the ground floor and the family lived on the second floor.

"Everyone said, 'Let's go to Hot Dog John's,' " said Paula Athas, Mr. Athas' daughter.

"You never turned anyone away [who had] less than a dollar in their pocket," she said. "We couldn't give you money, but we could give you something to eat."


SG Mr. Athas' wife of 49 years, the former Antoinette Calos, died last


He was a member of the Masons.

Services are scheduled for 12:30 p.m. today at the Cemetery Chapel of the Resurrection in the Greek Orthodox Cemetery on Windsor Mill Road.

Besides his daughter, Mr. Athas is survived by a son, John Athas of Pasadena; a brother, George Athas of Brooklyn Park; six grandchildren; and a great-granddaughter.

John M. Jastremski


Program manager

John Michael "Jack" Jastremski, a Baltimore native and retired program manager with the Army Corps of Engineers, died of colon cancer Wednesday at his home in San Ramon, Calif. He was 55.

Mr. Ramon was a 1955 graduate of Baltimore Polytechnic Institute and received a bachelor's degree in civil engineering from Clemson University in South Carolina in 1962.

He served in the Army from 1962 to 1964, and was stationed in Italy as a Teletype operator. After completing his duty, he returned to Maryland, where he and his wife settled in Cockeysville.

He began working for the Army Corps of Engineers as a civil engineer in 1964. He was transferred to the South Pacific division, which covered the West Coast and Guam, in San Francisco in 1981. He retired in January.

He was a member of the American Society of Military Engineers and the Porsche Club of America.


A Mass of Christian burial will be offered at 10 a.m. tomorrow at St. John's Roman Catholic Church in Hydes.

Mr. Ramon is survived by his wife of 19 years, the former Nancy Lipscomb; a sister, Lynlee Brock of Glen Arm; and his father, Walter P. Jastremski of Baldwin.

Karl Otto Lietzau

Office manager

Karl Otto Lietzau of Glen Burnie, a former office manager for the Kroeger Electric Co., died of cancer Thursday at Anne Arundel General Hospital. He was 81.

Born in Baltimore, Mr. Lietzau attended Emmanuel Lutheran School and Baltimore Polytechnic Institute.


After leaving school, he worked for many years as a route salesman for the Meadow Gold Ice Cream Co. He later went to work for Kroeger Electric, and was office manager for 11 years until his retirement in 1975.

Fond of gardening, woodworking and playing cards, Mr. Lietzau was also a member of the St. Paul's Lutheran Church in Glen Burnie.

Services were scheduled for 1 p.m. today at the Singleton Funeral Home, 1 Second Ave. SW in Glen Burnie.

Mr. Lietzau is survived by his wife, the former Alma Wockenfuss; two sons, Karl E. Lietzau of Sudbury, Mass., and Roland Kroeger of Grasonville; four grandchildren; and six great-grandchildren.

The family suggested donations to the American Cancer Society.