Q: What is being done to commemorate the 50th anniversary of D-Day, which will be June 6, 1994?
A: Throughout next year, and especially on June 6, there will be observances in Britain and France to recall the day in World II that Allied troops under Gen. Dwight D. Eisenhower left England and landed on the coast of Normandy.
The morning of June 6 will be devoted to ceremonies at cemeteries in Normandy where American, British and Canadian soldiers are buried. Of particular interest to most American travelers will be the ceremonies at the American cemetery in Colleville-sur-Mer, eight miles north west of Bayeux near Omaha Beach, where most of the American forces landed. Morning ceremonies are also planned at the British cemetery in Bayeux and the Canadian cemetery in Beny-Reviers.
In the afternoon, the biggest observance of the year will take place at Omaha Beach. Among the heads of state expected to attend is the Grand Duke of Luxembourg, who participated in the invasion.
More information on events planned between June 3 and Aug. 22 by the Department of Defense World War II 50th Anniversary Commemoration Committee may be obtained from the Director of Operations and Special Events, Department of the Army, Office of the Secretary of the Army, Washington, D.C. 20301.
For information on events in Normandy, write to Jean-Claude Demais, Comite Regional de Tourisme de Normandie, 14 Rue Charles Corbeau, F-27000, Evreux, France.
The following is a selected list of tour operators offering D-Day trips in 1994. Rates are approximate and are for one person in double occupancy.
* Battlefield Tours U.S.A., 118 Village Street, Slidell, La. 70458; (504) 641-0779 or (800) 635-5018. June 1 to 11; $2,495, including air fare.
* Berkshire Travel Agency, 812 Penn Street, P.O. Box 14686, Reading, Pa. 19612; (215) 374-2204 or (800) 223-3884. Sept. 7 to 16; $2,495, including air fare to London and Hovercraft crossing from Dover to Calais.
* Convention and Group Travel, 7 West 11th St., Lawrence, Kan. 66044; (913) 841-8687 or (800) 638-8386. A seven-day trip starting in Paris for $808, and an 11-day trip to Normandy and Bastogne, Belgium, site of the Battle of the Bulge, for $1,285, both without air fare; dates to be announced.
* Galaxy Tours, P.O. Box 234, Wayne, Pa. 19087; (215) 964-8010 or (800) 523-7287. May 27 to June 9 to Brussels, Luxembourg, Normandy and Paris and May 29 to June 10 to England, Normandy and Paris; $3,215 and $3,048, respectively, both including air fare.
* Plane/Travelmasters, 1750 K Street, N.W., Suite 510, Washington, D.C. 20006; (202) 463-4260 or (800) 638-8784. June 2 to 15, London to Normandy to Waterloo; $1,610, without air fare.
* Valor Tours, Schoonmaker Building, Sausalito, Calif. 94965; (415) 332-7850. June 1 to 10; $2,260, including air fare. May 25 to June 12 aboard the Royal Viking Sun from Montreal to Rouen; $4,416, cruise only, with return by air from Paris or elsewhere in Europe at an additional charge. May 28 to June 6 aboard the Song of Flower from Lisbon to Rouen; $3,600, cruise only.
* Mr. Burton's Historical Tours, c/o Britannia Roads, 1147 Marsh St., San Luis Obispo, Calif. 93401; (805) 549-0876 or (800) 457-0464. May 31 to June 14, to England, Normandy, Luxembourg and Paris; $2,300, without air fare.
* Select Travel Service of London, 795 Franklin Ave., Franklin Lakes, N.J. 07417; (800) 223-0599. Six 13-day tours from April 27 to June 30 from London to Normandy and Paris; $1,545, does not include