Nearly every licensed pari-mutuel betting outlet in Maryland, except Timonium and Marlboro racetracks, is open for some kind of horse-racing action over the Memorial Day weekend.
Today through Monday, a total of 221 races, includin thoroughbred, harness and steeplechase, will be offered either live or via simulcast at Pimlico and Laurel race courses, &r; Rosecroft and Delmarva raceways, the Fair Hill steeplechase course near Elkton or the Cracked Claw off-track betting parlor in Urbana.
All of the races, except the Fair Hill steeplechases, are offered i one package as part of Maryland's new cross-breed, multiple signal and off-track betting program.
The weekend lineup looks like this:
Thoroughbred Pimlico Live Cards:
* Today: 10 races starting at 1:15 p.m. Top Canadian traine Roger Attfield is expected to be at the course to saddle Keen Falcon in the $75,000 Riggs Handicap at 1- 1/2 miles on the turf. Favorites are Social Retiree and
* Tomorrow: 10 races starting at 1:15 p.m. Logroller and P.J Higgins are entered in the Knightly Manner Stakes. The 3 year olds could renew their Woodlawn Stakes rivalry except for one hitch: Logroller runs instead tonight in the Jersey Derby at Garden State Park.
* Monday: 10 races starting at 1:15 p.m. The feature is the Hillto Stakes for 3 year old fillies at 1 1/8 miles on the turf.
* Belmont Park. Nine races each day starting at 1 p.m. Slerp an Now Listen run today in the Roseben Handicap; the Genuine Risk Stakes is run tomorrow at six furlongs; and Bertrando faces Alydeed and the Rokeby Stable 3 year old, England Expects, on Monday in the $500,000 Metropolitan Mile.
* Churchill Downs. Ten races each day starting at 1 p.m. M Cielo, 14th in the Kentucky Derby, starts today in the $50,000 Jefferson Cup. Tricky Fun and Never Wavering head tomorrow's feature, a $31,000 six-furlong allowance; and 2 year olds run Monday in the $100,000 Kentucky Budweiser Breeders' Cup.
* Hollywood Park. Nine races start each day at 4 p.m. Undefeated Soviet Problem runs today in the Grade II Railbird Stakes. The Gamely Handicap is featured tomorrow, and the $500,000 Hollywood Turf Cup is run on Monday. The Hollywood races are not telecast after 7:15 p.m., but advance wagering is available on races run after that time.
Rosecroft Live Cards:
* Tonight: 13 races starting at 7:35 p.m. Night's Journey is th favorite in the $50,000 Maryland Sire Stakes Championship.
* Tomorrow Night: 13 races starting at 7:30 p.m.
* Monday: No racing.
Delmarva Downs Live Cards:
* Tonight: 13 races starting at 7:40 p.m. The Mike Keite Memorial, named in honor of the track's late announcer, is featured.
* Tomorrow night: 12 races starting at 7:40 p.m.
* Monday: No racing
Out-of State Simulcasts:
* The Meadowlands. The 13-race card starts at 7:30 p.m. tonight The Meadowlands is dark tomorrow and the Monday afternoon card will not be simulcast in Maryland.
* Freehold. The 12-race card starts today at 1 p.m. There will b 11 races tomorrow and Monday, starting at 1 p.m. Freehold closes for the summer after Monday's card.
Fair Hill Live Card:
* Monday. Post-time for the 9-race card is 1 p.m. There will be si hurdle, one timber and two flat races. The feature is the $25,000 Miles Valentine Novice Stakes. The Janet Elliot-trained DTC three-horse entry of Quadrigeminal, Noble Connection and Go Panther is the 6-5 early line choice.
Pimlico/Laurel starts Monmouth simulcasts
Pimlico/Laurel will start simulcasting the Monmouth Park races from Oceanport, N.J., on Tuesday and Friday afternoons, starting next week.
Rocco OK after spill
Jockey Joe Rocco hopes to ride today despite hurting his ankle in a starting-gate mishap before Pimlico's ninth race yesterday.