Anthony M. PrimusCustom tailorAnthony M. Primus, who...


Anthony M. Primus

Custom tailor

Anthony M. Primus, who designed clothes in his custom tailoring shop in Annapolis, died Wednesday of complications from kidney disease at the Meridian Nursing Center-Cromwell in Baynesville.

He was 84 and lived on Valley View Road in Towson.

He retired in 1977 after operating a tailoring business on Maryland Avenue near the Naval Academy since the early 1930s.

The Baltimore native earlier worked in his father's tailoring shop in Baltimore.

A former commodore of the Baltimore Yacht Club and a former master of the Landmark Lodge of the Masons, he also belonged to the York Rite and Boumi Temple, where he was a member of the 100 Club and a charter member of the temple's yacht club.

His wife, the former Marie A. Rezek, died in 1990.

Services for Mr. Primus were to be conducted at 11 a.m. today at the Dulaney Valley Memorial Gardens Mausoleum, 200 E. Padonia Road, Timonium.

He is survived by a daughter, Marlene A. Naegele of Towson; a sister, Rosalie Sonberg of Glen Arm; two grandchildren; and a great-grandson.

William Henderson

Sheet metal worker

William T. Henderson, a retired sheet metal worker at the Coast Guard Yard in Curtis Bay, died Wednesday of heart failure at North Arundel Hospital.

He was 66 and lived on Brookfield Road in Pasadena.

He retired in 1972 after 27 years at the Coast Guard Yard.

For about five years after his retirement, the native of Jacobsville, Anne Arundel County, drove a school bus in the Pasadena area for Brooks Transportation.

Services for Mr. Henderson were to be conducted at 10 a.m. today at the George J. Gonce Funeral Home, 169 Riviera Drive in Riviera Beach.

He is survived by his wife, the former Betty Lou Edwards; TC daughter, Diana Victoria Henderson of Glen Burnie; two grandchildren; and a great-grandson.

Sister Evelyn

High school principal

Sister Evelyn Dougherty, O.S.F., principal of the Catholic High School of Baltimore, died Wednesday at Union Memorial Hospital of complications of a broken leg she suffered in a fall a week earlier.

Sister Evelyn, who was 62, had been principal of the East Baltimore school for the past four years. She also taught chemistry.

Before her assignment to Catholic High, she had been principal of Our Lady of Mount Carmel High School in Middle River. Earlier, she taught at schools in Philadelphia and Reading, Pa., areas.

A native of Philadelphia, she was a graduate of the West Philadelphia Catholic Girls' High School. She then worked for a year as a telephone operator before entering the Sisters of St. Francis of Philadelphia in 1949.

Sister Evelyn earned bachelor's and master's degrees at Villanova University. She also did graduate work in science elsewhere and earned a master's degree in business administration at Towson State University.

A Mass of the Resurrection for Sister Evelyn was to be offered at 10 a.m. today at the Roman Catholic Shrine of the Little Flower, 3500 Belair Road.

She is survived by three brothers, the Rev. Edward Dougherty, S.J., of Annapolis, John Dougherty of Wilmington, Del., and Michael Dougherty of Sea Isle, N.J.; a sister, Eileen O'Brien of Havertown, Pa.; 27 nieces and nephews; and 39 great-nieces and great-nephews.

Herman A. Jones Sr.

Baltimore police officer

Services for Officer Herman A. Jones Sr., the off-duty Baltimore policeman who was shot and killed early Wednesday when three youths robbed him in a carryout restaurant, are to be conducted at 10 a.m. Tuesday at the Little Ark Missionary Baptist Church, 1263 E. North Ave.

Officer Jones, who was 50 and lived in Northeast Baltimore, joined the Baltimore police force in July 1969 and had been assigned to the Central District since November of that year.

Recipient of six official commendations, he was a foot patrolman who was in regular contact with the merchants on his post, which included parts of Howard and Eutaw streets. He was described by a fellow officer as "the type of policeman they're trying to model neighborhood policing after."

Born in Baltimore, he was a 1962 graduate of City College, where he played end on the football team.

He served in the Army after graduation from high school, reaching the rank of sergeant.

Officer Jones is survived by his wife of 26 years, the former Linda Franklin; a daughter, Shawna Jones; a son, H. Anthony Jones II;

and a sister, Grace Neal. All are of Baltimore.

Philip O. Rogers

Legg Mason executive

Philip O. Rogers, a senior vice president of the brokerage firm of Legg Mason, died Thursday of heart failure at his home on Hillside Road in Roland Park. He was 80.

He had started working for a predecessor firm in 1930 and was a former member of the Legg Mason board.

A native of the Ellicott City area, he was a graduate of the Tome School in Port Deposit.

During World War II, he enlisted in the Army Air Forces and served in North Africa and Italy. He attained the rank of lieutenant colonel and his decorations included the Bronze Star and the Purple Heart.

He was a member of the Baltimore Country Club and of the Maryland Society of the Cincinnati.

Services for Mr. Rogers were to be conducted at 2 p.m. today at the Episcopal Church of the Redeemer, Charles Street and Melrose Avenue in Baltimore.

He is survived by his wife of 55 years, the former Amelia Foy Burrows; a son, Edward Burrows Rogers of Ellicott City; and three grandchildren.

The family suggested memorial contributions to the Howard County Historical Society or the Maryland Science Center.

Copyright © 2019, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad