Revolver that killed officer still missing Police also seek officer's weapon


The .38-caliber revolver used to kill a Baltimore police officer Wednesday is still missing, as well as the officer's 9 mm service pistol that was stolen from him as he lay mortally wounded, police said.

Investigators yesterday continued to search in a weed-infested field at Chester and Gay streets, where one of the youths charged with killing Officer Herman A. Jones Sr. claims to have thrown the .38.

The youth, Herbert Wilson, 17, told detectives he threw the gun into the field after running from the Jung Hing Chinese Carryout in the 1500 block of N. Gay St., police said. Officer Jones was slain during an early morning shootout at the East Baltimore carryout.

City Department of Public Works employees used weed-cutters to cut through the waist-high grass and bushes, and a police K-9 unit was called in, but the gun was not found, police said.

"It could be that it wasn't in fact thrown there, or it may have been picked up by someone else," said Agent Doug Price, a city police spokesman. "We want to find it before it's used in another crime, or in the worst possible scenario, another death."

Police have not been able to determine the whereabouts of the officer's 9 mm Glock service pistol, Agent Price said.

Herbert Wilson, of the 2100 block of E. Biddle St. and the other two suspects -- Clifton Price, 17, of the 1600 block of N. Montford St., and Derrick Broadway, 16, of the 1800 block of Aiken St. -- are each charged as adults with first-degree murder, armed robbery and felony use of a handgun.

Officer Jones, 50, a 23-year veteran, died in surgery after suffering massive blood loss from gunshot wounds to the pelvis and knee.

He had just finished his 4 p.m.-to-midnight shift at the Central District and stopped at the carryout for food when he was ambushed by the youths, who said they were prowling the area looking for someone to rob, police said.

The officer, on his knees after being pushed to the ground, got off five shots from his pistol and hit both the Wilson and Broadway youths. The Wilson youth was treated and released at Johns Hopkins Hospital for a thigh wound.

Derrick Broadway ran about four blocks before collapsing with wounds to the chest and shoulder. He was under police guard in serious but stable condition at Hopkins last night.

Police said search warrants served at the boys' homes turned up two bullet shell casings, a bullet and several bloody articles of clothing. A copper-jacketed, hollow-point bullet was found on the Broadway youth as he was being treated, police said.

Copyright © 2019, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad