Cosmic Cocktail in 2 weeks: Get your ticket today before they sell out.

2 teens, teacher hurt in Arundel 2 stabbed in Annapolis; 1 shot in Arnold


A 14-year-old boy and a teacher were stabbed yesterday morning inside an Annapolis school, and another teen-ager was shot in the face Thursday night after a fight between youths outside an elementary school in Arnold.

The attacks came just days before the Anne Arundel County PTA releases its study on discipline and violence in the 120 primary and secondary schools.

The report will be given to the school board at its Wednesday meeting.

Yesterday's stabbing at Annapolis Middle School was the continuation of a feud between two eighth-grade boys that started Wednesday on a basketball court, said Sgt. Robert Jaschik, head of the homicide unit.

"One youth blocked the shot of the other, and he [the suspect] didn't like that," Sergeant Robert Jaschik said.

The 14-year-old student retaliated yesterday as the two boys were cleaning out lockers near the main office, school officials said.

The fight, which was witnessed by many students, occurred about 8:30 a.m., just before the first class period began.

James Venerable 4th, who lives in the 1900 block of Bens Drive inAnnapolis, was taken by ambulance to Anne Arundel Medical Center, where he was treated and released. Police said he was stabbed twice in the side with a serrated steak knife.

Eighth-grade teacher Michael T. Hughes, 43, tried to separate the two students and was stabbed in the hand. He suffered a superficial wound and was taken by ambulance to Anne Arundel Medical Center, where he also was treated and released.

The 14-year-old was arrested at the scene and charged as a juvenile with assault with intent to murder and assault.

He was being held yesterday by juvenile authorities.

At 9:40 a.m., police escorted a teen-ager out of the school in handcuffs.

As the officers were putting the youth into a squad car, a young man walked out of the school and shouted at the suspect.

"You stabbed my brother!? You stabbed my brother. They better not let you come home. There won't be any shock-trauma for you."

The angry individual refused to identify himself to reporters or discuss the incident. He got into a car and drove off.

Counselors and members of a school crisis intervention team went to the school to help students deal with the situation.

A school spokeswoman said all classes went on as normal.

The shooting occurred about 8:30 Thursday night, when police said two teens -- one of them a Broadneck High School student -- got into a fight over a young girl.

Two groups of youths, a mixture of Broadneck High students and others, each taking sides, gathered outside Broadneck Elementary School to watch or cheer the fighters.

Witnesses told police that one group brought a .22-caliber revolverin case the fight escalated.

But authorities said the fight broke up without any shots being fired. Four teens rode off in a Nissan Sentra and the other group pulled away in an Isuzu Amigo.

About three miles from the school, at a stop sign at Jones Station Road and Alameda Parkway, police said a youth in the Nissan pulled out the revolver and fired four to six shots at the other car.

One of the bullets went through the windshield and struck Sandra Biddle, 18, of the 800 block of Chestnut Tree Drive in Annapolis, in the left cheek, police said.

Ms. Biddle was flown by Maryland State Police MedEvac helicopter to the Maryland Shock Trauma Center, where she was treated and released.

In an interview, Ms. Biddle, who graduated from Broadneck High School last year, said the fight involved a boyfriend and former boyfriend of the girl.

The former boyfriend had just had his stereo equipment stolen from his car, and was blaming the other, she said.

Ms. Biddle said both teens suffered bruises in the fight, which ended quickly.

"I had no idea there was a gun," she said.

Police said they found the handgun hidden at a nearby construction site.

Ryan Patrick Baxter, 17, of the 1000 block of Cedar Ridge Court, was charged as an adult with assault with intent to murder and using a handgun in the commission of a crime.

The 16-year-old driver of the Nissan was charged as a juvenile with assault with intent to murder.

Police were searching for two other suspects yesterday.

Copyright © 2019, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad