John Robinson Norris, who was a specialist in transportation law, died Monday at Roland Park Place of complications of pulmonary disease.
He was 85 and had lived in Roland Park for many years.
Mr. Norris had been associated for more than 20 years with the law firm of Hessey and Hessey. Earlier he was a partner in the firm of Baldwin, Jarman and Norris.
Born in Baltimore, he was a graduate of the Polytechnic Institute. He graduated in 1929 from the Johns Hopkins University and in 1932 from the Harvard University law school.
Mr. Norris was admitted to the Maryland bar in 1933. He was admitted to practice before the Interstate Commerce Commission in 1934 and before the Supreme Court in 1942. He was named to the Maryland Commercial Code Commission in 1961.
Mr. Norris became a member of the board of what was then the Heart Association of Maryland in 1957, serving that year as vice chairman of its Heart Fund campaign and in 1958 as chairman.
For many years, he was a fund-raiser for the scholarship fund that his class at Hopkins established at its 50th reunion.
Services for Mr. Norris were to be conducted at 11 a.m. today at Henry W. Jenkins & Sons, 4905 York Road in Baltimore.
Mr. Norris is survived by his wife, the former Elizabeth Rife; two daughters, Nancy R. Norris and Elizabeth N. Hooker, both of Baltimore; a sister, Elizabeth N. Childs of Sykesville; and two grandchildren.
The family suggested memorial contributions to the Central Maryland chapter of the American Heart Association or to the Johns Hopkins University Class of 1929 Scholarship Fund.