Don’t miss Trey Mancini and Joey Rickard guest bartend at the first Brews & O’s event June 10th. Get your tickets today!

Brothers get prison for shots at officer Charges reduced in plea bargain


Two brothers have drawn 18- and 20-year prison terms for the attempted murder of a Baltimore County police officer, who was fired upon with semiautomatic rifles as he pursued four men speeding in a stolen car down Perring Parkway Dec. 9.

Arthur Theodore Brown, 18, who got 20 years, and Eric Kenneth Brown, 23, both of the 1000 block of E. Hoffman St., pleaded guilty Wednesday in Baltimore County Circuit Court. They and two other defendants also face charges in a similar attack on a city police officer that occurred a few hours later.

In announcing a plea bargain, Assistant State's Attorney A. Dean Stocksdale said one of the four defendants helped police recover three AR-15 semiautomatic rifles and two handguns -- which were among 14 weapons stolen from the Valley Gun Shop in Parkville Nov. 29.

In return for their guilty pleas, Mr. Stocksdale agreed to reduce the original first-degree attempted murder charges to second-degree offenses and to drop all charges in the gun shop break-in.

But the prosecutor asked Judge Barbara Kerr Howe for the maximum 30-year prison sentence -- well above the sentencing guidelines for the defendants' ages and minimal criminal records.

The third man in the car, Vincent Johnnie Davis, 18, of the 500 block of Baker St., also pleaded guilty and is to be sentenced later. The fourth suspect, Theodore C. Hall, 20, of the 3200 block of Barclay St., hasn't come to trial yet.

Mr. Stocksdale said in a statement of facts that Officer James M. Burger, on patrol at the Hillendale Shopping Center at Loch Raven Boulevard and Taylor Avenue about midnight Dec. 8, spotted a white Honda wanted in an earlier holdup of a service station on Perring Parkway.

The car with four occupants sped off, the prosecutor said. As Officer Burger pursued them, three or four car-lengths behind, two occupants sat up on the rear window ledges and fired six bursts at his car. He broke off the chase.

About two hours later, city police Officer Larry McMullen was answering a stolen car complaint when he came upon the stolen Honda and the four suspects, Mr. Stocksdale said. There was a brief car chase, again with gunfire.

Neither officer was struck.

About 90 minutes later, the Honda was seen on Halcyon Avenue, and four men got out and ran.

Arthur Brown was apprehended immediately, Mr. Stocksdale said. City police tracked the other three men to a home on Morello Road and arrested them there.

Copyright © 2019, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad