Reynolds wrapped up marathon


All you really need to know about the Orioles' 14-inning, 5-4 win over the Milwaukee Brewers Saturday night is that it was the longest game in the brief history of Camden Yards.

The rest might be savored by trivia buffs, but much of what happened before Harold Reynolds delivered the game-winning sacrifice fly will be quickly forgotten.

Suffice it to say that before the game ended -- five hours and 34 minutes after it started -- more than half the pitchers on the premises (13 of 23) had appeared in the game. They combined to throw a total of 475 pitches, with Mark Williamson (2-1) working the last three innings for the win and Carlos Maldonado (1-1) taking the loss.

Along the way the Orioles had two home runs in a game for the second straight night; Glenn Davis had his first multi-hit game since April 26 and first RBI in three weeks; Cal Ripken hit his first homer since April 28; and Gregg Olson had his first 1-2-3 inning of the season and pitched 2 1/2 innings, his longest outing since May 26, 1990.

Milwaukee manager Phil Garner summed it up best: "Somebody had to win it eventually," he said.

They did, however, cut it close. Reynolds' fly ball came exactly 20 minutes before the American League's 1 a.m. curfew. No inning could have started after that time, and the game would have been suspended and completed before yesterday's game.

"I knew I had to hit it deep and drive it somewhere -- it was time to go home," said Reynolds. "I was starting to think about major-league records [for elapsed time]."

Four other games at Camden Yards have gone 14 innings, three of them last year, but none took as much time. The 5:34 elapsed time was the second-longest in Orioles' history, exceeded only by a 14-inning marathon that lasted 5:46 against the Yankees at Memorial Stadium on June 4, 1988.

Ben McDonald started the game for the Orioles and for the first time in three starts he had some runs on his side. And the way he began, it didn't look like he would need many.

He was unhittable for four innings, unscored on for five -- but he was gone in the sixth. Only the second error of McDonald's career, on a potential double-play ball by Robin Yount, forced his exit after the Brewers scored three times to close to 4-3.

Todd Frohwirth walked in the tying run in the seventh and then a parade of relief pitchers took over. Yount made a great diving catch of a line drive by Davis that might have ended the game in the 10th.

Pat Listach opened the 13th with a bouncer over the head of David Segui at first base. However, he was thrown out at third by Mark McLemore when Tim Hulett blocked Listach off the bag.

The Orioles loaded the bases with one out in the 13th, but Ripken hit into a force at the plate and Sherman Obando struck out. Chris Hoiles started the winning rally an inning later with a one-out double.

Copyright © 2019, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad