Ryan Lambert threw a four-hitter and drove in the winning run in the eighth inning to lead Paint Branch (13-6) past Westminster (13-4), 2-1, in a Class 4A, Region I semifinal.
Westminster left-hander Chris Archambault allowed seven hits. Brad Gibson hit a 400-foot home run in the top of the seventh for Westminster. Second-seeded Paint Branch, which is seeking its third state title in four years, plays at No. 1 Gaithersburg in the regional championship today at 1:30 p.m.
* Edgewood 8, North Caroline 7: Senior Timmy Hughes scored the winning run on a North Caroline (14-5) throwing error in the seventh to lead Edgewood (14-5) in a Class 2A, Region IV semifinal. With one on and a 7-7 tie, Eellis Diaz bunted down the first-base line. The North Caroline pitcher overthrew third base, allowing Hughes to score.
Hughes (2-for-3) led off the seventh with a single to left and stole second to set up the game-winning play. Junior right-hand reliever Chris James (3-2) got out of two bases-loaded situations without giving up a run to earn the win.
* Hereford 3, Patapsco 1: Junior center fielder Andrew Minton hit the winning single in the sixth inning and senior right-hander Dewayne Fowble pitched a one-hitter, striking out five, as Hereford (13-4) past Patapsco (15-2) in a Class 2A, Region II semifinal. Fowble was 3-for-4 with two doubles.
* Fallston 5, Perryville 0: Tim Deyesu tripled and scored on Rob Myers' single, sparking a four-run fourth inning and leading Fallston (19-2) over Perryville in a Class 1A, Region III semifinal at Harford Community College.
* Lansdowne 7, C.M. Wright 2: Senior right-hander Randy Musgrove (6-0) pitched a six-hitter and struck out five as host Lansdowne (15-3) defeated C.M. Wright in a Class 3A, Region II semifinal. Musgrove also hit a two-run triple in the first to spark the Lansdowne offense. Senior Brian Sullivan added a two-run homer.
* Dundalk 6, EVT 1: Senior right-hander Keith Fletcher (4-2) pitched a five-hitter and struck out seven as host Dundalk (14-4) defeated EVT (10-8) in a Class 3A, Region II semifinal. Junior Luke Bell (2-for-3) led Dundalk with an RBI. Junior Mike Dziemburski (2-for-4) and Rich Estes (2-for-4) each added an RBI.
* Perry Hall 18, Laurel 1: Perry Hall drove in 12 runs in the fourth to highlight its 16-hit victory over visiting Laurel in a Class 4A, Region II semifinal. Eddie Adams (5-1) went six innings, striking out 10 for the win. Junior Mandell Marsh (2-for-5) and senior Jessie McBride (1-for-2) had the only extra-base hits. Marsh had two doubles and five RBI and McBride had a double and three RBI.
* Carver 6, Walbrook 2: Senior right-hander Antonio Simpson (4-2) pitched a three-hitter and struck out 10 as Carver (11-4) defeated Walbrook (9-6) in a Class 3A, Region I semifinal. Sophomore Broderick Wooden hit a three-run homer in the first for Carver.