Capital Gazette wins special Pulitzer Prize citation for coverage of newsroom shooting that killed five

Man guilty of kidnapping, robbery Moore used toy to hold up 2 stores ANNAPOLIS/SOUTH COUNTY -- Davidsonville * Edgewater * Shady Side * Deale


An Annapolis man who used a toy pistol to rob a 12-year-old girl of $2, then ordered her to help him hold up a service station, pleaded guilty yesterday to kidnapping and robbery.

William B. Moore III, 36, of the 1000 block of Pinecrest Drive, faces five to 18 years in prison when he is sentenced by Circuit Judge Raymond G. Thieme Jr. July 16.

Assistant State's Attorney Fred Paone said Moore was extremely drunk when he approached the victim at about 5:15 p.m. Jan. 8.

The girl was waiting for her sister in a car outside the Annapolis Ramada Inn on Jennifer Road, where the sister worked.

Moore demanded that the girl give him all her cash.

After she handed over her $2, Moore took her on foot across Route 50 to the Sunoco service station in the 2000 block of West Street, according to police charging documents.

"He told her, 'You got to help me get money, you got to help me get money,' " Mr. Paone told the judge yesterday.

At the station, Moore told the girl to approach the teller and ask for a package of cigarettes.

As the girl was talking, Moore came up to the teller, pointed what appeared to be a handgun at him and ordered him to turn over the available cash.

Moore fled on foot with the girl and $914 from the station, according to police reports.

He then brought her back to her family's 1986 Chevy Nova, still parked at the Ramada.

Moore at first told her to drive, then decided to drive himself when she told him she was too young and hadn't yet learned, Mr. Paone said.

Moore drove the girl around for about two hours, so inebriated that she was "as worried about his driving as she was about the gun," Mr. Paone said.

He pulled into the McDonald's parking lot on Forest Drive in Hillsmere, where the girl said she had to go to the bathroom. She then ran to a drug store in the Bay Ridge Plaza shopping center, where she alerted workers to what had happened.

The police were called, Mr. Paone said.

Moore ran from the McDonald's lot. At about 7:45 p.m., he walked into the Dunkin' Donuts in the 1900 block of Fairfax Road. With one hand in his coat pocket, he ordered the clerk to give him all the available cash. He was caught a few blocks away with $170 from the doughnut shop, according to police reports.

The victim's family was not in court yesterday and could not be reached.

Assistant Public Defender Robert Waldman, Moore's attorney, said his client had bought the pistol at Toys 'R Us and had painted it in an attempt to make it look authentic.

He said Moore was intoxicated at the time of the offense, never intended to hurt the girl and spent much of their time together telling her about his personal troubles.

Copyright © 2019, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad