Fire destroys aquarium, $2,000 in fish
An aquarium containing about $2,000 worth of tropical and exotic fish was destroyed when a motor overheated and ignited in the living room of a house on High Street in New Windsor Sunday.
Ron Blackston, New Windsor assistant fire chief, said the 5:03 a.m. fire spread from the motor to the tubing and the tank of the system providing the correct mixture of salt water for the fish.
The first firefighters at the scene contained the blaze with a fire extinguisher, then used fans to clear the building of dense smoke. The tank measured about five feet long, fire officials said.
Engines from the New Windsor, Union Bridge and Westminster fire companies were out of service for 50 minutes.
* New Windsor: New Windsor, Union Bridge and Westminster were dispatched for a house fire on High Street at 5:03 a.m. Sunday. Units were out for 50 minutes.
New Windsor, Union Bridge and Westminster companies responded for a chimney fire at a house on Hawks Hill Road at 8:42 p.m. Sunday. They were out for 26 minutes.
* Frederick County: Union Bridge assisted Frederick County at a house fire on Route 31 at 3:55 p.m. Sunday. Units were out at the blaze for 25 minutes.