* Baltimore's Preakness Talent Showcase, 6 p.m. to 10 p.m. at the Harborplace Amphitheatre. Winners from the previous week's auditions perform. Free. (410) 837-4636.
* Bethesda Metro Center Preakness Eve Dance Party, 6 p.m. to 9 p.m. in the plaza of the Metro subway stop at Old Georgetown Road and Wisconsin Avenue, Montgomery County, featuring the band Fabulous Fantoms. Free. (301) 652-4988.
* Phillips Preakness Crab-Picking Contest, noon to 2 p.m., Harborplace Amphitheatre. Local celebrities match their crustacean-cracking skills. Free. (410) 332-4191.
* 19th annual Frederick Craft Fair, 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Friday, Saturday and Sunday, Frederick County Fairgrounds. Admission. (717) 369-4810.
,1 * 30th Annual YMCA Circle Promenade, 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Friday and Saturday, State Circle and Lawyer's Mall, Annapolis. (410) 268-5093.
* Community Jubilee, 11 a.m. to 5 p.m., Carroll County Farm Museum, Westminster. Admission. (410) 848-7775.
* Early Times Dixie Handicap and Black-eyed Susan Stakes, 1 p.m., Pimlico Race Course. Admission. (410) 542-9400.
* St. Pius X Church and School Carnival, 4 p.m. to 10 p.m. Friday, 11 a.m. to 10 p.m. Saturday and 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. Sunday, 6428 York Road, Towson. (410) 377-7440.
* Rubble to Roses: William Paca Garden 20th Anniversary Gala, 6 p.m. to 9 p.m. Friday, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturday and noon to 4 p.m. Sunday, William Paca Garden, Annapolis. Admission. (410) 267-7619.
6* * 118th Preakness Stakes, Pimlico Race
Course. Gates to the infield open at 8:30 p.m., with post time about 5:30 p.m. Infield admission $15 in advance, $18 on race day. (410) 542-9400.
* Championship Rodeo, 7 p.m. Saturday and 2 p.m. Sunday, Anne Arundel County Fairgrounds, Crownsville. Admission $7 in advance, $8 at gate. (410) 757-6387.
* New Windsor May Day, 6 a.m. to 4 p.m., New Windsor Fireman's Carnival Grounds, Carroll County. (410) 775-2585.
* MSSA 10th annual Bluefish Tournament, 7 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturday and Sunday in Chesapeake Bay, sponsored by Maryland Saltwater Sportsfishermen's Association. Admission $150 per boat. (410) 768-8666.
* Fort Detrick Armed Forces Day, 8 a.m. to midnight, Fort Detrick, Frederick, including 9:15 p.m. fireworks. (301) 619-2018.
* Fort Detrick Juried Art Show, 9 a.m. to 4 p.m., Fort Detrick, Frederick. (301) 619-2018.
* Colonial Highland Gathering, Fair Hill Grounds in Fair Hill, Cecil County. Admission. (302) 475-8499.
* National Pike Festival, 9 a.m. to 8 p.m. Saturday and 9 a.m. to 6 p.m Sunday along U.S. 40 in Clear Spring, Funkstown and Boonsboro. (301) 791-3130.
* Cecil Days in May, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturday and Sunday, Old Mills, Cecil County. (301) 994-1510.
* Civil War Living History Demonstrations, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturday and Sunday at Jonathon Hager House and Museum, Hagerstown. (301) 739-8393.
* Heart of the Shore Ethnic and Folklife Festival, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. in Spring Valley, Cambridge, Dorchester County. (410) 267-7619.
* Springfest, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m., Chesapeake Bay Maritime Museum, St. Michaels, Talbot County. Admission. (410) 745-2916.
* Wine in the Woods . . . A Celebration of Tastes, 11 a.m. to 5 Saturday and Sunday in Symphony Woods, Columbia, including wine tasting and gourmet foods. Admission. (410) 313-2762.
* 11th Annual Italian Festival, noon to 9:30 p.m. in Heritage Park, Dundalk. (410) 282-4414.
* Old-Fashioned May Festival and Carriage Driving Show, noon to 5 p.m. Saturday and Sunday, Steppingstone Museum, Havre de Grace. Admission. (410) 939-2299.
* St. James Jazzfest, 7 p.m., Meyerhoff Symphony Hall, Baltimore, featuring Shirley Horn and an all-star band. Admission. (410) 462-4438.