THB, Banditos, Wayward and more confirmed for Cosmic Cocktail!

Judge won't cut term in kidnap-stabbing


Carroll Circuit Judge Luke K. Burns Jr. yesterday refused to lower the sentence of a Baltimore County man serving 40 years in prison for the abduction and stabbing of a Baltimore businessman last year.

"I'm not inclined to make any changes to reduce the sentence," Judge Burns said to David Teddy Yoswick. "To change a sentence, I look for something that has changed, something that is different from the day of sentencing. Nothing here has changed."

Yoswick, of Overlea, pleaded guilty in August to attempted first-degree murder and kidnapping in the abduction of Frank Allen Storch, who was left for dead beside a creek near Sykesville on Feb. 26, 1992.

In exchange for the guilty plea, prosecutors dropped some charges and agreed to a sentence of life in prison on the attempted murder charge and 30 years for the kidnapping charge. Judge Burns suspended all but 40 years of Yoswick's life sentence, and ordered the kidnapping sentence to run concurrently.

Yoswick and his attorney argued yesterday that the sentence was unfair when compared with the 25-year term given to Karen Sue Pulido, Yoswick's 32-year-old accomplice.

They did not bring up Yoswick's offer to testify in the death-penalty murder trial of Michael C. Bryson Sr.

Bryson, a cellmate of Yoswick's at the Carroll County Detention Center before his trial, was convicted March 11 of first-degree murder in the shotgun slaying of Melrose hardware store owner Charles W. Therit. Bryson, 26, of Manchester, will be sentenced next month.

"Your honor, I'm only 26 years old, and I'm going to be locked away with hardened criminals for most of my younger years," Yoswick told the judge. "In the best interests of justice, I hope you will consider mercy."

Defense attorney Linda Sorg Ostovitz said her client didn't deserve such a long sentence.

"There's not a whole lot of difference between the two," Ms. Ostovitz said after the hearing. Pulido "was armed, she was the one who knew both men, she was there, acting in concert."

Pulido, of Elkridge, pleaded not guilty to kidnapping and armed robbery charges, but agreed in return for the dropping of 18 other charges to let the prosecution enter a statement of facts that contained sufficient evidence to convict her.

Judge Burns sentenced her to 25 years for kidnapping and imposed a concurrent 15-year sentence for armed robbery.

Pulido's request for a sentence reduction was denied without a hearing by Judge Burns in March.

According to court records, Mr. Storch, a private detective and real estate management company president, was abducted by the pair on Feb. 25, 1992. They forced him to withdraw money from an automated teller machine at Baltimore-Washington International Airport and handcuffed him to a toilet in a hotel room. The next day, Yoswick threatened to kill him.

Mr. Storch was found limping near a creek along Arrington Road in Sykesville. He had been stabbed several times in the stomach.

Copyright © 2019, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad