A couple of months ago, the Department of Natural Resources held a series of information meetings with the public on hunting regulations for the 1993-94 seasons.
The proposals submitted by the DNR to the formal regulatory process, which will end after public hearings this summer, are basically unchanged from those presented in March -- despite alternative plans offered by some hunters.
* The quail season will be shortened by two weeks.
* Deer muzzleloader season will run as proposed. Black powder hunters will not have a session before the regular firearms season.
* Maryland expects a September season for resident Canada geese to be approved by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service in July.
What the public seems to have been able to do through the March meetings is to get the DNR thinking about changes in some of its programs and management programs.
* The deer damage permit system will be reviewed and modified by the Wildlife Division.
* In Western Maryland, fewer antlerless deer permits will be issued. The idea here is to stabilize the deer population at its current level, especially on state lands.
Rabbit -- Nov. 1-Jan. 31, Garrett County, Nov. 15-Feb. 7 all other counties; 4 per day, 8 in possession.
Quail -- Nov. 15-Jan. 15, West of I-83, I-695 and I-95, excluding Allegany and Garrett counties; Nov. 15-Feb. 15, east of I-83, I-695 and I-95. 6 per day, 12 possession. Closed in Garrett and Allegany and Garrett counties.
Pheasant -- Nov. 15-Dec. 31, all counties except Garrett. 1 per day, 2 possession.
Squirrel -- Oct. 5-Jan. 31, all counties. 6 per day and 12 possession for gray and eastern fox squirrel; no limit on red or piney squirrel.
Turkey (fall) -- Nov. 5-10, in Washington county west of I-81 and Allegany and Garrett counties. 1 per season.
Turkey (spring) -- April 18-May 16, in all or parts of Allegany, Calvert, Caroline, Dorchester, Frederick, Garrett, Howard, Kent, Montgomery, Somerset, Queen Anne's, Washington, Wicomico and Worcester counties. 1 per season or two per season if no fall turkey was taken.
Ruffed grouse -- Oct. 5-Jan. 31, all counties except Charles. 2 per day, four possession.
Deer (bow) -- Sept. 15-Nov. 26, Dec. 13-Dec. 17, Jan. 3-Jan. 31, all counties. Combined season limit, 5.
Deer (firearms) -- Nov. 27-Dec. 11, in all counties, with antlered/antlerless restrictions in all or parts of Allegany, Frederick, Washington and Garrett counties. Combined season limit, 5.
Deer (muzzleloader) -- Dec. 18-Jan. 1, all counties. Combined season limit, 4.