It's Preakness week -- that time of the year when festivals, balloon races, concerts and fireworks displays build toward Saturday's 118th running at Pimlico Race Course of the second jewel in thoroughbred racing's Triple Crown. Here's what's happening today and tomorrow:
* Maryland School for the Blind Preakness Celebration, 1 p.m. to 2:30 p.m. at the school at 3501 Taylor Ave., Baltimore. Students will simulate the Preakness Stakes using models of horses. Free. Call (410) 444-5000.
* Sunrise at Old Hilltop, 6 a.m. at Pimlico Race Course, daily through Friday. A Preakness Pin secures free guided tours of the racetrack, including the backstretch, while WBAL-AM (1090) radio personalities broadcast live from the clubhouse. Call (410) 542-9400.
* Radisson Plaza Lord Baltimore Mounted Police Preakness Luncheon, noon at the hotel, at 20 W. Baltimore St. Officers and horses of the Baltimore City Police Department Mounted Unit are scheduled to be honored -- with the steeds dining at an "equine outdoor cafe" at Baltimore and Hanover streets. Free.
* King's Snow Stakes, 1 p.m. at Pimlico Race Course, a stakes race for 2-year-olds. Admission. Call (410) 542-9400.
* Preakness Celebration Home Run Fantasy, 6:30 p.m., Oriole Park at Camden Yards. Up to 13 major pledge participants will face former Orioles pitcher Tippy Martinez in a homerun duel preceding the Orioles-Boston Red Sox game, with proceeds benefiting the Johns Hopkins Children's Center. Game ticket required to watch. Call (410) 955-8767.
* Westminster Inn Courtyard Celebration, 4 p.m. to 1 a.m. daily through Saturday, 5 S. Center St., Westminster. Call (410) 876-2893.