Around the house
* Avoid injuring fingers when hammering nails in place. Punch a nail through the center of a piece of cardboard or a plastic lid from a margarine tub. Hold the cardboard while pounding the nail with the hammer.
* Brighten up ivory piano keys. Rub surface with half a lemon.
* Keep kitchen cutlery sharp. Use a wooden cutting board. Knives that repeatedly strike metal, glass or Formica will become dull.
* Cottage cheese makes a good substitute for sour cream. Blend the cheese in a mixer or food processor until smooth.
* Clean glass baking dishes with oven cleaner. Follow the directions on can; let sit, then wash off thoroughly.
* Remove price stickers by saturating the label with vegetable oil baby oil. Scrape off with blunt object.
In the garden
* Look through seed catalogs and place your order. Try something different, such as native plants and wildflowers, miniature trees and old-time varieties of fruit and vegetables.