Smith's 3 goals lead No. 2 Gilman past No. 3 Loyola, 7-5
Sophomore attackman Lorne Smith scored three goals to help No. 2 Gilman hold off No. 3 Loyola, 7-5, yesterday in a Maryland Scholastic Association A Conference game.
The Greyhounds (2-1, 2-1) have won two straight since dropping an 8-7 overtime decision to St. Paul's in its season opener.
"Loyola's a very good team and very athletic and every game we play against them is a nail biter," Gilman coach John Tucker said. "Lorne and Corey [Popham] have been exceptional all year long and have played with the maturity of seniors."
Popham had 11 saves for the Greyhounds. Gilman built a 2-1 lead after one quarter and led 4-3 at the half.
John Cusson led Loyola (3-1, 1-1) with two goals.
* St. Paul's 13, Fallston 6: Mike Watson had four goals and two assists as No. 1 St. Paul's (3-0) defeated visiting Fallston (0-1). Jamie Pollock added three goals and Tucker Radebaugh added a goal and four assists for the Crusaders.
* Boys' Latin 8, Calvert Hall 4: Andy Sharretts scored a game-high three goals and had one assist as the No. 9 Lakers beat the No. 10 Cardinals. Pete Hilgartner had a goal and an assist for Calvert Hall.
* Severn 13, McDonogh 5: Joe Feldman had three goals and one assist as No. 14 Severn defeated visiting McDonogh. Rob Broseker and Dudley Dixon each added two goals for the Admirals.
* Hereford 6, Curley 5: Matt Swift scored unassisted in the fourth overtime to lead visiting Hereford (1-0) past Archbishop Curley in its season opener.
Jamie Bateman led Hereford with four goals and teammate Drew Parker had a game-high five assists. Pietro Rallo led the Friars with two goals.
* Mount St. Joseph 7, C. M. Wright 5: Maury LaPointe scored a goal and had five assists to lead the Gaels past the Mustangs.
* Perry Hall 10, Catonsville 3: Nick Cowan scored five goals as Perry Hall beat host Catonsville.
* Poly 8, Edmondson 3: Bruce Lee had three goals and an assist as Poly defeated visiting Edmondson.
* Park 14, Gibbons 1: Matt Weiner scored six goals and assisted on two as Park defeated host Gibbons.
* Wilde Lake 9, Glenelg Country School 4: Junior attackman Scott Jefferson scored the season's first goal and then went on to score four more to lead the Wildecats past Glenelg Country School.
* Broadneck 12, Northeast 2: Matt Ploss scored six goals to lead No. 4 Broadneck over host Northeast in Anne Arundel County action.
* Bryn Mawr 4, Friends 3: Angela Marks scored two goals as Bryn Mawr upset No. 6 Friends.
* St. Paul's 6, Centennial 5: Tricia Burdt scored two goals as No. 11 St. Paul's beat host Centennial.
* Notre Dame Prep 12, Maryvale 9: Chrissy Nordhoff scored four goals and Trish Cummings added three as the No. 9 Pirates beat Maryvale.
* Catonsville 18, Woodlawn 5: Amy Kuehnl had five goals and two assists to lead Catonsville past Woodlawn.