James L. B. Ward
James L. B. Ward, a retired supervisor in the Baltimore City Bureau of Water and Waste Water, who was active in fraternal groups, died Saturday of kidney failure at Bon Secours Hospital.
Mr. Ward, who was 72 and lived on Massachusetts Avenue in Southwest Baltimore, retired in 1980 after 20 years in the Department of Public Works. Earlier, starting in 1941, he had been a merchant seaman.
Born in Wilson, N.C., he was reared there, in Baltimore and in Philadelphia, where he completed his high school education.
A former master of the Morning Star Lodge of the Prince Hall Masons, he was also a former patron of the Annie S. Banks Chapter of the Order of the Eastern Star, former Joshua of Zerrubabel Court of the Heroines of Jericho and a former grand Joshua of the Rahab Grand Court of the Heroines.
He was also a former high priest of the Hiram Holy Chapter and the Keystone Chapter of the Royal Arch Masons and a former commander in chief of the Hiram Consistory and a former thrice illustrious master of the Royal and Select Masons.
A 33rd degree Mason, he also belonged to the Jerusalem Temple of the Shrine.
He sang in the choir at Holy Trinity Episcopal Church, at Wheeler and Lafayette avenues, where a Mass of Christian burial was to be offered at 11 a.m. today.
Mr. Ward is survived by his wife, the former Edna Dean; two sons, Vernon Proctor of Catonsville and David Proctor of Baltimore; three daughters, Elsa Lumpkins, Madeline Norton and Brenda Campbell, all of Baltimore; his stepmother, Fannie Ward of Philadelphia; 13 grandchildren; and 16 great-grandchildren.
James R. Terry
Giant Food executive
James R. Terry, retired vice president of operations for Giant Food Inc., died Sunday of Creutzfeldt-Jakob syndrome, a rare degenerative brain disorder, at the home of a daughter in Huntingtown, Md.
Mr. Terry, who was 63, moved from Nokesville, Va., to Surfside, S.C., after his retirement 12 years ago from Giant.
He had started working for the company 40 years earlier as a grocery-store bagger, helping to support his family while he was a student.
A native of Colonial Beach, Va., Mr. Terry was reared in Washington, where he was a graduate of the Eastern High School.
Services were planned for 11 a.m. today at All Saints Episcopal Church in Sunderland.
He is survived by his wife of 45 years, the former Mary I. Murgia; two daughters, Robin A. Montgomery of Huntingtown and Joanna K. Kunkel of Manassas, Va.; three sons, Charles M. Terry of Waldorf, Glen C. Terry of Stafford, Va., and James R. Terry II of Occoquan, Va.; two sisters, Judith Gilman of Rome, and Barbara Ann Terry of Surfside; two brothers, Robert F. Terry of North Beach and John R. Terry of Austin, Texas; and nine grandchildren.
Ethel Murray, who worked for 15 years in the infirmary of the School Sisters of Notre Dame at the Institute of Notre Dame, died Saturday of pneumonia at Maryland General Hospital.
Mrs. Murray, who was 85 and lived on The Alameda, retired in 1973 from the housekeeping staff of the infirmary.
The former Ethel Gray was born in Baltimore and educated in the public schools. Her husband, Landy Murray, died in 1963.
A member of the Centennial United Methodist Church since she was in her teens, she had been a Sunday school teacher there and a member of the Breakfast Club, the Mothers Club, the United Methodist Women and the Senior Citizens Group.
In addition, she was a member of the Golden Age Club at Faith Baptist Church and of the Beulah Land Chapter of the Reindeer.
Services were to be conducted at 7 tonight at the Centennial United Methodist Church, 1029 E. Monument St.
Mrs. Murray is survived by a daughter, Ella Hardy, and two sons, Bill and Wendell Murray, all of Baltimore; 10 grandchildren; and 15 great-grandchildren.