The following are recent bankruptcy filings in U.S. District Court in Baltimore.
* Robert Bruce Elliott, (Elliott Contractors, Atlantic Wall and Ceiling Systems), Route 12, Box 713, Salisbury. Mr. Elliott filed for Chapter 7. Assets: $2,032. Liabilities: $119,721.
* Theone Inc., 1164 Stoney Run, Hanover. Restaurant, bar and night club filed for Chapter 7. President: Nancy Andrew. Assets: $11,152. Liabilities: $279,729.
* Vanessa W. Bennett, 5410 Gradin Ave., Baltimore. Principal in day-care business filed for Chapter 7. Assets: $2,647. Liabilities: $40,566.
* Ronald E. Slaysman (Slaysman & Sons, Slaysman Construction), 113 Glen Argyle Road, Baltimore. Construction and renovation business filed for Chapter 7. Assets and liabilities: $100,000-$499,000.
* Larry Dean Billings, 942 Pulaski Highway, Havre de Grace. Used car sales and service business filed for Chapter 7. Assets: $72,384. Liabilities: $16,136.
* Alfred Charles Caron, 2915 Stockton Road, Phoenix. Insurance broker filed for Chapter 13. Assets: $327,972. Liabilities: $179,378.
* The Castle Food Products Corp., 8375 Patuxent Range Road, Jessup. Involuntary petition for Chapter 7 filed by Haribo of America Inc., c/o F.J. Taglienti, 1823 Woodlawn Drive, Baltimore for $115,868; Sherwood Brands Inc., c/o Anat Schwartz, 6110 Executive Blvd., #1080, Rockville for $38,469; Lindt & Sprungli (USA) Inc., c/o Lee Mizusawa, P.O. Box 276, One Chocolate Place, Stratham, N.H. for $26,882.
* Robert Vanek, 5917 Cedar Fern Court, Columbia. Retailer of food, T-shirts and other items filed for Chapter 7. Assets: $3,350. Liabilities: $40,008.
* Quartertime Video and Vending Corp., P.O. Box 23670, Baltimore. Director and sole shareholder: Michael Howard Blickman. Coin operated video game business filed for Chapter 7. Assets and liabilities: Under $50,000.
* Daniel Joseph Stentz, 7 Nightingale Way, #2, Lutherville, and Debra Stentz, 6 Reldas Court, #F, Cockeysville. Independent contractors for The Baltimore Sun Co. filed for Chapter 13. Assets: $130,476. Liabilities: $172,523.
* John Lamar Hooper (t/a Hooper Performance, t/a Quick Services), 3927 Love Ave., Edgewood. Mr. Hooper filed for Chapter 7. Assets: $58,430. Liabilities: $95,135.
* Beethoven Associates Limited Partnership (Sunset Lake Apartments), 3300 North Ridge Road, Suite 300, Ellicott City. Apartment rental business filed for Chapter 11. General partner: Morton Sarubin. Assets and liabilities: $10,000,000-$99,999,000.
The following are the most common types of filings under the U.S. Bankruptcy Code.
CHAPTER 7 -- Liquidation. A trustee is appointed to take charge of all the debtor's property, except for certain exceptions allowed in the law. The trustee will sell the remaining property for the benefit of creditors, and unless a creditor objects and is upheld by the court, the debt will be discharged.
CHAPTER 11 -- Reorganization. Available to all individuals or businesses, this chapter is primarily intended to allow an ongoing business to restructure its debt. A successful reorganization depends on filing a plan and obtaining its approval by creditors and the court.
CHAPTER 13 -- Adjustment of debts of an individual with regular income. This chapter provides a method for individual debtors to repay creditors over a period of up to five years. It ordinarily involves less than $100,000 in unsecured debt and $350,000 in secured debt.
* d/b/a (doing business as) or t/a (trading as): an assumed name a person uses instead of the business name or one's personal name.