William H. C. Miller
Worked 35 years at GM
William Henry Clay Miller, a retired autoworker, died Wednesday of kidney failure and a heart attack at Harbor Hospital Center.
He was 81 and had moved to Woodlawn from Lansdowne in 1991.
He retired in 1971 as an inspector after 35 years at the General Motors Corp. plant in East Baltimore.
Born and educated in Hagerstown, Mr. Miller worked for what was then the Fairchild Engine and Aircraft Co. He then worked at the Glenn L. Martin Co. in Middle River, before he joined GM.
He served with the Army in North Africa during World War II. He was a former commander of the Walter Howard Shaw Post of the Veterans of Foreign Wars and a member of the Dewey Lowman Post of the American Legion.
He had been active in Democratic politics in Southwestern Baltimore County and most recently was a member of the Lake Shore Democratic Club.
He served for many years on the board of the Baltimore American Savings Bank.
A member of the Howard Lodge of the Masons, he also belonged to the Scottish Rite and Boumi Temple.
He also belonged to the Pascal Senior Center in Glen Burnie and the Lansdowne-Baltimore Highlands Senior Center.
He was a member of the Evangelical Church of Our Saviour in Lansdowne.
His wife, the former Annabelle K. DeLosier, died in 1989.
Services were to be held at 2 p.m. today at the Hubbard Funeral Home, 4107 Wilkens Ave.
Mr. Miller is survived by his companion, Mary MargareBiedenkapp; a sister, Barbara Ann Karn of Hagerstown; and a niece.
Silvine Slingluff Savage, a native of Baltimore who was active in cultural and political affairs in the Philadelphia suburbs before returning here in 1975, died March 16 of heart failure at Union Memorial Hospital.
She was 85 and lived on Midvale Road after returning from Haverford, Pa.
The former Silvine Slingluff attended a school in France for a time before graduating from the Bryn Mawr School.
Long interested in the study of French language and culture, she promoted these endeavors at Bryn Mawr College, where she graduated, and at Haverford College, where she did graduate work. She was a consultant in 1961 to Lawrence Wylie, who taught at Haverford and later at Harvard, on his book "Chanzeaux, a Village in Anjou."
In the early 1930s, she studied modern dance at Bennington College with Martha Graham, Jose Limon and others with whom she kept up a correspondence for many years. She donated her notes and correspondence to the New York Public Library.
After moving in 1932 to Ambler, a Philadelphia suburb, she became a Democratic committeewoman for Lower Merion Township in Montgomery County. She also founded and funded that county's community chamber music groups and served on their board. She also organized the Main Line Arts Council, which exhibited the works of local artists.
She was on the board of the Ludington Public Library in Lower Merion Township and campaigned to fund expansion of the library and to integrate it into local and state library systems.
She played piano and sang with groups in the Haverford area. After returning to Baltimore, she continued her interest in music, studying at the Peabody Conservatory.
Her husband, Charles C. Savage, died in 1974.
A memorial Mass for Mrs. Savage was to be offered at 10 a.m. today at St. Ignatius Roman Catholic Church, Calvert and Madison streets in Baltimore.
She is survived by a son, Peter V. Savage of Baltimore; and three granddaughters.
Carl J. Hahn
Beth Steel supervisor
Carl J. Hahn, a retired supervisor at the Bethlehem Steel Corp.'s Sparrows Point plant, died Thursday of cancer at Church Hospital. He was 80 and had lived on Bouldin Street.
He retired nearly 20 years ago after working at the steel plant for 39 years.
The Baltimore native was an honorary life member of the Santa Maria Council of the Knights of Columbus and a duckpin bowler with groups from the fraternal organization and senior citizens' organizations
A Mass of Christian burial was to be offered at 10 a.m. today at Sacred Heart of Jesus Roman Catholic Church, 600 S. Conkling St., Baltimore.
Mr. Hahn is survived by his wife, the former Dolores T. Bonday; a son, John C. Hahn of Baltimore; two daughters, Carol A. Feliciano of Columbus, Ga., and Donna C. Simmons of Baltimore; a brother, William Hahn of Baltimore; six grandchildren; and six great-grandchildren.
Mary Beulah Ensor
Longtime Sparks resident
Mary Beulah Ensor, who had lived in Sparks for 76 years and won prizes for needlework at the Maryland State Fair, died Tuesday of heart disease at Franklin Square Hospital.
She was 96 and had also lived in Glyndon and then in Reisterstown before she moved into the home of a niece in Middle River a year ago.
A native of Sparks, she was a 1913 graduate of the Agriculture High School that later became Sparks High School.
She married a cousin, Robert L. Ensor, who died in 1972. They lived on a farm where she grew flowers, among them dahlias that once won the top prize in a flower show.
She was a Baptist who belonged to what is now the Black Rock Church in Butler.
Fond of writing tales of her youth and of studying family history, she organized a series of Ensor family reunions.
She was a member of the Daughters of the American Revolution.
For many years, she attended each day of the Maryland State Fair in Timonium and kept track of the awards won by youngsters in the family. She won blue ribbons for her needlework.
Services for Mrs. Ensor were to be conducted at 2:30 p.m. today at the Ruck Towson Funeral Home, 1050 York Road.
Her survivors include 21 nieces and nephews.
Charles Dawson Jr.
Charles L. Dawson Jr., who operated a kitchen installation business, died Wednesday of lung cancer at Baltimore County General Hospital.
He was 64 and lived in Edgewood.
He retired about a year ago after working for 30 years as Charles C. Dawson Jr. Custom Kitchens, doing installation work under contract to Sears, Roebuck & Co. in Baltimore.
The former Woodlawn resident had worked as a supervisor in the cabinet plant of Stylewood Kitchens before he started his own business.
Born in Baltimore, he served in the Army during the Korean War.
A former commodore of the Trojan Harbor and Sue Haven yacht clubs, he was currently treasurer of the latter club and a member of the Chesapeake Commodore's Club.
He was also a member of American Legion Post 17 in Edgewood, the Sincerity Lodge of the Masons, the Scottish Rite and Boumi Temple.
His wife, the former Elfriede Lang, died in 1984.
Services for Mr. Dawson were to be conducted at 10 a.m. today at the Howard K. McComas Funeral Home in Abingdon.
He is survived by two sons, Charles L. Dawson III of Marriottsville and John L. Dawson of Leonardtown; and two grandchildren.
Robert H. Mackenzie, a retired metallurgist for the Armc Steel Corp., died Tuesday of heart failure at his home on Evesham Avenue. He was 84.
He retired nearly 20 years ago after working for Armco for many years.
Though it was in a different home, he was born on Evesham Avenue in the Govans area and was educated at the Army-Navy Preparatory School.
His wife, the former Susan Nichols Nelson, died in 1982.
A memorial service for Mr. Mackenzie was to be conducted at 10:30 a.m. today at Henry W. Jenkins & Sons, 4905 York Road in Baltimore.
His survivors include three stepdaughters, Peg Savin of Baltimore, Roberta Smith of Orlando, Fla., and Susanne Anderson of Upperco; and a stepson, Gordon Nelson of Lafayette, La.
George M. Wentz
George M. Wentz, who played the violin and brass instruments in the United States Navy Band, died Wednesday of heart failure at the Crofton Convalescent Center. He was 93.
He had lived in Linthicum and in Southern Maryland after he retired in 1946 as a chief musician. He had joined the Navy band in 1920 and played the violin, French horn, bass horn and trombone.
The Hendersonville, N.C., native first played in an Army band after enlisting in 1916. But World War I ended before he could serve in France.
In the Navy Band, he played for all the presidents and many celebrities of the period, including Charles A. Lindbergh.
After he retired, he raised beef cattle on a 300-acre farm in Brandywine until the late 1960s and later lived for a time in Port Republic.
His first wife, the former Jane Elizabeth Robinson, died in 1971. His second wife, the former Marian Friedinger, died in 1986.
Services for Mr. Wentz were to be conducted at 1 p.m. today at the Piney Chapel of St. Paul's Episcopal Church in Waldorf.
He is survived by two sons, G. Robinson Wentz of Severna Park and David Wentz of Huntington, Conn.; a brother, Hansel Wentz of Danville, Va.; a sister, Lillian Justice of Illinois; six grandchildren; and nine great-grandchildren.
Clifford E. Lund
Clifford E. Lund, retired assistant superintendent of Bethlehem Steel Corp.'s Sparrows Point shipyard, died Tuesday North Arundel Hospital.
He was 79 and lived on Riverside Drive in Pasadena.
He retired in 1976. He had started working at the shipyard as a pipefitter in 1936.
The Baltimore native took drafting courses at night after graduating from Patterson Park High School, where he played on a championship soccer team.
He was a member of the Old Timers Soccer Association of Maryland.
A former Cub Scout master at St. Paul's parochial school in East Baltimore, he lived in Northwood from 1942 until 1970 and was a member of the Northwood Optimist Club.
Graveside services for Mr. Lund were to be conducted at 11 a.m. today at Glen Haven Memorial Park, 7215 Ritchie Highway in Glen Burnie.
He is survived by his wife, the former Mary R. McCubbin; a daughter, Mary Ellen Kitchen of Pasadena; two sons, J. Clifford Lund of Reisterstown and Paul L. Lund of Cape St. Claire; two sisters, Lillian Kudzma of Salisbury and Mildred Henderson of Parkville; seven grandchildren; and two great-grandchildren.
Elizabeth Jane Hiss
Elizabeth Jane Hiss, a retired insurance agent who was in the business 47 years, died of heart failure Sunday at Keswick Home in Baltimore. She was 88.
Miss Hiss began her insurance career at age 18, working for several agencies before joining the Harry F. Klinefelter Insurance Co., a general insurance brokerage founded in Baltimore in 1900. She retired from the successor company, Arthur F. Klinefelter Insurance Co., in 1970.
Miss Hiss was a long-time resident of the Dickeyville community in West Baltimore, having moved there in 1942. She named her first home the "Wagon Wheel House" because of an old wagon wheel that stood by the front door. She named her second -- and smaller -- home in the village "Close Quarters."
Giving up her home in Dickeyville in 1970, she moved briefly to the Preston Apartments and eventually to the Loch Raven Apartments, where she lived before retiring to Keswick in 1983.
She enjoyed writing poetry, and some of her work published in various papers and magazines.
Born in Baltimore, she was the daughter of the late James Howard and Elizabeth Yearley Hiss. She was educated in city schools. She was a member of St. Thomas Aquinas Roman Catholic Church in Hampden.
A memorial Mass will be celebrated in the future at St. Pius X Roman Catholic Church in Baltimore.
Miss Hiss is survived by two brothers, Fielder Hiss of OceaView, Del., and F. Ryley Hiss of Bardstown, Ky.; and two sisters, Mary Yearley Pridgen of Arlington, Va., and Mary Louise "Polly" Brooks of Baltimore; 20 nieces and nephews and 23 great-nieces and great-nephews.