* Julie Backof, Westminster, Jr., OF -- Enjoyed a solid sophomore season a year ago batting .419 with seven doubles. Backof likely will bat third for the Owls, and coach Kathy Hodgkins expects her to drive in a lot of runs this season. Also a steady outfielder with good range.
* Jenny Baker, North Carroll, Jr., OF -- Moving to center after playing shortstop as a sophomore, Baker will be able to cover a lot of ground in the outfield. Equally productive at the plate, she hit .352 last season while driving in 21 runs with four triples and five doubles.
* Andrea Dixon, Liberty, Sr., P -- The top returning pitcher in the county, Dixon also batted .375 last season. Dixon also will see time at third base.
* Gina Hughes, Westminster, Jr., C -- Hughes batted .333 last season with 23 hits. She is a take-charge player, who probably will bat cleanup.
* Michele Jeffery, North Carroll, Sr., IF/P -- A solid first baseman who also will pitch on occasion, Jeffery provides much of the power in North Carroll's lineup. A fierce competitor, she also will provide much-needed leadership to a young and talented Panthers' squad.
* Melissa Moore, South Carroll, Sr., IF/C -- Moore is a versatile player who coach Debbie Barnes says can play just about anywhere. Last season, she led the Cavaliers with 31 RBI, which tied for second in the county.
* Erin Murphey, F.S. Key, Sr., SS -- Murphey led the county in runs batted in last season with 33 and was second in hitting with a .493 average as a leadoff hitter. Also very solid with the glove at short, Murphey is one of the strongest all-around players in the county.
* Carrie Myers, Liberty, Sr., IF -- Myers moves over to first base after playing second last year. The vocal leader of the Lions, Myers also made some noise with the bat, hitting .443.
* Damien Overholser, F.S. Key, Sr., OF -- Overholser had 12 extra-base hits last season as a clean-up hitter for the Eagles, including a county-leading four homers. She drove in 31 runs (tied for second in the county) and batted .367.
* Shelley Smith, F.S. Key, Sr., C -- A catalyst for the Eagles, Smith likely will take over for Murphey as the leadoff hitter this season. A smart base runner with a lot of speed, Smith should steal a lot of bases and score some runs for the Eagles. Last season, she was tied for second in the county with four triples.
* Amy Wolff, Liberty, Sr., C -- Wolff was the only player in the county last year to bat over .500 (.561). She was also among the county leaders in homers and triples -- with three each.