Cut in sentence denied to kidnapper


Carroll Circuit Judge Luke K. Burns Jr. yesterday denied Karen Sue Pulido's request for a reduction in her 25-year prison sentence for her role in the February 1992 abduction of a Baltimore businessman.

In a brief order, Judge Burns said that Pulido's sentence "was more than appropriate for the crimes that were perpetrated against the victim."

Judge Burns had sentenced Pulido, 32, to 25 years in state prison for kidnapping and imposed a concurrent 15-year sentence for armed robbery. She was convicted Sept. 24 in the abduction and stabbing of Baltimore businessman Frank Allen Storch, who was left for dead beside a creek near Sykesville Feb. 26, 1992.

Pulido's accomplice, David Teddy Yoswick, is serving 40 years for his role in the crime.

Judge Burns agreed yesterday to schedule a hearing at which Yoswick will be able to argue for a sentence reduction.

Yoswick, 25, was prepared to testify earlier this month in the death penalty murder case of Michael C. Bryson Sr., who was convicted March 11 in the shotgun killing of Melrose hardware store owner Charles W. Therit Jr.

According to court records, Yoswick told prosecutors that while he and Bryson were incarcerated in the Carroll County Detention Center, Bryson bragged about shooting Mr. Therit. Yoswick was never called to testify in the three-week trial.

Yoswick and Pulido entered separate plea bargains in return for prosecutors dropping some charges against them.

Yoswick pleaded guilty to attempted first-degree murder and kidnapping charges Aug. 25. Pulido pleaded not guilty to kidnapping and armed robbery charges, but agreed in return for the dropping of 18 other charges to let the prosecution enter a statement of facts that contained sufficient evidence to convict her.

According to court records, Mr. Storch, a private detective and real estate management company president, was abducted by the pair on Feb. 25, 1992. They forced him to withdraw money from an automated teller machine at Baltimore-Washington International Airport and handcuffed him to a toilet in a hotel room. The next day, Yoswick threatened to kill him, court records show.

Mr. Storch was found limping near a creek along Arrington Road in Sykesville. He had been stabbed several times in the stomach.

Yoswick and Pulido were arrested several days later outside Pulido's trailer home in Elkridge.

Copyright © 2020, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad