Restaurant manager critically wounded in robbery BALTIMORE COUNTY


The manager of a Steak and Egg Kitchen in Pikesville was shot and critically wounded yesterday during a morning robbery, and the suspect was arrested minutes later.

Baltimore County police said Andre W. Davis, 27, of the 1600 block of Spray Court in West Baltimore, was shot in the chest during a struggle with the robber, who confronted him in the rear of the restaurant as he counted money before making a bank deposit.

Mr. Davis was flown to the Maryland Shock Trauma Center in Baltimore, where he was listed in critical condition.

Baltimore police, alerted by a witness who followed the fleeing suspect, arrested James Franklin Snead, 41, of the 3600 block of Paskin Place in Milford Mill. Mr. Snead, who told police he was a heroin addict, was charged with armed robbery, attempted murder and a handgun violation, police said.

"A handgun and a little over $200 was recovered from the suspect when he was arrested," said a county police spokesman, Sgt. Stephen R. Doarnberger.

Witnesses told police a man entered the restaurant at 204 Reisterstown Road, near the city line, shortly before 8:40 a.m. The man went into the restroom, then emerged with a handgun.

"He walked up to the manager and they began to struggle," Mr. Doarnberger said. "The manager was shot in the upper left part of his chest."

Mr. Davis staggered next door to a High's convenience store, where he collapsed. Three customers and two other employees fled the restaurant. Sergeant Doarnberger said the robber gathered up the money, ran out and got into an old model blue Ford Grenada. An employee of a nearby business followed the suspect, flagged down a city patrol car near Reisterstown Road and Northern Parkway, and gave the officer a description of the suspect and the blue Ford.

City police arrested Mr. Snead near Wabash and Belle avenues in Northwest Baltimore. He was turned over to county police and was being held at the Garrison district station pending a bail review hearing.

Sergeant Doarnberger said that while in detention, Mr. Snead exhibited signs of heroin withdrawal and was taken to the Greater Baltimore Medical Center. He was treated, released and returned to the county lockup.

Copyright © 2019, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad