T. J. Bruns Jr.Retired police officerThomas J....


T. J. Bruns Jr.

Retired police officer

Thomas J. Bruns Jr., a retired Baltimore police officer and racetrack security guard who was also a dog trainer and judge at obedience trials, died Monday after suffering a heart attack while walking near his home on Hickory Avenue in Baltimore.

Mr. Bruns, who was 70, retired from the Police Department in 1969 after 17 years of service in the Northern and Northwestern districts.

He then worked for about 15 years as a guard at the Pimlico and Laurel racecourses and at other Maryland tracks during their racing seasons.

He and his wife raised and showed German shepherd dogs. He was also a judge in this country and abroad at obedience trials sponsored by the United Kennel Club.

He was also a volunteer trainer in obedience classes sponsored by the SPCA in Baltimore.

Born in Baltimore, he was a graduate of Mount St. Joseph High School. He served in the Navy during World War II.

Services for Mr. Bruns were to be conducted at 10 a.m. today at the A. Alan Seitz Funeral Home, 3818 Roland Ave. in Baltimore.

He is survived by his wife, the former Barbara Fisher; two sons, Thomas J. Bruns III of Reisterstown and Robert A. Ryan of Pasadena; a daughter, Terry L. Joeckel of Baltimore; a brother, ,, Jack C. Bruns Sr. of Glen Burnie; a sister, Melvina D. Johnson of Owings Mills; six grandchildren; and two great-grandchildren.

Jereleigh Archer Sr.

Personnel consultant

Jereleigh A. Archer Sr., a personnel consultant who was active in community affairs, died Saturday of heart disease at his home on Milford Avenue in Northwest Baltimore. He was 56.

He was a consultant with the firm of Drake Beam Morin Inc. for about a year.

Earlier, he had been human resources director and a vice president of MNC Financial, the parent company of Maryland National Bank. He had worked for 19 years in personnel posts with Equitable Bank NA, before its merger with Maryland National.

After moving to Baltimore in 1957, he began working as a chemist and switched to personnel work while on the staff of Lever Brothers Co.

Born in Norfolk, Va., he was a graduate of Lincoln University in Pennsylvania and later studied business management at Johns Hopkins University.

A former chairman of the Baltimore Wage Commission, he also had been a member of the state commissions on black males and compensation and personnel.

He had been president of the Mental Health Association of Metropolitan Baltimore, the Family and Children's Society and Progressive Horizons.

He also had been a member of the boards of the Girl Scouts of Central Maryland, the Maryland School for the Deaf and the Park Heights Street Academy.

In the Boy Scouts, he had been a member of the board of the Baltimore Area Council and had held many other posts, including scoutmaster of the troop at All Saints Roman Catholic Church.

He was a member of the Pi Omega Chapter of the Omega Psi Phi Fraternity.

Services for Mr. Archer were to be conducted at 11:30 a.m. today at New Psalmist Baptist Church, Franklin and Cathedral streets in Baltimore.

He is survived by his wife, the former Yvonne Sherman; two daughters, Denise and Bernita Archer, both of Baltimore; a son, Jereleigh A. Archer Jr. of Pikesville; his father, James P. Archer of Norfolk; two brothers, O'Hara Archer of Hempstead, N.Y., and Dr. Lorenzo P. Archer of Virginia Beach, Va.; and a sister, Beverly Overby of Washington.

Benjamin C. Alm Jr.

Westinghouse engineer

Benjamin Carlyle Alm Jr., a retired senior engineer for the Westinghouse Electric Corp.'s Aerospace Division, died Tuesday of cancer at the Anne Arundel Medical Center in Annapolis. He was 65.

The native of Omaha, Neb., graduated in 1951 from the University of Colorado with a degree in engineering physics. Recruited by Westinghouse while in college, he joined the firm as a junior engineer at its plant near Baltimore-Washington International Airport, working on advanced radar guidance systems.

He served in the Navy during World War II.

He had held a private pilot's license since the late 1960s.

He was a member of the Annapolis Council 1384 of the Knights of Columbus, St. John the Evangelist Roman Catholic Church, Alcoholics Anonymous, the Anne Arundel Fish and Game Association, the Gem Cutters Guild and the Lambda Chi Alpha fraternity.

He and his wife of 47 years, the former Shirley M. Davidson, moved to Arnold in 1961 after having lived in Severna Park for about 10 years.

A Mass of Christian burial for Mr. Alm was to be offered at 10 a.m. today at St. John the Evangelist church, Ritchie Highway and Cyprus Creek Road in Severna Park.

In addition to his wife, he is survived by two daughters, April T. Alm of Dundalk and Jennie C. Burgdorf of Berlin, Germany, and his mother, Tess M. Holt of Edgewater.

The family suggested memorial donations to the American Cancer Society or the Anne Arundel Medical Center Hospice.

Francis P. Dorr Sr.

Service station operator

Francis P. Dorr Sr., longtime operator of a service station in Crownsville, died Tuesday at Anne Arundel Medical Center after suffering a stroke. He was 76.

He was born in Hyattsville, and his family moved to Millersville in 1927.

After graduating from Arundel High School, he hauled pulpwood, sold ice and operated a dump truck company before he opened the service station at Herald Harbor Road and Generals Highway in 1945.

He and his wife, the former Audrey M. Taylor, whom he married in 1939, also operated a restaurant, well-known for its barbecue, next door to the station.

After he suffered a stroke in 1979 that confined him to his home, his sons operated Dorr's Texaco.

In his youth, he managed the Herald Harbor Athletic Club and was an outstanding baseball player.

A Mass of Christian burial for Mr. Dorr was to be offered at 10 a.m today at Our Lady of the Fields Roman Catholic Church in Millersville, where Mr. Dorr was a member and served for many years as an usher.

In addition to his wife, he is survived by two sons, F. Paul Dorr Jr. and V. Joseph Dorr, both of Crownsville; three daughters, Audrey M. Owen of Bowie, Theresa E. Jamar of Crownsville and Majorie A. Marquess of Barclay; three brothers, William A. Dorr of Crownsville, John K. Dorr of Bristol and Joseph H. Dorr of Crownsville; three sisters, Regina Mueller of Denton, Theresa Stansbury of Sarasota, Fla., and Betty O'Neill of Cheverly; 15 grandchildren; and four great-grandchildren.

The family suggests memorial donations to Our Lady of the Fields Building Fund, 1069 Cecil Ave., Millersville, Md. 21108.

Sydney L. Hart


Sydney L. Hart, a receptionist in her husband's dental office and a longtime Sunday school teacher, died Monday at Harford Memorial Hospital of cardiopulmonary arrest after becoming ill at her home in Havre de Grace.

She was 69.

She and her husband, Dr. Robert C . Hart, retired in December after he closed his dental practice in Aberdeen. She had been his receptionist for 15 years.

The former Sydney L. Dunn was a native of Mount Airy who was reared in Baltimore. She was a graduate of Western High School and attended the Eastern Nazarene College in Boston.

Mrs. Hart was a longtime teacher in the children's Sunday school at the Bel Air Church of the Nazarene, where services were to be conducted at 10 a.m. today. The church recently gave her a distinguished service award in recognition of her 40 years of service.

In addition to her husband, survivors include three sons, Timothy R. and Roger C. Hart Sr., both of Havre de Grace, and David K. Hart of Churchville; two sisters, Ula Bowen of Ellicott City and M. Jane Bowen of Westminster; and five grandchildren.

G. W. Creighton III

Worked for Koppers

George W. Creighton III, retired advertising manager for the Koppers Co., died Wednesday at Keswick of complications of multiple sclerosis.

He was 74 and had lived in the Roland Park area for many years.

He retired in 1984 after having worked for Koppers since 1946.

A native of Harrisburg, Pa., who was reared in Baltimore, he was a 1937 graduate of the Gilman School. At Gilman, he was named to All Maryland ice hockey and lacrosse teams and was captain of the school's lacrosse team.

In 1941, he left Princeton University in February 1941 when the 29th Division was called into federal service on the eve of U.S. entry into World War II.

He served early in the war in the 110th Field Artillery Battalion in Bermuda but then was transferred to the 42nd Division. He fought with the 42nd in Germany and was awarded a Silver Star for gallantry in action.

Mr. Creighton was a deacon at the Second Presbyterian Church, St. Paul Street and Stratford Road in Baltimore, where a memorial service was to be conducted at 11 a.m. today.

He is survived by his wife of 46 years, the former Joan Wilcox; two daughters, Mary Colt Navins of Wayland, Mass., and Jill C. McNamara of Bethesda; a sister, Margaret C. Hooker of Ormond Beach, Fla.; and five grandchildren.

The family suggested memorial contributions to Keswick.

Patricia M. Lamdin

Doctors' secretary

Patricia M. Lamdin, who had worked as a secretary in several doctors' offices in Baltimore, died of emphysema March 2 at a hospital in Pueblo, Colo.

Miss Lamdin, who was 68, moved to Monument, Colo., in 1991.

Born in Baltimore, she was a 1942 graduate of what is now the Notre Dame Preparatory School and made her debut at the Bachelors Cotillon the next year.

She did volunteer work for the English Speaking Union and was a member of the National Society of the Colonial Dames of America in the State of Maryland.

Graveside services were to be conducted at 1:30 p.m. today at Loudon Park Cemetery, 3801 Frederick Ave., in Baltimore.

Copyright © 2019, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad