Firefighters battle blaze, wind, snow
Firefighters from Taneytown helped Frederick County battle a fire in a three-bedroom ranch home on Orndorff Road between Thurmont and Emmitsburg in Frederick County Sunday night.
Two Frederick County firefighters were injured.
The blaze, at the home of Leo B. Yingling Sr., apparently broke out when one of Mr. Yingling's sons attempted to start a farm tractor in a large garage attached to the house, according to an official of the Emmitsburg Volunteer Fire Department.
Wayne Powell, public relations officer, said that after the fire erupted in the garage, which contained three cars and the tractor, it spread into the living and dining rooms of the house and up to the attic.
Mr. Powell said firefighting equipment was hampered by the heavy snowfall and high winds. Two engines equipped with tire chains slid sideways while traveling about 25 mph on Route 15, the spokesman said.
The first units had to cross a snow-covered field when they were unable to locate the driveway.
The first engine managed to drive about half the distance to the house, and then firefighters carried and dragged hoses the remaining distance to battle the fire for more than five hours.
Mr. Powell said one firefighter suffered chest pains and was taken to Gettysburg Hospital, examined and later released.
The second injured firefighter slipped on an icy ladder and was treated at the scene.
Firefighters assisted family members in carrying eight pounds of black powder and several rifles from the burning building before the blaze reached the explosives and weapons, Mr. Powell said.
He estimated damage to be at least $150,000, though the state (( fire marshal's office had not gotten to the scene as of yesterday afternoon.
More than 100 firefighters and 22 pieces of equipment from Frederick and Carroll counties, and Adams and Franklin counties in Pennsylvania, shuttled water to the scene and battled the blaze.
* Union Bridge: Union Bridge and Taneytown of Carroll County, and New Midway and Woodsboro in Frederick County, responded to a chimney fire on Middleburg Road at 11:11 a.m. Friday. Units were out for 46 minutes.