Harry W. WeismanOf News AmericanHarry W. Weisman,...

Harry W. Weisman

Of News American


Harry W. Weisman, who worked in national advertising sales for many years before the closing of the News American in 1986, died Wednesday of congestive heart failure at Sinai Hospital.

The 88-year-old Pikesville resident moved to Baltimore in the 1920s and worked briefly for The Baltimore Sun before joining the staff of what was to become the News American.


A native of Ogopol in Russia, he came to this country as a child and was reared in New York City.

He began his working life as a copy boy for the New York Herald. He combined newspaper work and an interest in music, especially the Metropolitan Opera, to start a newsletter that later became Opera News.

He played the violin himself and, as a young man in Baltimore, led an orchestra that played at social events.

He was a member of the Excelsior Club, the Advertising Club, the Amicable Lodge of the Masons, the Baltimore Hebrew Congregation and the Brotherhood of the Beth El Congregation. He served on the board of Levindale and as president of the East Baltimore Boys.

Mr. Weisman's wife of 62 years, the former Belle Salanic, died in 1989.

He is survived by a daughter, Joan W. Ezersky of Pikesville; a brother, Max Weisman of New York City; two sisters, Charlotte Dubroff of New York City and Rebecca Troy of Richmond, Va.; and three grandchildren.

Services were conducted Thursday at Sol Levinson & Bros. in Baltimore.

The family suggested memorial to the Center for Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery at the Johns Hopkins Hospital through Dr. Paul Manson.


Stevenson Worrell

Auditor for Md. agency

Stevenson W. Worrell, an auditor in the state Office on Aging, died Monday at Maryland General Hospital after a heart attack.

He was 41 and lived on McCulloh Street.

He had worked for the state agency since 1984 after working as purchasing manager for the Hilton Inn in Pikesville since 1975.

A native of Barbados, he taught for a time after his graduation from high school there.


He also earned a certificate in hotel management at the Barbados Hotel School and woked in hotels on the island before moving to Baltimore in 1975.

He earned an associate's degree in accounting at what now is Baltimore City Community College in 1980, a bachelor's degree at the University of Baltimore and also attended Catonsville Community College, Towson State University and Morgan State University.

A founder of the Barbados National Association of Baltimore, he served three separate terms as its president and helped to raise funds for its annual scholarship.

He was also a member of the Griots' Circle of Maryland, an African storytelling group, and was treasurer of the National Festival of Black Storytelling, held in Baltimore in November.

He also worked with the local associations of people from Jamaica and Trinidad and Tobago.

He was a volunteer worker at Paul's Place, a shelter for homeless men.


Services for Mr. Worrell were to be conducted at 11 a.m. today at St. John's Evangelical Lutheran Church, 4403 Pimlico Road.

He is survived by his parents, Calvin and Ione Worrell of Barbados; four sisters, Ivanette Williams, Laverne Hoyte and Vanta Brewster, all of Baltimore, and Amelita Worrell of Barbados; and two brothers, McVern Worrell of Baltimore and Sylvan Worrell of Barbados.

Helen Taylor

School principal

Helen Taylor, a retired principal of Eastern High School in Baltimore, died Feb. 14 of complications of Parkinson's disease at Roland Park Place, where she had lived for about 10 years. She was 90.

The former Helen Chambers was a native of Baltimore, a 1918 graduate of Western High School and a 1920 graduate of what is now Towson State University. She earned a bachelor's degree from the Johns Hopkins University and a master's degree from Columbia University. She also attended Oxford University in England in 1948.


She began her teaching career in Baltimore in 1920. She later was promoted to supervisor and also headed English departments in both junior and senior high schools.

She was named principal of Hamilton Junior High School in 1955. The next year, she was appointed head of the English department at Eastern High School and became principal there in 1958. She retired in 1962.

Mrs. Taylor was a member of the Women's Club of Roland Park, the Johns Hopkins Club and the National Council of Teachers of English. She also served on several citywide school system committees.

She enjoyed playing bridge and traveling.

Her husband, Dr. J. Carey Taylor, who was an assistant superintendent of the city school system, died in 1970.

A memorial service for Mrs. Taylor at Faith Presbyterian Church is being planned.


She is survived by two stepsons, Donald Taylor of Parkton and Howell Taylor of Perry Hall; a brother, Marion H. Chambers Jr. of Riderwood; a sister, Emma Carter of Tucson, Ariz.; four grandchildren; and two great-grandchildren.

Maynard Phipps Jr.

Former Towson resident

Maynard Martin "Dick" Phipps Jr., chairman of a food brokerage firm in Pittsburgh and a former Towson resident, died of a heart attack Feb. 12 in Mount Lebanon, Pa., where he lived. He was 69.

He was chairman of the board of Tenser, Phipps & Leeper Inc., a food brokerage firm that was founded by his father, Maynard Sr., and great-uncle, A. J. Phipps.

Mr. Phipps, who lived in Towson in the 1950s, was a graduate of the University of Maryland. He served in the Army during World War II and was an infantryman at the Battle of the Bulge.


He was a member of the Food Brokers Association and a past president of the Pittsburgh Association of Manufacturers Representatives. He also belonged to Theta Chi Fraternity, the St. Clair Country Club and the Veterans of Foreign Wars.

Mr. Phipps was a member of St. Paul's Episcopal Church in Mount Lebanon, where services were held Feb. 17.

He is survived by his wife, Veronica; four daughters, Evelyn Schneider of Lake Orion, Mich., Marie Lucas of Columbia, Susan Deemer of Upper St. Clair, Pa., and Betsy Ann Cooper of Plantation, Fla.; and 10 grandchildren.

Arthur C. Smith

Martin Co. retiree

Arthur Clarence Smith, a retiree of the Glen L. Martin Co. in Baltimore and the Fairchild/Burns Co. in Winston-Salem, N.C., died Jan. 26 after a lengthy illness in Rural Hall, N.C.


A native of Bristol, Tenn., the 75-year-old outdoorsman is survived by his wife, Margaret Woods "Polly" Smith; a sister, Mildred Rosenbaum of Clearwater, Fla.; two nephews, Paul and Russell Harr of Tennessee; an aunt, Mrs. Miller Smith of Tennessee, and several cousins. His son, Arthur C. Smith Jr., died in 1990.

Services were conducted Jan. 28 in Rural Hall.

Hubert L. Sandy

Mason, church deacon

Hubert L. Sandy, a mason who worked for contractors since coming to the Baltimore area in 1971, died Feb. 27 at Maryland General Hospital after a heart attack.

Mr. Sandy, 51, was born and reared on the island of Tobago in Trinidad and Tobago.


He was a deacon at the Pillar of Truth Church of God of the Apostolic Faith, 2505 E. Madison St., where services were conducted yesterday.

His survivors include his wife, the former Yvonne Minter; two sons, Samuel and Hubert L. Sandy Jr. of Baltimore; four daughters, Naarah, Chandrah, Adina and Lillie Sandy, all of Baltimore; a brother, Alston Sandy of Trinidad, and six sisters, Annette Phillips of Baltimore, Eugena Grant of Kitchener, Ont., Canada, Miriam Phillips of Tobago and Margaret Prince, Izy Pilgrim and Shirley Prince, all of Trinidad.

Georgia H. Renaldo

Baltimore native

Georgia H. Renaldo, former senior customer service representative for Nazareth National Bank in Moorestown, Pa., died Jan. 5 at the University of Pennsylvania Hospital in Philadelphia.

The 50-year-old Baltimore native and Pen Argyl, Pa., resident was a member of Benders Mennonite Church in Plainfield Township, Pa.


She is survived by her father, George Harrison of Baltimore; her stepmother, Loretta Harrison of Baltimore; a son, Anthony Jr., at home; four daughters, Joanne, Julie, Carla and Janel, all at home; a brother, George Jr. of Baltimore; a sister, Ellyn Scott of Pen Argyl; and three stepsisters, Kathy Dunphy, Barbara Cooney and Nancy Wheatley, all of Baltimore.

Services were conducted Jan. 8 in Plainfield Township.

Margaret Miller

Retired nurse

Margaret Beall Miller, a retired nurse at the Linthicum Health Center, died February 27 at St. Agnes Hospital.

Mrs. Miller, 74, moved from Glen Burnie to the Charlestown Retirement Community more than two years ago. She retired in 1978 after working as a nurse at the health center since 1965.


Born in Davidsonville, she was a 1939 graduate of the University Hospital Nursing School and a 1940 graduate of the American Airlines School for Stewardesses.

She worked for a brief time as an airline stewardess and during World War II served in the Army Nurse Corps with an air evacuation unit in the China-Burma-India theater.

She was a member of the Bridge Club at Charlestown and had also belonged to Glen Lutheran Church, a nursing school alumnae group and American Legion Post 60 in Laurel.

She was also fond of painting, needlepoint and reading.

Her husband, Lee L. Miller, died in 1987.

Services were conducted Thursday at the Singleton Funeral Home in Glen Burnie.


Mrs. Miller is survived by two sons, Frederick W. Johnston of Mount Airy and Bennett E. Johnston of Takoma Park; three daughters, Susan Johnston Meyer of Pasadena, Sally Thelen-Kern of Glen Burnie and Sharon E. Johnston of Silverthorne, Colo.; a brother, Ninian Beall of Snow Hill; two sisters, Lucy McDonnell of Crownsville and Caroline Long of Williamsport; eight grandchildren; and two great-grandchildren.

Frederick J. Pasche

Historian, Italy native

Frederick J. Pasche, native of Italy, died Jan. 5 at the Harbor Hospital Center in South Baltimore after a two-year illness.

The 93-year-old historian, who lived in Boston until he moved to Linthicum 17 years ago, was a member of the St. Philip Neri Roman Catholic Church and the Knights of Columbus.

Mr. Pasche is survived by son John S. Pasche of Methuen, Mass.; daughter Catherine N. Bowersock of Linthicum; brothers Louis Pasche of Malden, Mass., and George Pasche of Irwin, Pa.; sisters Mary Colarusso and Jeanette Simonelli of Malden; seven grandchildren; 14 great-grandchildren and two great-great-grandchildren.


Services were conducted Jan. 9 at the church.

Wilbur C. LeGore

Limestone executive

Wilbur Corthel LeGore, retired officer of his family's LeGore Lime Co., died Feb. 6 of pneumonia at Northampton Manor, a nursing home in Frederick.

He was 85 and lived in LeGore, the Frederick County community where he was born.

He retired more than 20 years ago from the family firm that quarried and powdered limestone for agricultural use.


A 1924 graduate of Frederick High School and a 1926 graduate of Mercersburg Academy, he graduated in 1930 from Yale University. He earned academic awards and played sports at Mercersburg and at college. He was elected to Phi Beta Kappa in his junior year at Yale, where he lettered on the baseball team and was a champion welterweight boxer.

He was a former chaplain of the Westminster Lodge of the Elks, which named him Elk of the Year in 1976, and a member of Woodsboro Evangelical Lutheran Chuch.

Services for Mr. LeGore were conducted Feb. 9 at the Hartzler Funeral Home in Woodsboro.

He is survived by his wife of 59 years, the former Susan Condon; four daughters, Nancy Boyle of Emmitsburg, Trina Gelfond of Towson, Suzanne Moberly of Walkersville and Terrie Wills of Fairfield, Pa.; a sister, Shirley Maxine Clark of Mobile, Ala.; a brother, Marlin Luther LeGore of Woodsboro; 12 grandchildren; and 11 great-grandchildren.

Tambra Jones

Beauty school graduate


Tambra Jones, a Northwest Baltimore resident, died Feb. 18 of pneumonia at the Liberty Medical Center.

The 20-year-old Park Heights Avenue resident was a graduate of Douglass High School and the Ron Thomas Beauty School.

Services were conducted yesterday at the Gary P. March Funeral Home in Baltimore.

Her survivors include a son, Kenny Hopewell Jr. of Baltimore; a daughter, Tamisha Hopewell of Baltimore; her mother, Vanessa Givens of Baltimore; and her father, Antonio Jones of New York City.

A. M. Gladding

Retired engineer


A. Merryman Gladding, a retired project engineer for the Carr-Lowery Glass Co., died Tuesday of cancer at Union Memorial Hospital.

The 79-year-old Somerset Road resident retired nearly 20 years ago after working for Carr-Lowery since the end of World War II. He worked for the Swindell Brothers Glass Co. before the war.

The native Baltimorean was a graduate of the Polytechnic Institute and the Johns Hopkins University where he earned a mechanical engineering degree.

He began serving as an officer in the Army in 1940 and had attained the rank of lieutenant colonel when he left the service in 1946.

Recently elected to the board of the John Eager Howard Chapter of the Sons of the American Revolution, he also had memberships in the St. George's Society, the Johns Hopkins Club, the Maryland Historical Society and the Engineering Society of Baltimore and its Christie Society.

Services were conducted yesterday at St. David's Episcopal Church in Baltimore.


He is survived by his wife, the former Elisabeth Ruse; a daughter, Merry G. Highby of Baltimore; and a granddaughter.

Katherine Fulton

Church volunteer

Katherine Fulton, a church volunteer who enjoyed gardening and bird-watching, died Tuesday of cancer at the William Hill Manor Health Care Center in Easton. She was 84.

She returned to her native Queenstown in 1959 after having lived in Michigan since 1946. The former Katherine Cockey attended Goucher College.

She was a volunteer at Old Wye Episcopal Church, and especially enjoyed working at its annual bazaar.


Services were conducted yesterday at the church in Wye Mills.

Her husband, Dr. William James Fulton, died in 1986.

She is survived by a son, Dr. Edwin C. Fulton of Queenstown; six grandchildren; and four great-grandchildren.

James E. Frost

Elkton resident

James E. Frost, who had been a cook at the Iron Skillet Restaurant in Elkton for about four years, died Sunday at his Elkton home after a heart attack. He was 65.


After moving to Elkton 25 years ago, he worked for about a decade on the assembly line at Schult Mobile Home Corp.; worked at the Chuck House Restaurant; operated a fruit stand; and helped his wife manage the West End Gardens Motor Court.

A native of Midland in Western Maryland, he had lived in Ohio and New York before moving to Elkton.

Services were conducted Thursday at the Gee Funeral Home in Elkton.

He is survived by his wife, the former Shirley Ann Smith; a daughter, Deborah E. Jones of Elkton; two brothers, Aaron J. Frost of Midland and Eugene E. Frost of Lecanto, Fla.; three sisters, Marie Beeman of Pinto in Western Maryland and Lucille Polston and Edith Walters, both of St. Paul, N.C.; and four grandchildren.

Mabel E. Elburn

Ran produce business


Mabel Elizabeth Elburn, who operated Elburn's Produce in Kingstown with her husband and who also worked as a caretaker at the Chestertown Armory, died of a stroke Jan. 4 at Kent & Queen Anne's Hospital in Chestertown. She was 74.

She worked at the armory for 13 years. Her husband, Edward R. Elburn, was an administrative supply technician at the armory for 31 years. They retired as National Guard employees in 1978. They also had operated the produce business from 1946 until the mid-1970s.

The former Mabel Elizabeth Miller was a native of Still Pond.

Services were conducted Jan. 5 at the Fellows-Wells Funeral Home in Chestertown.

In addition to her husband of 50 years, she is survived by a son, Carl E. Elburn of Kingstown; a daughter, Joan E. Farley of King George, Va.; and three grandchildren.

Eileen Ruth Dorish


Westinghouse secretary

Eileen Ruth Dorish, a secretary for the Westinghouse Electric Corp., died Monday of cancer at her home in Pasadena.

The 48-year-old Baltimore native had worked for 20 years at the Westinghouse plant at Baltimore-Washington International Airport. She was a graduate of Catholic High.

A Mass of Christian burial was offered Thursday at St. Philip Neri Roman Catholic Church, Linthicum.

She is survived by a daughter, Stacey Dorish of Glen Burnie; her mother, Agnes Dorish of Glen Burnie; a sister, Mary M. Jones of Pasadena; and two nieces, Susan Lewis and Judith C. Couch, both of Pasadena.

The family suggested memorial contributions to Our Daily Bread.


A. H. Hilgartner Jr.

Company president

Andrew H. Hilgartner Jr., former president of the Hilgartner Marble and Granite Co. that was started by his grandfather, died Wednesday of pneumonia at Union Memorial Hospital.

He was 67 and lived in North Roland Park.

He was active with the company until it was sold about 20 years ago. The firm provided stone for the pink marble facade of the Sun Life Building in Charles Center and earlier did stonework in the Walters Art Gallery, the War Memorial Building, the lobby of the Standard Oil Building and other buildings in the Baltimore area.

Born in Baltimore, he was a 1944 graduate of the Gilman School and served in the Navy during World War II. In 1949, he graduated from Yale University.


In recent years, he was a real estate manager for Wallace H. Campbell & Co. Inc. He retired from the firm about a year ago.

He was a member of the Session of the Roland Park Presbyterian Church, the board of Union Memorial Hospital, the Elkridge Club and was a subscriber of the Bachelors Cotillon.

In addition to his Baltimore home, he maintained a home on the Eastern Shore in Talbot County.

His wife, the former Clare Pennock, died in 1991.

A memorial service for Mr. Hilgartner was to be conducted at 11 a.m. today at Roland Park Presbyterian Church, 4801 Roland Ave., in Baltimore.

He is survived by a son, Andrew P. Hilgartner of Taunton, Mass.; two daughters, Catherine H. Musucci of Chatham, N.J., and Emilie H. Blaze of Baltimore; his mother, Margaret W. Hilgartner of Baltimore; and a sister, Dr. Margaret Hilgartner of Tenafly, N.J.


The family suggested memorial contributions to Roland Park Presbyterian Church or to the Columbarium of Brown Memorial Woodbrook Presbyterian Church.

Consuelo Connors

Hochschild's retiree

Consuelo R. Connors, a retired shoe salesclerk at the old Hochschild-Kohn department store, died Feb. 23 at Keswick of heart failure.

The 90-year-old Hamilton resident retired 20 years ago from the downtown Hochschild's, where she had worked for 50 years. A native of Pennsylvania who was reared in Fayetteville, Pa., the former Consuelo R. Mowers came to Baltimore as a young woman. Her husband, John R. Connors, died in 1950.

Services for Mrs. Connors, who is survived by several cousins, were conducted yesterday at Leonard J. Ruck Inc. in Baltimore.


The family suggested memorial donations could be made to her church, St. Mark's Lutheran Church, 1900 St. Paul St., Baltimore.

Delmonico Jones


Services for Delmonico Jones, a 6-year-old boy who was killed in a fire Sunday at the home of his paternal grandparents in the 4200 block of Pimlico Road, were to be conducted at 11 a.m. today at the Imani Community Baptist Church, 2125 W. Pratt St., where an uncle, the Rev Leon Jones Jr., is pastor.

The Baltimore native, who lived on Lawnpark Avenue, was a first-grader at Unseld's School.

He was fond of gospel music and had been taught to sing by his paternal grandfather. He also was a junior usher and junior deacon at his uncle's church.


The boy was also a sports fan who was especially interested in wrestling basketball and football.

His survivors include his father, Delmonico Jones Sr.; his mother, Cya Ray; two brothers, Brandon Ray and Devon Jones; two sisters, Samantha and Latonya Jones; his paternal grandparents, Lee and Val Jones; and his maternal grandparents, Joyce Jones and Richard Jones, Sr. All are of Baltimore.

William G. Williams

Villa Julie freshman

William Grayson Williams, a freshman at Villa Julie College who lived in Hanover, died Wednesday at the Maryland Shock Trauma Center after being injured in an accident Jan. 30 on Montgomery Road in Ellicott City. He was 18.

A Baltimore native, Mr. Williams was a 1992 graduate of Cardinal Gibbons High School. He attended St. Augustine's School in Elkridge and was a former member of the Gymnastics Plus Boys Team in Columbia.


Mr. Williams was planning to go into law enforcement. His father, John Williams, who died in 1986, was a Maryland State Police sergeant.

A Mass of Christian burial was to be offered at 10 a.m. today at St. Augustine's Roman Catholic Church, 5976 Old Washington Road, Elkridge.

The family suggested that memorial contributions could be made to the St. John Neumann Fund in care of the church. Frank Alden Edwards, a retired captain of merchant ships, died Feb. 13 at Harbor Hospital Center of complications from pneumonia.

He was 71 and lived in Brooklyn Park for 43 years. He retired 10 years ago.

A native of White Rock, Mich., he graduated from Harbor Beach (Mich.) High School.

He began his career as a ship's officer during World War II after he graduated from what is now the Maritime College of the State University of New York at Throgs Neck in the Bronx. He later took advanced courses at the Linthicum Heights school of the International Organization of Masters, Mates and Pilots.


He enjoyed farming, hunting, fishing and camping, and was a member of St. John's Lodge of the Masons.

His wife, the former Alice M. Skeens, died in 1989.

Mr. Edwards is survived by two sons, Frank Glenn Edwards of Berlin, Md., and David A. Edwards of Brooklyn Park; a daughter, Sheila S. Trice of Brooklyn Park; a stepdaughter, Genevieve Breckenridge of Moorfield, W.Va.; two brothers, Harold Edwards of Harbor Beach and Howard Edwards of Owosso, Mich.; two sisters, Marie Koehn of Harbor Beach and Eleanor Schroeder of Saginaw, Mich.; eight grandchildren; and nine great-grandchildren.

Services were held Feb. 17 at Brooklyn Heights United Methodist Church, where Mr. Edwards was a member.

Wilson P. Roe

Paper company executive


Wilson P. Roe, retired chairman of the board of the Fiber Products Co., died Wednesday of cancer at his Catonsville home.

Mr. Roe, 76, retired in 1983 as chairman of the board of the paper products distributing company he started in 1950.

The Baltimore native was a graduate of Forest Park High School and attended the Johns Hopkins University. During World War II, he served as an officer in the Army in France.

He was a former president of the advisory board of St. Agnes Hospital, on which he served from 1979 until 1986. He also was a member of the Rolling Road Country Club and a former member of the Turf Valley Country Club.

Services were to be conducted at 10 a.m. today at the Leroy M. and Russell C. Witzke Funeral Home, 1630 Edmondson Ave., Catonsville.

He is survived by his wife of 50 years, the former Ruth Suffel; two sons, Richard W. Roe and Douglas P. Roe, and a daughter, Judith E. Mays, all of the Baltimore area; a brother, Kenneth Roe of Florida; and two sisters, Edith Thompson of Baltimore and Eleanor Riley of Sarasota, Fla.


Hilda Fuller Kane

Red Cross volunteer

Hilda Fuller Kane, a Red Cross volunteer for 60 years who was also active in the Episcopal Church, died Feb. 19 of heart and respiratory illness at the William Hill Manor in Easton where she had lived since 1985.

She was 93 and had moved from Beverly, N.J., to Chestertown in 1945.

The former Hilda Fuller was a native of Hyattsville and a graduate of Central High School in Washington, D.C. She served on the vestry of Emmanuel Episcopal Church in Chestertown and had sung in the choir at St. Stephen's Episcopal Church in Beverly. She enjoyed playing bridge and bingo.

Her husband of 53 years, Brian B. Kane, died in 1974.


A memorial service for Mrs. Kane was to be conducted at 2 p.m. today at Emmanuel Episcopal Church.

Her survivors include a daughter, Nancy Kane Sandoe of Acworth, N.H.; six grandchildren; and eight great-grandchildren.

The family suggested memorial contributions to Emmanuel Episcopal Church or the American Red Cross.

M. Madelyn Bracken

Longtime nurse

M. Madelyn Bracken, a retired nurse and volunteer, died Feb. 23 at the Meridian Nursing Center-Homewood of a respiratory illness.


She was 72 and lived in Columbia.

She retired in 1972 as a staff nurse at Bon Secours Hospital, where she had worked since 1969. In retirement, she was a volunteer for the Red Cross and the Job Corps.

The former Madelyn White was a native of Altoona, Pa., who came to Baltimore to attend the South Baltimore General Hospital nursing school, from which she graduated in 1941.

While at the nursing school, she won cash prizes for having the best marks in two different years.

She remained at South Baltimore General, where she became night supervisor of nurses, until 1945. She then worked as an industrial nurse for the Koppers Co. for 10 years.

Later, she supervised the medical department at the American Can Co. plant in Halethorpe and, in the late 1960s, was in charge of the Howard Research and Development Co.'s medical clinic trailer for construction workers building Columbia.


Her first husband, Bernard J. Forrester, died in 1970. In 1973, she married Charles O. Bracken, who died two years later.

A memorial Mass for Mrs. Bracken was to be offered at 11 a.m. today at St. Louis Roman Catholic Church, 12500 Clarksville Pike in Clarks- ville.

Survivors include a son, James Forrester of Laguna Niguel, Calif.; a brother, Wallace J. White of Laurel; a sister, Elaine Yost of Lusby; and three grandchildren.