Old telephone directories will be collected at sites throughout the county this month for reuse as insulation, ceiling tiles and other recycled products.
Residents and businesses can leave their old directories in the recycling container in the swimming pool parking lot at Truxton Park in Annapolis through March 31. Additional drop-off sites, including several elementary schools, will be available on certain days through April 2.
Hotels, which often have telephone books in every room, can arrange with the county recycling office for pickup March 15.
A ton of telephone books, which would take up three cubic yards of landfill space, can be used to make 30,000 egg cartons, said county Department of Utilities spokeswoman Jody Vollmar.
This is the second year the county's recycling office has collected telephone books, which account for 4 percent of the trash generated nationwide, for recycling. Last year's 10-day collection at the Millersville Landfill netted 3,260 pounds of phone books.
"Last year was the test, and this year is our first all-out effort," said Mrs. Vollmar, stressing that the special bins are for directories only.
If magazines and catalogs are included, Mrs. Vollmar said, the load will be considered "contaminated" and be dumped at a landfill.
The C&P; Telephone Co. is providing materials to advertise the program and will find recycling markets for the collected phone books, Mrs. Vollmar said.
Participating elementary schools will compete to collect the most books. The winner will have a parade this spring; all the schools will receive a board game from C&P; called "Cut the Trash."
Directories will be accepted at these sites and at these times:
* Heritage Office Complex, March 1-3, 9 am. to 3 p.m.
* Annapolis Plaza by the AT&T; Phone Center, 150 Jennifer Road, March 4, 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.
* Naval Academy Commissary, March 5 and 6, 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.
* Maryland City Fire Department, Route 198, March 6, 8:30 a.m. to 3 p.m.
* Fort Meade, Rose Street Commissary, March 9 to 13, all hours.
* Cape St. Claire Fire Department, 1373 Cape St. Claire Road, March 13, 8:30 a.m. to 3 p.m.
* Ridgeway Elementary School, Evergreen Road, March 17, 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.
Millersville Estates, 1601 Millersville Road, March 18, 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.
* Marley Station Mall, front parking lot, March 19 and 20, 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.
* Lake Shore Plaza, 4100 Mountain Road, March 20, 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.
* Chesapeake Bay Middle School parking lot, Mountain Road, March 22, 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.
* High Point Elementary School, 924 Duvall Highway, March 23, 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.
* Hillsmere Elementary, Arundel on the Bay Road, March 24 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.
* Odenton Elementary, Odenton Road, March 25, 8:30 a.m. to 3 p.m.
* Georgetown East Elementary, Dogwood Road, March 26, 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.
* Crofton Elementary, Duke of Kent Street, March 27, 8:30 a.m. to 3 p.m.
* Belvedere Elementary School, Broadwater Road at Mago Vista Road, March 29, 11 a.m. to 3 p.m.
* Broadneck Elementary, Shore Acres Road, March 30, 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.
* Riviera Beach Elementary, Jenkins Road, March 31, 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.
* Woodside Elementary, Funke Road, April 1, 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.
* Edgewater Elementary, Washington Road, April 2, 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.