Beulah B. Tatum
Beulah Benton Tatum, a former head of Goucher College's education department and graduate program, died of pneumonia at the Broadmead Retirement Community Feb. 2. She was 83.
Dr. Tatum, a native of Minnesota, came to Baltimore in 1936 to attend graduate school at the Johns Hopkins University and remained in the area until her death.
After receiving her Ph.D. from Hopkins in 1943, she became an assistant professor of education at the university, a position she held until 1955.
From 1948 to 1955, she also was a part-time, visiting lecturer at Goucher College in Towson.
In 1955, she began working full time at Goucher, where she was an education professor, chairwoman of the education department and director of the graduate program. She retired in 1972 and was named professor emeritus.
A member of the American Association of University Women, Dr. Tatum was vice president of the Maryland division from 1945 to 1946 and was a director of the College Club, the Baltimore branch of the AAUW.
She was an editor of the journal and president and consultant of Pi Lambda Theta, a trustee of the Deiches Educational Fund of Baltimore in 1956 and a member and chairwoman of the Teacher Education Advisory Council of Maryland.
In 1960, she received an honorary doctor of letters degree from Hamline University, where 29 years earlier, she earned her bachelor's degree.
She was elected to Phi Beta Kappa, Pi Kappa Delta, Pi Gamma Mu, Pi Lambda Theta honorary organizations. She received the Distinguished Public Service Award from the Maryland chapter of the Arthritis Foundation.
In 1979, Goucher College established a scholarship fund in her name. The Beulah B. Tatum Award in Education is given to high school students for outstanding academic performance.
She is listed in the "Who's Who of American Women," "Who's Who in America" and "Who's Who in the World."
Mrs. Tatum was a director -- and in 1948, president -- of the Baltimore YWCA.
She was a longtime member of First and Franklin Street Presbyterian Church. She and Chauncey R. Tatum were married in 1937. He died in 1988.
The Tatums lived in Ten Hills and then in the Wakefield area of Baltimore County before she and her husband moved to Broadmead when it opened in 1979.
Born in Willmar, Minn., in 1909, the former Beulah I. Benton was a 1927 graduate of Willmar High School. She studied history and social studies at Hamline University in St. Paul, Minn. From 1931 to 1936 she worked at New London High School in New London, Minn. first as a social studies teacher and later as principal.
Mrs. Tatum is survived by her sister, Blanche Benton Wilshin of Baltimore; three nephews; three grand-nieces; one grand-nephew; and several cousins.
A private service was held at Loudon Park Cemetery on Feb. 8.
The family suggested memorial donations to the Arthritis Foundation, Maryland Chapter, 1777 Reisterstown Road, No. 175, Baltimore, Md. 21208, or to the Broadmead Residents' Assistance Fund, 13801 York Road, Cockeysville, Md. 21030.
John H. Stockdale
John Harry Stockdale, a retired floor-covering installer, died of cancer Feb. 9 at his home in Glen Burnie.
He was 62 and a resident of Glen Burnie for 14 years.
The native of Washington, Pa., retired in 1986. He had worked the previous eight years at Carpet Land Inc. Previously, he worked for other carpet companies in Maryland and Pennsylvania.
He served in the Air Force in the mid-1950s, attaining the rank of sergeant.
He was a member of the Glen Burnie Assembly of God and enjoyed cooking, gardening and fishing.
Services for Mr. Stockdale were conducted Sunday at the Hummell-Barnhill Funeral Home in Washington, Pa.
He is survived by his wife of 22 years, the former Melody K. Stewart; four sons, John Stockdale of Washington, Pa., David Stockdale of Utica, Ohio, H. Lloyd Stockdale of Boulder, Colo., and Robert Stockdale of Point Richmond, Calif.; two daughters, Kathleen and Dierdre Stockdale, both of Glen Burnie; his mother, Teresa Ann Rau Stockdale of Washington, Pa.; four sisters, Laura Logan of Apache Junction, Ariz., and Glee Stemple, Goldie Chaney and Jackie Grantz, all of Washington, Pa.; and two grandchildren.
Brother Thomas M. Scully, F.S.C., a biology and religion teacher who was on the faculty of Calvert Hall College from 1948 until 1963, died Thursday of kidney failure and heart disease at La Salle Hall, the Christian Brothers' residence in Ammendale in the Beltsville area.
He was 80 and had lived at La Salle Hall for the past 20 years.
Before moving to Baltimore, Brother Thomas served as president and head of the religious community at St. John's College High School in Washington. He also taught at high schools in Pennsylvania -- in Pittsburgh, Scranton and Radnor -- during his 41-year teaching career.
Born James Malachy Scully in 1912 in Newark, N.J., he entered the juniorate of the brothers of the Christian Schools in Ammendale in 1925. He took his final vows as Brother Fidelis Thomas in 1937.
He earned bachelor's and master's degrees from Catholic University.
He is survived by his brother, Maurice "Bud" Scully of Avon by the Sea, N.J.
A Mass of the Resurrection was offered for Brother Thomas Monday at St. Joseph's Chapel in Ammendale.
Phyllis C. Ronzone
Expert bridge player
Phyllis Conklin Ronzone, who traveled extensively and was a life master duplicate bridge player, died Thursday at St. Agnes Hospital of complications of a broken shoulder. She was 95.
Mrs. Ronzone lived in the Charlestown Retirement Community and was an active member of Catonsville Presbyterian Church and the Woman's Club of Catonsville.
Her first husband, C. Russell Conklin, died in 1959. Her second husband, Philip Ronzone, died in 1979.
The former Phyllis Nelson was a native of Somerville, Mass. She worked in a bank in New York City as a young woman.
Before moving with her first husband to Catonsville in 1935, she operated a volunteer mobile lending library in Elkins Park, Pa., that served communities in the Philadelphia suburbs. She replaced the back seat of a car with shelves and drove about the area with her books.
During World War II, she was a volunteer civil defense worker in Baltimore.
Mrs. Ronzone is survived by a son, C. Russell Conklin of Catonsville; a daughter, Carol R. Hughes of Catonsville; seven grandchildren; and five great-grandchildren.
Services were conducted yesterday in the chapel at Charlestown.
Michael Morgan Crossfield, a businessman and consultant who called himself "the Corporate Handyman," died Saturday of cancer at a hospital in Los Angeles.
Mr. Crossfield, who was 52 and known as Mitch, had operated businesses in Baltimore; Amsterdam, the Netherlands; Los Angeles; and Fort Lauderdale, Fla.
He moved to Los Angeles about eight years ago.
For a short time before that, he was a real estate investor and owner of a natural foods business in Fort Lauderdale.
In Baltimore in the 1970s and early 1980s, he was a partner in the Renaissance Realty Co. During that period, he also owned two book stores, Valley Books in Pikesville and Towson Books, where he was awarded a citation from the Towson Business Association.
He had also been a partner in Moonstone Book Sellers, a Washington store that specialized in science fiction.
Earlier, he lived for a time in the Netherlands and operated a book store in Amsterdam.
He was a member of the board of the Southern California Tissue Bank, a supporter of the American Foundation for AIDS Research and of the AIDS Interfaith Residential Services, which is planning to name a hospice in Baltimore for him. Friends suggested memorial contributions be made to the Baltimore group, at 600 W. North Ave.
Born in New York City, he was reared in Baltimore. His parents were the late Philip and Rachel Grossfield.
Services for Mr. Crossfield were to be conducted at 1 p.m. today at Sol Levinson & Bros., 6010 Reisterstown Road.
He is survived by two friends, Nicholas Piscatelli of Baltimore and Ron Braverman of Los Angeles.
C. Mitchell Davidson
Owned produce stand
C. Mitchell Davidson, a farmer who owned a produce stand in Stevensville for many years, died Sunday of heart disease at the Memorial Hospital in Easton.
Mr. Davidson, who was 91, opened the stand in 1957 at his farm on Route 8, near the old Matapeake ferry terminal, which is now a state park.
A native of Carmichael, he had farmed in Stevensville for many years.
He was a former vestryman at Christ Episcopal Church in Stevensville, where services were to be conducted at 11 a.m. today.
His wife, the former Lula Beatrice Jackson, died in 1984.
He is survived by a daughter, Emily Davidson Powers of Bel Air; a brother, Philip T. Davidson of Stevensville; four granddaughters; and 11 great-grandchildren.
Adam M. Kozlewski
Retired factory worker
Adam M. Kozlewski, a retired soap factory worker, died Saturday of heart failure at the home of his son on Aquahart Road in Glen Burnie.
Mr. Kozlewski, who was 83 and lived in Brooklyn Park for 50 years, retired in 1971 as a feeder for a stamping machine at the Procter & Gamble Co. plant in Locust Point where he worked for 42 years.
A native of Biloxi, Miss., he moved to Baltimore with his family as a child.
Fond of fishing and crabbing, he also worked part time as an oyster shucker at social affairs held at various locations, especially the Gambrills Athletic Club and the Patrick Henry Post of the American Legion.
He was a member of St. Rose of Lima Roman Catholic Church.
A Mass of Christian burial was to be offered at 10 a.m. today at St. Stanislaus Kostka Roman Catholic Church, 700 S. Ann St.
He is survived by his wife of 58 years, the former Alice Strezgowski; a son, Raymond Kozlewski of Glen Burnie; six grandchildren; and two great-grandchildren.
Adolph H. Humphreys, an expert on camouflage who retired as a colonel in the Army Reserve and as a civilian Army employee, died Friday of emphysema at a nursing home near Lexington, Va.
Colonel Humphreys, a Baltimore native, was 74.
He was a graduate of City College who completed his study of sculpture at the Maryland Institute in 1941.
But because of World War II, he was unable to use his Rinehart Scholarship for study in Europe and, a short while later, he became an officer in the Army assigned to the Corps of Engineers. He was stationed at Fort Belvoir in Virginia, where he served for a time as head of the camouflage branch. He left active duty in 1947 as a captain.
He remained in the Reserve and worked as a civilian both on camouflage and in administrative posts in the research facilities at Fort Belvoir.
He retired as both a Reserve officer and as a civilian employee in 1978.
He had been president of the Fort Belvoir and Virginia units of the Reserve Officers Association and a vice president of the national association. After he retired, he worked full time for the association for about five years as national director of membership and retirement affairs.
He also helped with the design of the association's national headquarters and chapel in Washington, designed and built a cross for the altar of a Springfield, Va., church and received four patents for award medallions he designed for several organizations.
Long a resident of Alexandria, Va., he was active in youth baseball programs there and as an adult leader of the Boy Scouts, winning the Silver Beaver Award.
Services for Colonel Humphreys were to be conducted at 9:45 a.m. today at the Demaine Funeral Home in Alexandria.
His wife of 25 years, the former Anna Burke Long, died last year.
He is survived by a son, A. Henry Humphreys Jr. of Wicomico, Va.; a daughter, Susan Humphreys Dittman of Lexington; a brother, Millard Humphreys of Canfield, Ohio; and five grandchildren.
Brother John Bardo
Brother John Bardo, C.F.X., director of personnel of the Sacred Heart Province of the Xaverian Brothers, died Monday of a heart attack at his home in Catonsville. He was 68.
Brother John, who had also been a teacher at Mount St. Joseph High School and director of religious education at St. Vincent de Paul Church, had held the post at the Ellicott City headquarters of what is also known as the American Central Province of his order for the last two years.
He had taught English, French and religion at Mount St. Joseph from 1958 until 1973 and also taught at high schools in Lowell, Mass.; Brooklyn, N.Y.; Bardstown and Louisville, Ky.; and Bangor, Maine.
In addition, he served as director of religious education for parishes in Olney and Indian Head in Maryland, and in Delaware. He also had been director of religious education for the Diocese of Arlington, Va..
Born in Windber, Pa., he entered the Brothers of St. Francis Xavier in 1942 and completed the order's juniorate in Peabody, Mass., and its novitiate in Old Point Comfort, Va.
For some years, he was known by the religious name, Brother Vincent Ferrer.
A Mass of the Resurrection will be offered at 9:30 a.m. tomorrow at St. Vincent de Paul Church, 120 N. Front St. in downtown Baltimore.
He is survived by two brothers, Nicholas Bardo of Johnstown, Pa., and Joseph Bardo of Jacksonville, Fla.; a sister, Angeline Crognale of Windber; and many nieces and nephews.
Nellie H. Moore
Nellie H. Moore, who retired 23 years ago as liaison between the Baltimore school system and what is now the Kennedy Krieger Institute, died Saturday of pneumonia at a hospital in New York City.
Mrs. Moore, who was 88, moved from Baltimore to New York three years ago.
She taught at schools in Camden, N.J., in the 1920s and then began a career in Baltimore schools that also included assignments as a guidance counselor, special-education teacher, and teacher of an adult class on parenting.
In the late-1940s, she worked full time for the Girl Scouts, organizing units for black members and training leaders for the groups.
Born in Cape Charles, Va., and reared in Moorestown, N.J., the former Nellie Henry attended Cornell University before graduating from what is now Morgan State University. She was a charter member of the Alpha Kappa Alpha chapter at Morgan.
She was a member of Jack and Jill of America, a family oriented organization that aims to foster self-esteem in children. She also belonged to two social clubs, the Cornelias and the Sunday 16.
A memorial service will be conducted at noon tomorrow at Grace Presbyterian Church, 2604 Bannister Road.
Her husband, Alfred V. Moore owner of the Em Cee Contracting Co., died in 1987.
She is survived by four daughters, Katherine Moore of New York City, Rosalie Moore of Fairfax, Calif., Angela Moore Colley of East Norristown, Pa., and Virginia Abraham of Tallahassee, Fla.; and three grandchildren.