An article in The Sun yesterday reported...

An article in The Sun yesterday reported incorrectly the site o the memorial service for Maryland thoroughbred trainer Bernie Bond. The service will be at 11 a.m. tomorrow at the Jenkins funeral establishment, 4905 York Road in Govans.

The Sun regrets the errors.


Trainer Bernie Bond dies at 75

Track veteran of 50 years had recently retired


Bernie Bond, considered one of Maryland's premier thoroughbred trainers and a master at developing precocious 2-year-olds, died early yesterday from cardiac arrest at St. Joseph's Hospital in Towson.

Bond, 75, was hospitalized about two weeks ago with an aneurysm in the aorta of his stomach. He was released from intensive care a couple of days ago and, according to friends, seemed to be making progress. But at 3:15 a.m. yesterday, he died.

Just a few weeks ago, Bond, who had trained horses on the local circuit for nearly 50 years, announced his retirement and turned his string of about a half-dozen runners over to his assistant, Graham Motion.

"It is almost eerie how he seemed to have things planned out," said Bruce Carter, his accountant and attorney. "The day he turned over his horses to Graham is when he was hospitalized. And when he announced his retirement in The Daily Racing Form, he predicted he wouldn't be here in another month."

Except for army service in World War II -- he was a decorated combat captain in the European theater -- Bond was a lifelong horseman.

He began his career as a hotwalker for his oldest brother, J. Bowes Bond, in the 1930s and saddled his first winner in 1939. Through the end of last year, Bond had won 2,225 races and his horses had earned $14,919,769. He led the trainer standings five times at Pimlico and twice at Monmouth Park in New Jersey.

His first good horse was the 1952 Maryland-bred champion mare, Cinda. Bond operated a large claiming stable and did not come up with another top runner until he developed multiple stakes winner Clever Foot in 1967.

After that came a succession of stakes horses beginning in 1969 with Rollicking and about a dozen of that horse's offspring who won or placed in stakes.


Bond said the best filly he trained was Rollicking's daughter, Singing Susan, and the best horse he trained was 1980 Laurel Futurity winner, Cure the Blues.

The son of Stop The Music, owned by Bert and Diana Firestone, was a rogue when the Firestones first sent the horse to Bond. But Bond was patient with the animal, fed him peppermints and after equipping him with blinkers, the horse was undefeated in five starts as a 2-year-old and was ranked second best nationwide to champion Lord Avie.

Bond did not want to leave Maryland to prepare the colt for the Triple Crown, so the Firestones turned the horse over to Leroy Jolley. But Cure the Blues never lived up to his promise.

Recently Bond was represented by the 1991 champion Maryland-bred 3-year-old Gala Spinaway.

Among Bond's longtime patrons were Robert Leonard, and his wife, Nancy, part owners of Glade Valley Farm near Frederick; Gertrude and Skip Leviton of of New Jersey; and Alice and Eugene Ford.

A memorial service for Bond will be held at 11 a.m. Wednesday at the Jenkins funeral establishment, 4905 York Road, Timonium. Bond will be cremated. He requested that his ashes be spread at the finish line at Pimlico Race Course.


Bond is survived by his wife, Betty; a daughter, Jacqueline Carter of Waukegan, Ill., and five grandchildren.

Sprintfest concludes today

The 1993 Laurel Sprintfest concludes today with the 18th running of the General George Stakes.

King Leatherbury tries for his third General George victory and starts Nick and Elaine Bassford's Ameri Valay.

Leatherbury won the race in 1977 and 1978 with Do The Bump and Ten Ten when the stakes was contested at Bowie.

The favorite is last year's winner, Senor Speedy, an invader from New York.


Yesterday, Herman Kossow's Champion Jay came from off the pace and defeated front-runner You Slewz You Lose in the Silver Ice Stakes.

Champion Jay is the latest in a number of filly and mare stakes winners campaigned by the Washington dentist with trainer Carlos Garcia. Kossow also raced Donetta, War Exchange and Lucky Lady Lauren.


Edgar Prado finished third at Aqueduct with Winka yesterday in the Busher Breeders' Cup. . . . Michael Sonnenfeld and his wife, Betty Symington, of Monkton, have purchased Jervy and Sharon Marshall's Whitehackle Farm in Upperco. No one successfully bid on the 80-acre farm at a public auction last week.