Charles Stokes Sr.Lieutenant ColonelRetired Air Force Lt....


Charles Stokes Sr.

Lieutenant Colonel

Retired Air Force Lt. Col. Charles Lee Stokes Sr., who served in the armed forces during World War II, the Berlin Airlift and the Korean War, died yesterday of pancreatic cancer after being ill for a year and a half.

He was 68.

In civilian life for 15 years, until he retired in 1982, Colonel Stokes worked in sales at the old Sears store on North Avenue and in Hunt Valley in several departments, including automotive.

Born and reared in Freeport, Pa., Colonel Stokes began his military career in 1943 as a bomber pilot with the Army Air Corps and flew missions in China, Burma and India.

He participated in the occupation of Japan after the war.

He was awarded the Bronze Star for service during the Berlin Airlift.

After his participation in the Korean War, he flew KC-97 refueling planes with the Strategic Air Command, and retired as an operations officer.

He was married for 45 years to the former Lillian March.

The couple met during World War II, when she was a Army nurse in the United States, and treated him for a sore throat.

Mrs. Stokes died in December.

"They fell in love instantly," said Patricia S. Lawlor, one of their daughters.

In addition to Patricia Stokes of Freeland, Colonel Stokes is survived by another daughter, Kathleen Winkler of Towson; a son, South Carolina Army National Guard 1st Lt. Charles Lee Stokes Jr., of Charleston, S.C.; two sisters, Grace McQueen of Freeport, Pa., and Eleanor Burkett of Fairless Hills, Pa.; and seven grandchildren.

Services are scheduled for 8 p.m. tomorrow at the Ruck Towson Funeral Home, 1050 York Road, with burial 10 a.m.

Tuesday at Arlington National Cemetery.

The family suggested memorial contributions to the St. Joseph Hospital Hospice Program, 7620 York Road, Towson 21204.

George Phillips Sr.

Retired engineer

George Bagwell Phillips Sr., a retired engineer and executive with Martin Marietta Corp., died Friday of complications from lung surgery at the Care Center of the Charlestown Retirement Community in Catonsville.

Mr. Phillips, who was 85, was born in Harpers Ferry, W.Va.

He was a 1926 graduate of the Virginia Episcopal School in Lynchburg, Va.

He took up pre-medical studies at the University of Virginia and attended West Virginia University's graduate school, where he studied chemical engineering.

He began his career in 1928 as a chemist at the Standard Lime and Stone Co. in Martinsburg, W. Va., where he lived for many years.

Mr. Phillips remained with the company as it eventually became part of Martin Marietta Corp.

He moved to Severna Park in 1965 when he became vice president of operations in the Baltimore office of Martin Marietta's Refactories Division.

He retired in 1972.

Mr. Phillips was a Navy veteran of World War II, attaining the rank of lieutenant commander.

He was executive officer aboard the USS Megara, which was heading for Japan when the war ended.

He was an avid golfer and enjoyed boating, reading and woodworking.

Services were scheduled for 2 p.m. tomorrow at Zion Episcopal Church in Charles Town, W.Va.

The family suggested memorial contributions to the American Cancer Society.

He is survived by his wife of 54 years, the former Langhorne M. Martin; three sons, George B. Phillips Jr. of Darnestown, A. Martin Phillips of Annapolis and John L. Phillips of Shepherdstown, W.Va.; a brother, Douglas W. Phillips of Williamsburg, Va.; and five grandchildren.

Catherine Ferrigno

School cashier

Catherine Ferrigno, a retired cashier at Dundalk Junior High School, died Friday of congestive heart failure at the Calvert Manor Nursing Home in Rising Sun. She was 80.

She was born Catherine Saggiomo in Hammonton, N.J.

Mrs. Ferrigno was educated in New Jersey and lived in Pennsylvania for several years before moving to Maryland in 1938 when she married Anthony C. Ferrigno Sr., a ship fitter for Bethlehem Steel in Sparrows Point.

He died in 1984.

The couple lived in Highlandtown until 1944, when they bought their first home in Dundalk.

Mrs. Ferrigno remained in Dundalk until January 1992, when she moved in with her son in Perryville.

Mrs. Ferrigno was a seamstress at a clothing factory in Highlandtown in the 1940s.

In 1955, she became a cashier in the cafeteria at Dundalk Junior High School, where she worked until her retirement in 1981.

She enjoyed cooking and sewing and often made clothes for herself and her daughter.

She is survived by a son, Anthony C. Ferrigno Jr. of Perryville; a daughter, Dolores A. Baker of Baltimore; and five grandchildren.

Services will be held at 11 a.m. tomorrow at the chapel at Dulaney Valley Memorial Gardens, 200 E. Padonia Road, Cockeysville.

Mr. and Mrs. Reather

Memorial service

A memorial service for Chester F. Reather, a retired biological photographer, and his wife, Minnie Mae Reather, a retired

secretary for the Baltimore County Health Department, were to be conducted at 5 p.m. today at Glen Meadows, the retirement community at 11630 Glen Arm Road in Glen Arm.

Mr. Reather, who was 86 and moved from Rodgers Forge to Glen Meadows in 1988, died Jan. 12 of heart failure at the retirement community.

His wife, 82, died Jan. 31 of heart failure at Good Samaritan Hospital.

Mr. Reather retired in 1976 as director of photographic services at the Johns Hopkins Medical School, a post he had held since 1949.

The Baltimore native began his career in the 1920s in the photographic laboratories at Hopkins and in 1935 became staff photographer for the Carnegie Institute's Department of Embryology in Baltimore.

During World War II, he returned to Hopkins, working for the War Department in the chemistry department.

He was a director of the Maryland Academy of Sciences and the Biological Photographic Association, which also named him a fellow and gave him its highest award for his work.

Author of many articles on medical photography, his illustrations, especially of embryos, appeared in many textbooks and such publications as the "Encyclopaedia Britannica" and Life, Time and Fortune magazines.

His wife, the former Minnie Mae Dankmeyer, was also a Baltimore native and a 1928 graduate of the Western High School.

Before her retirement in 1975, she worked for many years for the county Health Department.

In addition, she worked with her husband, helping with the developing and printing of his pictures.

A member of the Senior Citizens of Towson and the Ascension Lutheran Church, she also had been active in groups at Glen Meadows.

Mr. and Mrs. Reather are survived by three grandchildren and three great-grandchildren.

Mrs. Reather also is survived by a sister, E. Ruth Engle of the Baltimore area.

Granger E. Fields Jr.

Worked at Fort Meade

Granger E. Fields Jr., a retired preventive maintenance foreman at Fort Meade, died Wednesday at St. Agnes Hospital (( of complications after surgery.

The 65-year-old Baltimore native retired 11 years ago after working for the Army as a civilian employee for 27 years.

He served in the Army from 1945 until 1953.

Active in Grace African Methodist Episcopal Church, Mr. Fields was a trustee for more than 20 years, a Sunday school teacher, chairman of the Mother Mariah Fields Scholarship Fund -- which is named for an ancestor -- and a member of the Lay Organization and the Men's Club.

He also belonged to American Legion Post 263.

Services were to be conducted today at Grace A.M.E. Church, 67 1/2 Winters Lane in Catonsville.

Mr. Fields is survived by his wife, the former Yvonne Spady Whyte; three daughters, Joanne Thomas, Cathy Gaither and Ava Fields; a son, Dwayne Whyte; three sisters, Elsie W. Williams, Gertrude M. Smith and Leola V. Fields; two brothers, Theodore and Gary Fields; seven grandchildren; and one great-grandson. All are from Baltimore.

Copyright © 2021, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad