A local citizens band radio operator is giving some Manchester residents static.
That's what several residents of Sutton Court and Bachman Avenue told the Manchester Town Council at its regular meeting last night.
Melissa L. Glorioso, who lives on Bachman Avenue, said a neighbor with a CB radio tower was causing interference with her phone, television and computer.
She said the situation was becoming intolerable, and speaking with the radio operator hadn't resolved it.
She said she works at home for a construction company and has lost computer files, had phone calls interrupted and had to unplug her television. She said her boss is "fit to be tied."
Chris Damario, who lives nearby on Sutton Court, said he also had problems with his television, computer, phone and lights.
Both said they had phoned the Federal Communications Commission, which has jurisdiction over CBs, but were told that budget cuts had led to staffing reductions, and they weren't able to help.
The CB radio operator, Ken Fringer, who lives on Sutton Court, said he was operating his radio in compliance with FCC regulations.
"CB operators have as much right to talk on their radios as you have to watch TV," Mr. Fringer said.
Town Manager Terry Short said the town had no legal standing in the situation, and Mayor Earl A. J. "Tim" Warehime Jr. agreed.
Council member Geoffrey S. Black suggested the neighbors get together to work out a schedule allowing Mr. Fringer to use his radio at hours where it wouldn't disturb the others.
In other business, the council passed an ordinance requiring developers to provide water supplies for their developments, or pay a fee of $1,500 per home. That represents an increase of $300 over the old ordinance's fee.
The ordinance codifies temporary requirements that the council had previously passed twice for three-month periods, Mayor Warehime said.
Mr. Short said the town wants new developers to pay fees more closely resembling the true cost of supplying water.
After the business meeting, the council held a work session to begin work on the new town budget.
A preliminary budget should be submitted by March 15, Mr. Short said, and a public hearing on the preliminary plan is scheduled for March 24.