Sidney RapoportRetired accountantSidney Rapoport, a retired accountant...


Sidney Rapoport

Retired accountant

Sidney Rapoport, a retired accountant and Jewish refugee from the Russian Revolution who participated in the invasion of Normandy in World War II, died Jan. 5 at his home in Columbia after suffering from cancer and a heart ailment. He was 77.

Mr. Rapoport was an accountant who worked for 27 years for the Army and Air Force Exchange Service, first as an auditor in the service's European headquarters in Nuremberg, Germany, in the late 1940s.

In the early 1970s, he worked for the service in a field office in southern Indiana, where he retired after a heart attack 2 1/2 years later. In 1974, Mr. Rapoport moved to Columbia.

Born in Melitopol, Russia, two years before the 1917 Russian Revolution, Mr. Rapoport was 5 when his family fled to Latvia. There, his father was imprisoned "because he didn't have the right immigration papers," said his wife of 39 years, the former Anneliese M. Von Falkenhausen.

About a year after they left Russia, the family arrived in New York City, where they moved into the Brooklyn apartment of Mr. Rapoport's uncle.

"[Mr. Rapoport's parents] were very poor, poor people," Mrs. Rapoport said. "His father used to be a brewery manager in Russia, but when they got here, they had to start from scratch in a cold flat."

Mr. Rapoport's parents, Sophie and Morris Rapoport, ran a hand laundry and "did ironing and washing just to get three children through college," Mrs. Rapoport said.

Immediately after Mr. Rapoport finished studying to be an accountant at City College of New York, he was drafted into the U.S. Army.

Commissioned as a lieutenant, Mr. Rapoport saw his first combat during the Normandy invasion. He was awarded the Bronze Star for single-handedly capturing enemy soldiers in Germany. After the war, he commanded a prisoner-of-war camp for a short time before returning to the United States.

Shortly after his return to New York, he applied for a job with the exchange service and returned to Germany.

During his retirement, he was an avid golfer and served for many years as treasurer of the Maryland Interclub Senior Golf Association.

A memorial service for Mr. Rapoport, who had lived in Columbia's Village of Wilde Lake for 18 years, will take place at 1 p.m. today at Leroy & Russell Witzke Funeral Homes, 5555 Twin Knolls Road, Columbia.

In addition to his wife, he is survived by two sons, Robert M. Rapoport, of Denton, Texas, and Peter A. Rapoport of Lexington, Ky.; and two sisters, Estelle Cande, of Brooklyn, N.Y., and Muriel Kurlansik, of Pembroke Pines, Fla.

The family suggested memorial contributions could be made to Hospice Services of Howard County Inc., 5537 Twin Knolls Road, Suite 433, Columbia 21045.

Dorothy P. Brach

'Mother' at Keough High

Dorothy Paulus Brach, whose service at the former Archbishop Keough High School in Baltimore led to her being cited as "Mother for All the Girls" there, died Friday of a heart

attack at her home in Catonsville. She was 77.

In 1964, Mrs. Brach helped organize the opening of the then-Archbishop Keough girls high school and served as an administrative assistant until the Roman Catholic girls school merged with Seton High School in 1988 to become Seton-Keough High School.

"She did more than just work there. She acted like their mother, and she was there for 24 years," said Mrs. Brach's brother, J. Donald Paulus of Timonium. For the concern she showed the students, the Keough administration proclaimed her "Mother for All the Girls."

She was born in her parents' Hoffman Street rowhouse in East Baltimore and was a 1931 graduate of the commercial school at St. Catherine of Sienna Church.

Mrs. Brach began her secretarial career during the Great Depression at the former Baltimore Towel Supply Co. She become office manager of the company's Baby Valet diaper service. There, she met her husband, Philip Brach, a sales representative.

As a young woman, she was active in church and was president of the Archbishop Curley veterans unit of the Catholic Student Mission Crusade. During World War II, Mrs. Brach received a citation for her volunteer work with the Army Air Corps Auxiliary at the Air Defense Center in Baltimore.

Mr. Brach became ill in the early 1960s, requiring Mrs. Brach to seek work at Keough High School. He died in 1973.

In retirement, Mrs. Brach was an avid gardener and bird-watcher. She also loved music and played the piano.

A Mass of Christian burial for Mrs. Brach, a Catonsville resident since 1958, will be conducted at 10 a.m. Tuesday at St. Mark's Catholic Church, Melvin Avenue and Frederick Road, Catonsville.

Besides her brother, Mrs. Brach is survived by her two daughters, Alice DiLauri of Towson and Paula Brown, of Baltimore's Lauraville neighborhood; her son, Philip Brach Jr. of Catonsville; and a sister, G. Lorraine Paulus of Catonsville.

Crispus Bosworth

Air Force retiree

Crispus A. Bosworth, a retired Air Force staff sergeant who later worked as a home-improvement regulator and a waiter, died Wednesday of a heart attack in his car in downtown Baltimore. He was 60.

Services for Mr. Bosworth, a Baltimore native and resident for the last 10 years, will be held at 6:30 p.m. tomorrow at Pentecost Baptist Church, 1615 Poplar Grove St.

Mr. Bosworth began his military career in 1951. He spent much of his time doing administrative work while stationed in Germany. He also served in Japan and on several Air Force bases in the United States.

After his retirement in 1971, he worked as a state government home-improvement commissioner, a job he held for more than 10 years. During that time, he also worked as a head-waiter at the downtown Holiday Inn.

He is survived by his wife, the former Maxine Miles; eight sons, Gregory, Crispus Jr., Reginald, Kevin, Pierre, Philip, David, and Richard Bosworth, all of Baltimore; four daughters, Jacqueline, Michelle, and Lisa Bosworth and Valencia Bosworth-Garner, all of Baltimore. He also is survived by his former wife, Emma Bosworth, also of Baltimore.

Doris A. Kimball

Elkton resident

Doris A. Kimball, 64, who moved from Catonsville to Elkton nearly 20 years ago, died Thursday of cancer at St. Joseph Hospital.

The former Doris A. Sigrist was born in Baltimore and was a graduate of Mount St. Agnes High School and the Strayer Business College.

Her husband, James E. Kimball, is a retired agent of the U.S. Department of Labor.

A Mass of Christian burial for Mrs. Kimball will be offered at 10 a.m. tomorrow at the Holy Family Roman Catholic Church, 9535 Liberty Road in Randallstown.

In addition to her husband, survivors include two daughters, Nancy A. Dabkowski of Catonsville and Mary Rebecca Murray of North East; a son, Edward F. Kimball of Elkton; two sisters, Mary Frances Coles of Spring, Texas, and Sister Helen Sigrist, R.S.M., of Baltimore; and three granddaughters.

Ralph Marcus Moon

Merchant seaman

Ralph Marcus Moon, a retired merchant seaman and a former resident of Baltimore, died Jan. 16 after a heart attack at his home in Pagosa Springs, Colo.

Mr. Moon, 76, moved to Colorado from Baltimore about five years ago.

He lived in Baltimore for about 20 years and earlier shipped out of the port of Baltimore many times.

He retired in the late '70s as an able seaman after serving aboard merchant ships for 30 years.

He was a native of the Crazy Mountains area of Montana, and served in the Army in the Pacific during World War II.

Surviving are a daughter, LaDonna Rae-Fisher of San Francisco; three granddaughters; and three great-grandchildren.

A memorial service for Mr. Moon was to be conducted at 1 p.m. today at the American Legion hall in Pagosa Springs.

Copyright © 2019, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad