Dwight A. Dodge Sr.
Dwight A. Dodge Sr., a retired chemical engineer and Army veteran who was active in church work, died Saturday at the Greater Baltimore Medical Center after a stroke and heart attack in November.
After service in World War II, Mr. Dodge went to work as a paper and ink chemist for the U.S. Printing and Lithograph Co. division of Diamond International Corp. He retired in 1977.
During the war, he reached the rank of lieutenant colonel in the Army Chemical Corps after serving as commander of a chemical unit in Australia and New Zealand and then as chemical officer for the 308th Bombardment Wing of the 5th Air Force, which secured Clark Field and another airstrip after landing in the Philippines.
His decorations included a Presidential Citation and many service ribbons.
At the Arnolia church and earlier at the Boundary United Methodist Church, Mr. Dodge was financial secretary and TC Sunday school teacher. At Boundary, he had also been a youth leader for many years.
Born in Terra Alta, W.Va., he earned a chemical engineering degree at West Virginia University in 1934 and then worked for several research laboratories in New York City before World War II.
Services for Mr. Dodge, who was 80 and lived in Baynesville, were scheduled for 10 a.m. today at the Arnolia United Methodist Church, 1776 E. Joppa Road.
Mr. Dodge is survived by his wife of 50 years, the former Evelyn Brooks; a son, Dwight A. Dodge II of Pasadena; a daughter, Jane Dodge Armacost of Upperco; a brother, Everett L. Dodge of Chicago; a sister Sue Boswell of Hyattsville; three grandchildren; and a great-grandson.
Anthony J. Petti
'Tony the Barber'
Anthony J. "Tony the Barber" Petti died Sunday of heart failure at his Overlea home. He was 81.
Since he was 14, Mr. Petti was a barber who ran shops for about 40 years in Baltimore and later in Rosedale.
His first shop, at Luzerne Avenue and Preston Street, was opened in the late 1940s and closed in the late 50s. His second, Tony's Barber Shop on Kenwood Avenue, was in business for 30 years beginning in 1957. After closing his second shop, Mr. Petti continued to cut hair as a hobby until his death.
During World War II, Mr. Petti, a native of Little Italy, served as a naval petty officer -- cutting hair in the Atlantic.
He was married for 52 years to the former Helen M. Zakroczynski. She died in 1991.
A Mass of Christian burial will be offered at 9:30 a.m. tomorrow at St. Michael the Archangel Roman Catholic Church, Belair Road and Willow Avenue, in Overlea.
He is survived by two children, Ralph J. Petti of Perryville and Patricia L. Betz of Fullerton; a nephew he reared as a son, Ralph A. Patinella of Monkton; six sisters, Mary Picciano and Elizabeth Abruzzese, both of Philadelphia, Anna Gabriel of North Bergen, N.J., and Stella Zelkoski, Rose Zaraka and Catherine Cherigo, all of Baltimore; seven grandchildren; and three great-grandchildren. L. Errol Taylor, retired vice principal and head of the industrial arts department at the Carver Vocational-Technical Senior High School, died Thursday at St. Joseph Hospital of a stroke after heart surgery.
Mr. Taylor, who was 69 and lived on Grantley Road, retired from Carver in 1982. He had begun his career as a city educator 33 years earlier as a mathematics and mechanical drawing teacher.
A native of Baltimore, he was a 1941 graduate of Douglass High School and a 1949 graduate of the Hampton Institute, where he earned a certificate in carpentry and a degree in architecture. He also earned a master's degree in educational administration at Loyola College and did graduate work at New York University.
Active at St. Katherine since serving as an altar boy there, he was church treasurer from 1957 until 1988, when he became senior warden. He was also a member of St. Anthony's Guild.
Though he never practiced architecture professionally, he designed the undercroft at St. Katherine and did plans and designs for other churches and for friends.
During World War II, he served in the Army Corps of Engineers in the South Pacific, reaching the rank of staff sergeant.
A member of the Olympic Social Club at Hampton, he was also a charter member of the Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity at the university. He also belonged to several other social clubs.
A Mass of Christian burial will be offered at 11:30 a.m. tomorrow at the Episcopal Church of St. Katherine of Alexandria, 2001 Division St.
Mr. Taylor is survived by his wife of 41 years, the former Mildred McGlotten; a son, L. Errol Taylor Jr. of Baltimore; a brother and sister-in-law, Cyril and Marie Taylor of Ashburn, Va., his stepmother, Nettie Taylor of Baltimore; a stepsister, Miriam Brown of Baltimore; a daughter-in-law, Lynne Taylor of Bowie; and two grandchildren. Katherine Schmidt Smith, a vice president of the Schmidt Baking Co., which was started by her grandparents, died Friday at the Greater Baltimore Medical Center after a blood vessel burst. She was 84.
Associated with the bakery for much of her life, she was also active in the Three Arts Club of Homeland, the Woman's Club of Roland Park, the auxiliary of St. Elizabeth's School and Habilitation Center and the Chimes Inc. The former Katherine Schmidt was born in Baltimore and a graduate of the Girls' Latin School and Hollins College in Virginia, where she earned a degree in mathematics in 1932. She attended the 60th reunion of her class last spring.
Fond of golf and bowling, she was a member of the Baltimore Country Club and the Sherwood Forest Club. She lived on St. Dunstans Road.
She was married in 1934 to Bernard Roddy Smith, who died in 1966.
Surviving are two daughters, Susan Smith House of Ruxton and Mary Joan Smith of Baltimore; a son, C. Peter Smith of Towson; seven grandchildren; and a great-grandson.
Services were scheduled for 11 a.m. today at St. David's Episcopal Church, 4700 Roland Ave.
Margaret Wagner, who worked as a receptionist and X-ray technician in several doctors' offices before her retirement 15 years ago, died Sunday at Franklin Square Hospital of a perforated ulcer. She was 87.
The former Margaret Danz was a native of Baltimore and a 1923 graduate of Eastern High School.
Mrs. Wagner moved 10 years ago from Hamilton to Perry Hall, where she was a member of St. Michael's Lutheran Church. She was a former member of St. John's Lutheran Church in Parkville, and in 1940s taught a Bible class for teens and young adults at Faith Lutheran Church, North Avenue and Wolfe Street.
She was fond of growing roses in her garden.
Services will be conducted at 11 a.m. tomorrow at the Schimunek Funeral Home at 9705 Belair Road in Perry Hall.
Her husband, John M. Wagner, died in 1978.
She is survived by a son, Louis J. Wagner of Perry Hall; and two granddaughters.
Anna M. Keene
Anna M. Keene, a devoted homemaker, died of pneumonia Nov. 27 at the Eden Home Ministries Center in New Braunfels, Texas. She was 92.
Born in Baltimore, she attended city schools.
Her husband of 35 years, George Keene, died in 1958.
In 1974, she moved to Canyon Lake, Texas, to be with her son, Thomas Keene Sr. She became a member of St. Andrew Lutheran Church in Canyon Lake.
Services were held Nov. 28 in Canyon Lake.
Surviving, in addition to her son in Texas, are two other sons, George Keene Jr. of Indianapolis and William Keene of Wetumpka, Ala.; two daughters, Thelma Kerwin and Dorothy Huffman of Baltimore; 14 grandchildren; and 23 great-grandchildren.
The family suggested donations to Eden Home Ministries, 631 Lakeview Blvd., New Braunfels, Texas 78130.
Charles A. Fraley
Gittings Street fixture
Mr. Fraley, who still lived in the house in which he was born 73 years ago and in which he reared five children, retired in 1984 from his longtime job with a barrel manufacturer.
He was born March 16, 1919, in the front bedroom of the Gittings Street house and attended St. Mary's Star of the Sea School. He worked as a young man for Domino Sugar and Bethlehem Steel Corp.
He went to work in the early 1940s for the Virginia Barrel Co., which is now the Greif Brothers Corp. When the company moved from South Baltimore to Sparrows Point, Mr. Fraley went with it -- but always took the long way driving there.
A daughter, Mary C. Green, said Mr. Fraley "always preferred walking to driving, and he didn't like tunnels, so he always took the long way around, never the [Harbor] Tunnel."
After his retirement, Mr. Fraley continued to live in South Baltimore. "You could set your clock by his coming and going at night," said Mrs. Green. "He'd go to Leone's for three or four beers at precisely 9 o'clock Sunday through Thursday and come home at precisely 11. On Friday and Saturday he went at 10 and came home at 12 on the dot."
An enthusiastic sportsman, Mr. Fraley was a fisherman and loved baseball.
Services will be held at 10 a.m. tomorrow at the McCully Funeral Home, 130 E. Fort Ave.
Mr. Fraley is survived by his wife of 52 years, the former Marian M. Rites; a son, John Fraley of Baltimore; four daughters, Charlene Nielsen of Easley, S.C., and Patricia Schuman, Alicia A. Connelly and Mrs. Green, all of Pasadena; 10 grandchildren; and six great-grandchildren.
David B. Snyder
David B. Snyder, a Baltimore-area businessman and aviator who was formerly Maryland's director of aeronautics, died Oct. 12 of heart failure at his home in Catonsville. He was 79.
Born in Baltimore, Mr. Snyder earned his bachelor's degree in aeronautical engineering at the University of Wisconsin at Madison and a master's degree in business administration at the Johns Hopkins University.
As a teen-ager, Mr. Snyder toured the country, barnstorming in air shows. He owned and operated a flying service for several years before selling the business.
He was a senior engineering aviation inspector for the Civil Aeronautics Administration -- now the Federal Aviation Administration -- for about 10 years.
After leaving the federal government, he returned to Baltimore and became the administrator of the North Charles General Hospital for 16 years. He retired from the hospital position in 1965 and established an investment business.
In 1968, he was named director of aeronautics by the old State Aviation Commission. While director, he helped establish Maryland's emergency medical helicopter service and helped develop local and regional airports. He headed the commission for five years before returning to his investment businesses.
Mr. Snyder was a member of the Boumi Temple Flying Patrol and OX-5 Aviation Pioneers, and other aviation and Masonic organizations. He was also a knowledgeable outdoorsman and avid sport fisherman.
Services were Oct. 15.
He is survived by his wife of 51 years, Elizabeth Marshall Snyder; a son, Barry Snyder; and a daughter, Patricia Snyder. All are of Catonsville. Gilbert A. Navy, a retired shipping executive, died Nov. 27 of heart failure at his home in Timonium. He was 74.
Born in Baltimore, Mr. Navy worked for the Lavino Shipping Co. for 36 years until his retirement in 1984 as the company's vice president. At the time of his death, he was also president of the Maryland Marine Club.
He was an avid golfer who worked part time as a starter at Longview Golf Course in Timonium after his retirement. He played golf regularly during his eight years of retirement and worked at Longview for four years.
Mr. Navy was also remembered by his family for having had a joke for every occasion.
Services were held Nov. 29.
He is survived by his wife of 49 years, the former Agnes Morrison; three daughters, Linda Blum of Lafayette, La., Susan Edwards of Whiteford and Janet Schaller of Timonium; a son, David Navy of Strongsville, Ohio; a half-brother, Walter E. Sibiski of Lutherville; and six grandchildren.