Norman Ross FosterFirst Maryland officerNorman Ross Foster,...


Norman Ross Foster

First Maryland officer

Norman Ross Foster, a retired first senior vice president of First Maryland Bancorp, died Christmas Eve of emphysema at his Oxford home. He was 66.

Born in Montreal, he moved to Baltimore with his family in 1933 and graduated from Baltimore Polytechnic Institute in 1944.

He served in the Army Air Forces until 1945 and then attended the University of Maryland in College Park, receiving a bachelor of science in business and financial management in 1949.

He began his business career with the Commercial Credit Corp. in 1950, rising to the position of district representative seven years later. He then became associated with First National Bank of Maryland as head of the retail credit department.

At First National, positions he held included director of Service Center Inc., a bank card processing company; director of Maryland Switch, a funds transfer system; and director of First Manufacturing House Credit Corp., a mobile home finance company.

In December 1984, Mr. Foster retired as first senior vice president of First Maryland Bancorp, senior vice president of First National Bank and executive vice president of First Omni Bank in Millsboro, Del. First Maryland is the holding company for First National and First Omni.

Mr. Foster lived in Arnold for 25 years before moving to Oxford in 1982.

He was a member of the Oxford United Methodist Church and of the St. Andrew's Society of the Eastern Shore.

Services for Mr. Foster were conducted yesterday at the Oxford United Methodist Church.

He is survived by his wife of 44 years, the former Perry Sultan; a daughter, Laurie Long of Annapolis; a son, Craig C. Foster of Dublin, Harford County; and five grandchildren.

The family suggests memorial contributions to the Talbot Hospice Foundation, 100 S. Hanson St., Easton, Md. 21601.

Charles E. Young

BG&E; station operator

Charles Edward Young, a retired chief station operator for the Baltimore Gas and Electric Co., died Nov. 12 of bone cancer at the Nathan Adelson Hospice in Las Vegas. He was 83.

The native Baltimorean graduated from Polytechnic Institute and later earned a bachelor's degree in electrical engineering from the Johns Hopkins University in 1931.

While at Hopkins, he graduated from the ROTC program with special honors and joined the Alpha Mu Tau fraternity.

He began working for BG&E; in 1936 and was promoted to chief station operator of electric system operations in 1969. He retired in 1974.

He taught electrical engineering at Hopkins' McCoy College from 1947 to 1954.

He was a past president of the Lions Club of Pikesville and held memberships in the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers Inc., the Masons and the Hopkins Club.

In 1988, he moved to Las Vegas to be with his son.

Services for Mr. Young were held on Nov. 16 at the Lemmon-Mitchell-Wiedefield Funeral Home in Timonium and on Nov. 21 at Good Samaritan Lutheran Church in Las Vegas.

He is survived by his son, Carl E. Young of Las Vegas; two stepsons, David D. Holland of Westminster and Geoffrey D. Holland of North Carolina; four grandchildren; and three great-grandsons.

The family suggests memorial contributions to the Nathan Adelson Hospice, 4141 S. Swenson St., Las Vegas, Nev. 89119.

Clifton P. Hensler

Fingerprint expert

Clifton P. Hensler, a fingerprint expert who was also a police detective and a correctional officer, died Sunday at the Charlestown Care Center of pneumonia and heart failure.

He was 90 and had lived in the Charlestown Retirement Community for about three years.

After working as an accountant in the freight department of a Chesapeake Bay steamship line, he joined the Baltimore police force in 1932 and was assigned for several years to the Northwest Annex, walking a post and then patrolling in a police car.

Then he was assigned to the detectives division, where he became an expert on fingerprints.

In 1955, he retired as a detective sergeant and went to work at the Maryland House of Correction in Jessup, where he handled fingerprinting of the prisoners.

He retired from the correctional system in 1972 as a lieutenant and classification officer.

During his retirement, he was often visited by former prisoners he had befriended. He also continued his education, which had been interrupted before he had been able to graduate from the Baltimore Polytechnic Institute, and graduated from Catonsville Community College, where he studied criminal justice and business administration.

He was a former master of the Joppa Lodge of the Masons.

Services for Mr. Hensler were to be conducted at 11 a.m. today at the Sterling-Ashton Funeral Home, 736 Edmondson Ave. in Catonsville.

He is survived by two sons, Clifton P. Hensler Jr. and Neil W. Hensler; a daughter, Myra Susan Heinz; and three grandchildren. All are of Catonsville.

Edward Heise

Insurance firm manager

Edward Heise, who headed local offices for the Monumental Life Insurance Co. before his retirement in 1983, died Sunday of cancer at a hospital in Louisville, Ky.

He was 74 and had moved from Arbutus to Clarksville, Ind., after he retired.

He retired as manager of the Baltimore-West office of Monumental, which has its headquarters in Baltimore. He had also served from 1962 until 1968 as manager of the firm's office in Jeffersonville, Ind., which, like Clarksville, is near Louisville.

With Monumental since 1951, he had earlier worked in the metallurgy department at the Sparrows Point mills of the Bethlehem Steel Corp.

The Baltimore native was a graduate of the Baltimore Polytechnic Institute and a member of the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks in the Baltimore area and of the Loyal Order of Moose in Baltimore and Louisville.

Services for Mr. Heise were to be conducted at 11 a.m. today at the Scott Funeral Home in Jeffersonville.

He is survived by his wife, the former Gloria Wireman; a son, Edward Heise Jr. of Baltimore; three daughters, Alma Wyatt and Wilma Coleman, both of Jeffersonville, and Gloria L. Heise of Baltimore; two brothers, Henry and Irvin Heise, both of Baltimore; three sisters, Anna Stone and Cecilia Gray, both of Baltimore, and Marie Hess of Chula Vista, Calif.; and four grandchildren.

Winston Callan

Airline pilot

Winston "Fritz" Callan, a retired airline pilot, died Oct. 29 of diabetes at the Sewickley Valley Hospital near Pittsburgh. He was 63.

The Baltimore native graduated from Patterson Park High School in 1946 and earned a bachelor of arts in aeronautics at what is now Towson State University.

He started flying in 1945 at the old Curtiss Wright Airport in Baltimore County.

His airline career began with Lake Central Airlines, which in a series of mergers and buy-outs was transformed into what now is part of USAir. After 25 years with the company, he retired in 1986.

Mr. Callan joined the Maryland National Guard in 1948 and attained the rank of second lieutenant. He transferred to the Pennsylvania Guard when he moved to Pittsburgh in the 1950s due to a job reassignment. In 1979, he retired as a major in the National Guard.

He enjoyed hunting deer, flying and collecting rifles.

Services for Mr. Callan were held on Nov. 1 at the Duda Ruck Funeral Home in Dundalk.

He is survived by his wife of 43 years, the former Nora B. Hufner; a son, Winston E. Callan of Pittsburgh; two daughters, Deborah K. Callan of Pittsburgh and Cecilia M. Callan of Baltimore; and his mother, Katherine Callan, and a sister, Catherine Heger, both of Philadelphia.

The family suggested memorial contributions to the House of Ruth.

Tanya Yvette Henry


Data processor

Tanya Yvette Henry, who worked for the Monumental Life Insurance Co., died Christmas Day of viral meningitis at the University of Maryland Medical Center.

She was 31 and lived on Poplar Grove Street.

She did data processing work for several firms and joined Monumental nearly three years ago.

Born in Baltimore, she was a graduate of Northwestern High School and studied at the Baltimore City Community College.

She was a member of the Hospitality Guild at the Pentecost Baptist Church, where she had earlier been active in the Youth Department and where her mother and a brother are ministers.

Services for Miss Henry were to be conducted at 11:30 a.m. today at the Whitestone Baptist Church, 3005 Baker St.

She is survived by her parents, Eddie T. Henry and the Rev. Vivian Ellen Henry; three sisters, Vivian Ellen Brown and Vanessa and Corliss Henry; and two brothers, the Rev. Timothy Henry and Eddie Henry Sr.. All are of Baltimore.

David A. Stempor


David Aaron Stempor, a retired carpenter, died Saturday of cancer at his home in Glen Rock, Pa.

He was 51 and had moved from Dundalk to Glen Rock nearly a year ago.

The Baltimore native was a self-employed carpenter who did repair work and small construction jobs.

A daughter, Victoria Lynn Lloyd of Oliver Beach, described him as "a kindhearted, gentle man."

Graveside services for Mr. Stempor were conducted Tuesday at the Zion Lutheran Church cemetery in Glen Rock.

He is also survived by another daughter, Shelly Dawn Reeves of Glen Rock; a son, David Aaron Stempor Jr. of Dundalk; and three grandchildren.

Copyright © 2020, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad