Bodyguard charged with 2 murder counts

The bodyguard for a supposed drug dealer faces two counts of murder stemming from a bizarre incident Monday night in which he attempted to stop a man from robbing his boss in West Baltimore but ended up shooting both men in the head, police said.

Craig Eugene Young, 23, of the 900 block of Marlau Drive was arrested shortly after he checked himself into a hospital with a bullet wound he suffered during the fracas, police said.


One of the victims, Joseph Milligan, 28, of the 700 block of Denison St., died at 5:54 p.m. yesterday at the Maryland Shock Trauma Center.

The other man -- Stanford Bradford Ford, 20, of the 2100 block of Cliftmont Ave. -- died at the scene Monday night.


The death of Mr. Milligan, along with the shooting death about 9:20 p.m. last night of an unidentified man, whose body was found in the 2300 block of E. Biddle St., brings the city's record-setting homicide toll to 335. The previous record was 330 in 1972.

Monday's incident occurred about 11:35 p.m. in a courtyard in the rear of a low-rise apartment building in the 900 block of W. Saratoga St., police said.

Mr. Ford was standing in the courtyard with Mr. Young, whom police described as Mr. Ford's "bodyguard."

Mr. Young told police detectives during an interview that Mr. Milligan approached Mr. Ford and attempted to rob him, homicide Detective Oscar Requer said.

Mr. Young told detectives that when he went to Mr. Ford's aid, Mr. Milligan shot him in the right upper leg, Detective Requer said.

Mr. Young said he fired back, Detective Requer said. In the blaze of gunfire, both Mr. Ford and Mr. Milligan were shot in the head.

Detective Requer said the bullet that killed Mr. Ford appears to have come from the gun of his own bodyguard.

Mr. Young was not on the scene when police arrived but was located by detectives three hours later when he checked himself into Union Memorial Hospital with a bullet wound.


He was treated for the wound, which police said was minor, and released.

Mr. Young was charged Tuesday with first-degree murder in Mr. Ford's death and police said they now expect to charge him with an additional count in Mr. Milligan's death. He also faces two counts of using a handgun in the commission of a felony.

Mr. Young was being held without bail last night at the Baltimore City Detention Center.