Anna W. Carton
Anna W. Carton, a lawyer-activist who helped found one of the first law firms for female lawyers in Baltimore, died yesterday of natural causes at Baltimore County General Hospital.
Mrs. Carton, 90, was born in Ukraine, moved to the United States in 1904 and settled in North Dakota.
She and her husband, Nathan Carton, attended a school for chiropractors in Iowa before they both came to Baltimore.
She graduated from the University of Baltimore School of Law in 1933 with the distinction of being the first mother in the history of Maryland to graduate from law school. Her son, Marvin, was then 6 years old.
In 1939, she became the president of the Maryland Women's Bar Association. In that office, she helped persuade the General Assembly to change the jury system to include women and minorities on juries.
The next year, she and Rose Zetzer and Jenette Siegal founded the first law firm for female attorneys in Baltimore and Maryland.
In 1945, Mrs. Carton ran unsuccessfully for a seat in the House of Delegates under the campaign slogan, "It takes a woman to clean out the House."
Mrs. Carton retired from the practice of law in 1964 and, with her husband, embarked on a wide range of merchandising activities in the Baltimore area. They owned a series of stores and became professional buyers.
In the 1980s, Mrs. Carton was a volunteer arbitrator in the consumer affairs division of the state attorney general's office.
She was a member of several Jewish women's organizations, including the National Council of Jewish Women and the Baltimore chapter of Hadassah.
She loved reading and was a library volunteer. She was also an avid bridge player.
Services for Mrs. Carton were to be held at 1 p.m. today at Sol Levinson & Bros. Inc., 6010 Reisterstown Road.
Mr. Carton died in 1980.
She is survived by a son, Marvin Carton of Potomac; two brothers, Abraham and William Weiss, both of Palm Beach, Fla.; a sister, Rose Honkosky of Baltimore; and three grandchildren.
The family is working to establish the Anna W. Carton Scholarship at the University of Baltimore.
David A. Amos Jr.
David Arthur Amos Jr., a retired telephone company supervisor, died of cancer Saturday at the Stella Maris Hospice.
Mr. Amos, who was 72, was born in Loch Raven Village and was a 1939 graduate of the Baltimore Polytechnic Institute, where he was on the swimming team and a member of Delta Sigma Nu fraternity.
After graduation, he worked for the Chesapeake & Telephone Co. before he enlisted in the Naval Reserve in 1940 and was called to active duty in the Panama Canal Zone that same year. He was later reassigned to the amphibious forces and served in the Pacific theater until the end of World War II.
After the war, Mr. Amos returned to C&P.; He also enrolled in the McCoy College of the Johns Hopkins University, receiving a degree in business administration in 1954. He earned a master's degree in liberal arts from Hopkins in 1968.
He was a member of the Delta Sigma Pi fraternity.
In the early 1950s, he coached a Little League team for ages 9 to 11 under the auspices of the Loch Raven Recreation Council. He was active in the Safety Services of the American Red Cross, becoming certified as a water safety instructor and a small craft instructor. He taught adult swimming classes for the Red Cross and sailing at Chesterwood Park for the Dundalk Recreation Council.
During his 38 years with C&P;, where he was known as "Pete," he served in various capacities in the central office, in long distance and in the business office. He retired in 1977 as a staff associate in the commercial engineering department.
He was a life member of the Telephone Pioneers of America.
Services for Mr. Amos were to be held at 1 p.m. today at the Johnson Funeral Home on Loch Raven Boulevard.
He is survived by his wife of 44 years, Jean Amos; two daughters, Holly Zaharis of Slidell, La., and Stephanie Darnell of Delta, Pa.; a sister, Mabel V. Wiesner of Towson; and two granddaughters.
The family suggests memorial contributions to the American Cancer Society or the Stella Maris Hospice.
Avon T. Grace
Avon T. Grace, a direct-care worker for the Maryland Shock Trauma Center and later the Springfield Hospital Center in Sykesville, died Dec. 25 of kidney failure at his Baltimore home. He was 31.
Mr. Grace helped treat trauma victims at Shock Trauma from 1980 to 1985, also working with patients at Springfield starting in 1983 and moving over to Springfield after 1985.
He had attended Franklin Senior High School for two years and received his equivalency diploma from the Community College of Baltimore in 1979. Mr. Grace later attended Morgan State University for two years.
He was a lifelong member of Fountain Baptist Church at Monument Street and Central Avenue in Baltimore.
In his leisure, he enjoyed progressive jazz and easy-listening music.
Services are scheduled for 11:30 a.m. tomorrow at the March Funeral Home, 1101 E. North Ave., Baltimore. Viewing is , from 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. today.
Mr. Grace is survived by his mother, Serina Tart of Baltimore; four sisters, Kimberly Ann Grace, Jacqueline Sample, Cynthia D. Cotton and Montess Grace, all of Baltimore; two brothers, Floyd D. Grace Jr. and Anthony Grace, both of Baltimore; his grandfather, Vander Jett of Baltimore; his stepmother, Shirley Grace of Baltimore; and several nieces and nephews. John H. Engel, 86, who owned Engel's Hardware on Harford Road through the Great Depression and World War II, died Dec. 25 of heart disease at Long Green Nursing Home in Baltimore.
After closing his hardware store in 1946, the Baltimore native worked in sales for about 12 years for the Galloway-James Co., a hardware wholesaler on Pratt Street.
Until he retired in 1970, he was an accounts executive with the William G. Scarlett Seed Co., near Little Italy. Mr. Engel was president of the Maryland Retail Hardware Association and was also active in the Lions Club.
Services were scheduled for 10:30 a.m. today at Second Presbyterian Church, 4200 St. Paul St., Baltimore, where Mr. Engel was a deacon and usher for 50 years.
He is survived by his wife of 57 years, the former Elizabeth Nicholson; a daughter, Lynda Engel Meade of Woodbrook Village; two granddaughters, Julia M. Matthews of Bristol, Conn., and Lindsey N. Meade of Woodbrook Village; and a brother, Leonard O. Engel of Glen Arm.
The family has suggested memorial contributions may be made to either Second Presbyterian Church or Associated Catholic Charities, 19 W. Franklin St., Baltimore 21201.
Leonard R. Jones
Military, postal retiree
Leonard Reginald Jones, who was stationed in Japan, Germany, France, Italy and the United States during a 20-year career in the Air Force, died Dec. 24 of leukemia at Francis Scott Key Medical Center.
Mr. Jones, 59, served in supply in the Air Force until he retired in 1971 with the rank of technical sergeant. He later worked for the U.S. Postal Service in Baltimore until he retired in 1986.
Mr. Jones enjoyed fresh and salt-water fishing, with the Loch Raven Dam being his favorite fishing hole.
Services were scheduled for noon todayat Enon Baptist Church, Edmondson Avenue and Schroeder Street, Baltimore.
Mr. Jones is survived by his wife of 34 years, Annette Vernice Jones; a daughter, Lisa Michelle Jones of Baltimore; a stepdaughter, Debra Perkins of Temple Hills; two sons, Ronald Keith Jones of Columbia and Brian Anthony Jones of Baltimore; two brothers, Ernest Jones of Richmond, Va., and William Jones of Baltimore; a sister, Maggie Jones of Baltimore; his mother, Susie Crawley of Baltimore; and four grandchildren.