Would-be robber hands note to bank teller, runs

A reluctant, would-be robber handed a Signet Bank teller a note demanding money, but then fled the bank before getting any cash, county police said.


The man entered the bank in the 8600 block of Baltimore-Washington Boulevard about 9:15 a.m. and asked the teller about opening an account, police said.

The man handed the teller a note, asking her to throw it away, police said. But the teller looked at the paper and saw that it was a note announcing a robbery.


The suspect then ran, police said. He did not show a weapon.

The suspect is described as a white man, about 35, 5 feet 7 inches tall, with brown hair and a mole on his right cheek, police said. He was wearing a plaid hunting jacket, blue jeans, baseball cap and yellow tinted sunglasses.

Gas station plan approved on U.S. 1

The county Planning Board yesterday approved a site development plan for a Crown gasoline station on U.S. 1 north of Guilford Road.

The decision allows Crown Central Petroleum Corp. to obtain building permits for gas pumps and a 1,200-square-foot convenience store on .63 acres zoned for heavy manufacturing.

A gasoline station is allowed on what is known as the Wechsler Property, on the east side of U.S. 1, by a special exception granted by the county Board of Appeals in March.


* North Laurel: 9500 Baltimore-Washington Blvd.: A $100 radio was stolen from a Volkswagen Rabbit parked at Sudden Impact Two Inc. on Saturday.


9800 block Baltimore-Washington Blvd.: Clothing, no value given, was stolen from the Graphics Store on Sunday.

9800 block Baltimore-Washington Blvd.: Two Laurel men have been charged with breaking into rooms at the Pin Del Motel on Friday afternoon. Thomas Edward Ott, 40, and Timothy Allen Kurtz, 27, were charged with burglary for allegedly kicking in windows of several rooms and entering them, police said. Nothing was reported stolen from the rooms.

* Scaggsville: 8100 block Crest Road: Three teen-agers -- one from Laurel and two from Scaggsville -- were arrested after police said they were vandalizing a house under construction on Sunday. The juveniles, 14 and 15 years old, entered the house through an unlocked door, set caulking compound on fire and ransacked the structure, police said. Police withheld the names of the juveniles.