Around the house
* Keep unlacquered brass shiny. A weekly wipe with a soft cloth that has been dipped in a small amount of liquid ammonia will help keep fixtures gleaming.
* Maintain washing machine. Clean lint filters regularly; use the correct amount of detergent; do not overload; cleaning solvents should not be used in washer.
* Wipe stainless-steel sink with a damp cloth and dry with a soft cloth after each use. Evaporated water can leave mineral deposits that dull the finish.
* Oil kitchen appliances with moving parts. Use non-stick vegetable spray to keep tools running smoothly.
* To retain the shape of a freshly laundered sweater, spread flat over a child's safety gate that has been stretched across the bathtub.
* Season new non-stick pans before using. Wash in soapy water, rinse and dry. Wipe interior with unsalted melted shortening or oil before cooking on top of stove.
In the garden
* Prune evergreen shrubs. The cooler temperatures will not promote new growth and there will be no danger of burn. Make sure lower part of shrub is wider than the top to allow sunlight to reach the bush.