R. M. Robertson Jr.Deputy sheriffRobert Murray Robertson...

R. M. Robertson Jr.

Deputy sheriff


Robert Murray Robertson Jr., a Baltimore County deputy sheriff who helped found the department's K-9 section, died Wednesday from injuries received in a motorcycle accident in Baltimore Oct. 15.

Services for Mr. Robertson, who was 35 and lived on Forge Road in White Marsh, will be held at 11 a.m. tomorrow at Schimunek's Funeral Home, 9705 Belair Road, in Perry Hall.


Mr. Robertson died at the Maryland Shock Trauma Center, where he was taken after he was thrown from his motorcycle into an oncoming car after colliding with another motorcycle in East Baltimore. He suffered multiple injuries.

Sheriff Norman M. Pepersack Jr. yesterday praised Mr. Robertson for his expertise and a friendly, outgoing demeanor that made him an asset to the department.

"If I could put it in one word, it would be 'exceptional,' " Sheriff Pepersack said.

Baltimore County Sheriffs Lodge 25 will hold a fund-raising event next month for Mr. Robertson's widow, Carol, and his two daughters, Casey, 5, and Kelly, 1.

Sheriff Pepersack said that the fund-raiser was originally conceived with the idea that Mr. Robertson would recover but would face heavy medical bills. Although the bills for over a month at Shock Trauma haven't all come in, funds will be needed to supplement Mr. Robertson's insurance coverage, Sheriff Pepersack said. Any surplus after medical bills are paid will go toward the girls' education, he said.

Mr. Robertson was born and reared in the Perry Hall section of Baltimore County and graduated from Perry Hall High School in 1975. He joined the Marines in 1978 and served at Camp Lejeune, N.C., until his discharge in 1981.

He began working for Baltimore County as a Detention Center guard in 1982, the year the new facility opened on Kenilworth Drive in Towson. He became a deputy sheriff in 1987.

He married the former Carol Diegel in 1984.


Active in a private search and rescue group called Mid-Atlantic D.O.G.S., Mr. Robertson used his expertise in dog training to help form a K-9 unit, principally to help patrol the Towson County Courts Building and respond to bomb threats there.

An expert marksman, Mr. Robertson served as firearms instructor at the Detention Center.

He was a member of the Pythagoras Masonic Lodge 123.

Besides his wife and children, Mr. Robertson is survived by his mother, Doris M. Robertson, and his sister Heather Goulden, both of Baltimore County.

The fund-raiser for Mr. Robertson's family will be from 7 p.m. to 11 p.m. Dec. 1 at the Timonium Fairgrounds 4-H Hall. Tickets are $20.

The sheriff's office is also accepting donations for the officer's family.


Contributions may be sent to the Robbie Robertson Fund, Office of the Sheriff of Baltimore County, 401 Bosley Ave., Towson, Md. 21204.


Raymond R. Kyle


Raymond R. Kyle, a retired Baltimore firefighter who was active in church and fraternal groups, died Sunday after a blood vessel burst while he was on a cruise on the Mississippi River near Baton Rouge, La.

A Mass of Christian burial for Mr. Kyle, who was 71 and had moved from Brooklyn to Ocean City seven years ago, was to be offered at 11 a.m. today at St. Rose of Lima Roman Catholic Church, 3803 Fourth St. in Brooklyn.


He retired in 1973 from Engine Co. 2 at Light and Montgomery streets after 25 years in the department, 21 of them in Curtis Bay and three years as an instructor at the Fire Academy.

A native of Baltimore, he was a graduate of St. Mary Star of the Sea School. During World II, he served with the infantry in Africa and Italy, attaining the rank of sergeant.

In the Knights of Columbus, he was a former member of the Monsignor Ripple Council in Baltimore, a grand knight of the Ocean City Council and a member of the Monsignor Mickle Assembly of the Fourth Degree in Salisbury.

An extraordinary minister of the Eucharist at St. Luke's and St. Andrew's Parish in Ocean City, he did volunteer work there and at St. Rose of Lima.

He is survived by his wife, the former Dolores George; a son, Don Kyle of Grasonville; and a sister, Margaret Karcher of Ocean City.

The family suggested memorial contributions to the St. Luke's ,, and St. Andrew's building fund, Post Office Box 2117MBS, Ocean City, Md. 21842.


Pinkie C. Sledge

Helped the sick

Pinkie C. Sledge, a retired homemaker for the sick and disabled, died Saturday of a respiratory illness at Sinai Hospital.

Services for Mrs. Sledge, who was 76 and lived in the Bernard E. Mason Apartments in West Baltimore, were to be conducted at noon today at the First Baptist Church of Fairfield, 16109 Brady Ave.

Mrs. Sledge retired in 1981 after 25 years with the Family and Children's Society, helping clients at their homes. Earlier, she had worked as a nurse's aide at Crownsville State Hospital and the Johns Hopkins Hospital.

The former Pinkie Jones was born and reared in Jackson, N.C., and came to Baltimore in 1936.


She was a Worthy Matron of the Ruth Chapter of the Order of the Eastern Star and president of the Wide Awake Pals, a social club. She was a member of First Baptist Church for more than 50 years.

Mrs. Sledge was also a cook and baker who was known for her German chocolate cake.

She is survived by a daughter, Twila S. Driggins of North Brunswick, N.J.; and three granddaughters.

C. Vincent Martin Jr.

Director of purchasing

C. Vincent Martin Jr., retired director of purchasing, contracts and transportation for the Davison Chemical Division of W. R. Grace & Co., died Wednesday of kidney failure at the Manor Care-Ruxton Nursing and Rehabilitation Center.


A Mass of Christian burial for Mr. Martin, who was 82 and lived on Range Road in Towson, was to be offered at 11 a.m. today at Immaculate Conception Roman Catholic Church, Baltimore and Ware avenues in Towson.

Mr. Martin retired in 1966 after starting with what was then the Davison Chemical Co. in 1935. He was a member of the National Association of Purchasing Management.

Born in Richmond, Va., he earned an industrial engineering degree in 1931 and worked as a trust teller for Central National Bank in Richmond before coming to Baltimore.

An officer in the Army Reserve after his graduation from college, he was called to active duty in 1941 and served as an anti-aircraft artillery officer during World War II, reaching the rank major before leaving the service in 1946. He was awarded the Bronze Star while serving in the Philippines.

He was a former member of the advisory board of St. Joseph Hospital.

He is survived by his wife, the former Virginia Jewell; a sister, Mildred M. Polley of Richmond; a brother, Donald T. Martin of Jacksonville, Fla.; and many nieces and nephews.


F: The family suggested donations to St. Joseph Hospital.

Margaret E. Butts

Gift shop owner

Margaret E. Butts, a former Towson gift and fabric shop owner, died Monday at the Dulaney-Towson Nursing and Convalescent Center of Parkinson's disease and complications.

Services for Mrs. Butts, who was 70 and lived on Dunblane Road in Towson, were to be conducted at 10 a.m. today at the Ruck Towson Funeral Home, 1050 York Road.

Mrs. Butts owned and operated the Foreign Fair in the 1970s. She had also worked during World War II as an inspector at the Bendix Radio Division in Towson and later in the 1940s as a buyer for the Park Plaza Hotel.


The former Margaret E. Kramer was born in Baltimore and educated in the public schools.

After studying art at the Maryland Institute, she painted in oils. While living in Orlando, Fla., from 1957 until 1962, she became active in the Central Florida Ceramics Association, which gave her its Freddy Award for her pottery glazes. More recently, she was active in art classes at the Bykota House.

Her husband, William F. Butts, is a retired director of finance for the Mass Transit Administration and a former employee of the Martin Marietta Corp.

She is also survived by a daughter, Margaret Gael Hart of New Castle, Ind.; a brother, George E. Kramer of Apollo Beach, Fla.; and two grandchildren.

Charles W. Hayes

Delivery foreman


Charles W. Hayes, a retired route foreman for Delivery of Baltimore, died Monday at the Chesapeake Manor Nursing Home of complications of Parkinson's and Alzheimer's diseases.

Services for Mr. Hayes, who was 79 and lived in Glen Burnie, were to be conducted at 11 a.m. today at the Singleton Funeral Home, 1 Second Ave. S.W., in Glen Burnie.

Mr. Hayes retired in 1978 after 44 years, working first as a driver and then laying out the routes for the department store delivery company.

The Baltimore native was educated in the public schools and was a former Arbutus resident.

He is survived by his wife of 54 years, the former Bernadette M. Readmond; a son, Charles R. Hayes of Richmond, Va.; a daughter, Kathleen M. Wagner of Annapolis; four sisters, Ann Kirschbaum of Arnold, Thelma Johnson of Reisterstown, Theresa Mox of Baltimore and Madeline Battaglia of Ellicott City; five grandchildren; and four great-grandchildren.

John H. Merson


Lumber yardman

John H. Merson, a lumber yardman for the Laurel Building Supply Co., died Wednesday of cancer at his home in Severn.

Services for Mr. Merson, who was 60 and lived in Laurel, were to be conducted at 1 p.m. today at the Singleton Funeral Home, 1 Second Ave. S.W., Glen Burnie.

A native of Beltsville who was reared in Laurel, he had worked for the building materials company for many years.

Mr. Merson served in the Army in the Korean War. He was an automobile racing fan and liked to play horseshoes.

He is survived by his wife of 30 years, the former Judy A. Merson; three daughters, Rebecca M. Galloway of Hanover, Linda D. Denton of Chesapeake Beach and Jeanie M. Henning of Severn; two brothers, Warren Merson of Pasadena and Woodrow Merson of Elkridge; two sisters, Betty Farley of Glen Burnie and Ruth Squitieri of Annapolis; seven grandchildren; and four great-grandchildren.


Daniel L. Heiser

Gas station operator

Services for Daniel Leighton Heiser, who was killed along with a would-be robber Monday in an exchange of gunfire at his Catonsville gas station, were to be conducted at 11 a.m. today at the Fairview United Methodist Church, 13916 Jarrettsville Pike in Phoenix.

Mr. Heiser, who was 47 and lived on Sunset Lane in Phoenix, had owned the Sunoco station on Baltimore National Pike near Rolling Road for about four years.

Earlier, he had worked for the Chessie System Railroads as head of office systems, design and renovation in Baltimore for about five years.

Also, he had operated his own home improvement business and had worked for the State Department of Transportation.


Born in Baltimore, he was a graduate of the Polytechnic Institute who attended Western Maryland College before his graduation from the University of Maryland at College Park. He also held a master's degree in urban planning from Morgan State University.

Mr. Heiser served in the Army in the early 1970s.

He is survived by his wife, the former Susan Ann Tabor; two sons, Christopher Daniel Heiser and Benjamin Daniel Heiser, both of Phoenix; a sister, Virginia A. Rozema of Phoenix; and two nephews.

Trust funds for his sons have been established at the Sparks State Bank.