Students hope to read their way across U.S.
Northwest Middle School in Taneytown is participating in a reading incentive program called Discover America to encourage pride, independent reading and positive attitudes among the students.
The goal is a 10-state trek across the United States. Each time the students reach 100,000 minutes of reading, another state is "traveled."
Denike is new liaison to Taneytown chamber
Taneytown Councilman Thomas J. Denike was selected as the City Council liaison to the city's Chamber of Commerce during last Monday's monthly meeting.
Mr. Denike, a member of the chamber, will attend the monthly meetings of the organization as council representative and relay any pertinent information through his monthly committee report.
Public utility crew receives new uniforms
The five men on Taneytown's public utility crew received new uniforms Nov. 9, City Manager Joseph A. Mangini said. The 11 shirts and five pairs of slacks cost the city $1,650, $850 less than they allotted to spend.
The City Council voted last month to purchase the uniforms, rather than rent them, for their employees. Maintaining the uniform is the responsibility of the worker, Mr. Mangini said.
* Harney: Units from Harney, Taneytown and Barlow of Adams County, Pa., battled a chimney fire on Conover Road at 7:57 p.m. Saturday night. Units were on the scene for one hour, 43 minutes.
* New Windsor: New Windsor responded to an auto fire on Springdale Road at 6:38 p.m. Saturday. Units were on the scene for 53 minutes.
* Taneytown: Units from Taneytown, Harney and Kingsdale of Adams County, Pa., responded to a shed fire on Hyser Road at 12:48 p.m. Saturday. Units were on the scene for 30 minutes.
* Taneytown: Taneytown responded for an investigation on Red Tulip Court at 10:23 p.m. Friday. Units were out for 17 minutes.
* Union Bridge: Firefighters from the Union Bridge fire station helped Frederick County volunteers battle a silo fire discovered at 2:33 a.m. Friday. The Carroll County crews were out of service for 3 1/2 hours.