Where can collector sell memorabilia dealing with cats?

Q: I have inherited hundreds of pieces of cat memorabilia. Where can I sell my collection?

A: Write to the Cat Collectors club, which offers an annual membership and bimonthly publication for $18 a year, or $4 an issue, available from the club, in care of Marilyn Dipboye, 33161 Wendy Drive, Sterling Heights, Mich. 48310; phone (313) 264-0285. Desirable cat items are described in the 1993 "Antique Trader Antiques and Collectibles Price Guide," edited by Kyle Husfloen, available for $14.95 postpaid from the Antique Trader, Box 1050, Dubuque, Iowa 52004-9986. An article on Louis Wain's cat illustrations appeared in the October issue of Paper Collectors' Marketplace, available for $3 postpaid from 470 Main St., Box 128, Scandinavia, Wis. 54977; phone (715) 467-2379.


Q: I have a 14-karat gold tie bar and cuff link set engraved with the presidential seal (about the size of a dime). Such sets were given to employees as Christmas gifts by President Johnson. How can I find out the value or find a buyer?

A: Write to the National Cuff Link Society, in care of Eugene Klompus, Box 346, Prospect Heights, Ill. 60070; phone (708) 632-0561. Annual club membership of $20 includes a quarterly newsletter or write to Mr. Klompus, enclosing a photo of the set and an addressed, stamped envelope for a reply. Other sources include the American Political Items Collectors, Box 340339, San Antonio, Texas 78234, phone (512) 655-8277, and the Presidential Museum, 622 N. Lee St., Odessa, Texas 79761, phone (915) 332-7123.


Q: Where can we inquire about an old pump organ made by the Bridgeport Organ Co. of Bridgeport, Conn.? Penciled on the front directly under the keyboard is "Jan. 04, 1901 D.K.," although we've been told the Victorian style organ is much older. Is there a collector's club that can tell us its history?

A: Write to the Reed Organ Society at the Musical Museum, in care of Arthur Sanders, Box 901, Deansboro, N.Y. 13328; phone (315) 841-8774. Enclose a photo and description of the organ and an addressed, stamped envelope for a reply. Or send $12.50 for an annual membership and quarterly bulletin.

Q: Where can I find old doorknobs, locks and similar hardware?

A: Write to the Antique Doorknob Collectors of America, Box 126, Eola, Ill. 60519-0126, which offers an annual membership and bimonthly publication for $20; or phone editor Ray Nemec at (708) 357-2381 for information. Other sources: Liz's Antique Hardware, 453 S. La Brea, Los Angeles, Calif. 90036, phone (213) 939-4403, and Ron's Knobs 'N' Knockers Inc., 1214 1/2 S. 5th St., Aurora, Ill. 60505.

Q: Can you put me in touch with Clifford Boram of the Antique Stove Association? I'm looking for parts to restore an old cast-iron cookstove.

A: For information on ASA publications and sources for antique stove parts, phone Mr. Boram at (219) 583-6465.

Write to Anita Gold at the Chicago Tribune, 435 N. Michigan Ave., Chicago, Ill. 60611.